Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nprof1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2007, 04:44 PM
    A Disease that makes a Person Age Quickly / Fast
    I am interesred in finding out about and the name of a disease that makes a person age potentially severial years in each normal year. Robin Williams supposedly had this disease as the chacter Jack in his movie by the same name "Jack".
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2007, 05:34 PM
    Are you thinking about progeria, or Hutchinson-Gilford progeria Syndrome?

Progeria is a rare genetic condition characterized by an appearance of accelerated aging in children. Generally, children that are 10 years of age will have the same respitory, muscular, and general health of a 70 year old adult.

The general characteristics are dwarfism, baldness, a pinched nose, small face and jaw relative to head size, delayed tooth formation, aged-looking skin, stiffness of joints, hip dislocations, generalized atherosclerosis, and cardiovascular problems. Most children affected have a remarkably similar appearance, despite racial background. At present, there is no cure or specific treatment available because the exact cause in unknown.

Associated Disease: Werner Syndrome
    AKA: Progeria of the adult

More Information: The Progeria Research Foundation
    Source: THE PROGERIA SYNDROME FACT SHEET
    Written by W. Ted Brown, MD, PhD
    Professor and Chairman, Dept. Of Human Genetics
    NYS Institute for Basic Research
    Staten Island, NY

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Artificial person vs. Natural person? [ 9 Answers ]

How would the court deal with a natural person vs, artificial person? By definition a artificial person is a corporation (strawman) which the court would have jurisdication. How does the court deal with a natural person, a human being? How does the court obtain jurisdication over a human being? ...

Disease makes children appear to age quickly [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to find the name of a disease that makes children appear to age very quickly.. Any information anyone can give me will be very helpful. I saw this on a talk show years ago but cannot think of what it was. Children around the ages of 8-10 looked like they were small senior...

Need answers quickly ! [ 1 Answers ]

OK now.. she's 16 and I'm 23, I know we're not supposed to have anything in common , and you can't think of anything that I would be interested in other than her physical attraction.. true but not entirely, she's very smart and mature, doesn't matter, I know.. I just want to know if it is OK in...

Please help quickly [ 4 Answers ]

Hi my name is Laura Hall, and I was born on the 21st of febraury and I need to no my future because I have been told I don't have a good life ahead please help. Laura

View more questions Search