Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cutekitty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Hook up for dsl phone jack?
    I ordered high speed internet from AT&T although I do not have AT&T for phone service. The tech installed what he calls a dry loop, and then told me that I have to run a phone jack to that line. The problem is, he worked outside, and I do not know what terminal to hook up the jack to. Any ideas would be great, Thanks:D
    PoliticallyCorrect Posts: 58, Reputation: 3

Oct 27, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cutekitty
    I ordered high speed internet from AT&T altho I do not have AT&T for phone service. The tech installed what he calls a dry loop, and then told me that I have to run a phone jack to that line. The problem is, he worked outside, and I do not know what terminal to hook up the jack to. Any ideas would be great, Thanks:D
    Your dsl comes in through your existing phone line. A splitter allows you to use both phone and internet simultaneously. You should set up your modem on the first telephone point inside the house as this will provide the cleanest signal.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2007, 04:42 PM
    That's odd. You may get charged for two lines. If your paying more than $40, I'd say your paying too much.

You might have got lucky and he installed a splitter at the NID. This is the best way to go unless the line will be DSL only then you don't need splitters.

It's very possible, that in order to provide DSL from another provider, they, in effect grab a dry pair and connect it to the nearest green box that can provide DSL service.

Post a picture of the customer side of the NID. If you really want help open both sides and take a picture.

Line 1 is usually the blue/white pair.

I had the telco guy at least run outdoor cable to the inside of the house, but not terminate it except for the telco line. So, I had 4 pair to deal with and I put DSL on line #4.
    XxRoosterXx Posts: 44, Reputation: 9

Oct 27, 2007, 04:46 PM
    Doesn't sound like she has dial tone. If I am understanding correctly the tech brought the dsl service up to the demarc on the side of the house. Everything past that point is deregulated in which you are required to either hire someone, possibly the phone company, or do the rest of the work yourself. Basically the tech should have tagged the line outside for you to run wires to. If not call them up and ask them to tag the line so you know where to run wires to. Good luck to you.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2007, 05:07 PM
    Here is a discussion about "dry loop" DSL where no dial tone is provided. DSL WITHOUT DIAL TONE - CNET Broadband Forums

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to change wiring on phone jack for DSL [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I need help! I have only one phone jack in room with computer. It is a separate line and number different from my home phone. I am getting DSL and will no longer need this separate number. When I cancel this number for cpu that line will be dead(I Think). I ordered my DSL on my regular...

Filters on phone lines for DSL [ 2 Answers ]

My question involves moving my DSL from one phone jack to another. When I first got DSL I received a kit with all of the filters. Problem was the filters did not work for some reason. So my phone company sent a technician to install filters directly on the line. That worked great. Now I've...

DSL jack wiring [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am a total novice to DSL and don't know completely how it works with existing phone lines. Will I have to rewire all of the jacks in my house to split the phone service from the DSL or does the wall jack just split the service? The wiring in my house 25 years old and the multi colored stuff....

DSL-hook up problems [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: I am trying to hook up my DSL service at home and want to make sure I'm doing it right... I'm not exactly a computer expert to put it lightly OK in dummy terms, I put filters on all of my phone jacks... then on the jack I'm using for the DSL connection, I plugged the ethernet cable into...

DSL and wiring phone jacks [ 1 Answers ]

I have phone svc through SBC and DSL stand alone through Qwest; was assigned a separate phone # for dsl svc and was told could not "piggyback" on same phone jack; trying to avoid paying $100 svc fee to qwest; have purchased separate jack but don't know what wires to attach where. Can anyone help?

View more questions Search