Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TamTam1 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2007, 08:51 AM
    Why are my pipes humming?
    I built and moved in in 1999. I live on a slab, so my plumbing is running through the walls and under the slab I assume. About 3 or 4 years ago when turning on the hot water I started to hear a humming sound in the pipes. I turned off the water and it went away. A few times since then it's happened again, and I'll go into the garage where the pipes are coming out of the wall near the water heater, and hit the pipes, and that humming sound will go away. It may even be gone for a year without doing it again. WELL, the sound is back, and this time hitting the pipes does not get rid of it. It comes and goes when I turn the water on. It's not consistent, but it's getting worse and louder. What should I do? Is it something simple that I can do or do I need to call a plummer? Do you think it's an easy fix? I'm a young girl (widowed) so I have no idea where to start, but I hate calling a plummer for something so little if I can fix it myself. Plus I live on a budget.
    Thanks so much for your help!

Oct 25, 2007, 11:32 AM
    One answer from a plumber this morning over the phone was that it could be because I have a timer on my sprinkler in the front yard so there is always water pressure waiting to be released from that hose daily... I turned that all off and it still appears to be making that sound... any thoughts?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 25, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Humming=vibration from somewhere. Shut the cold water supply valve to the water heater off. Did the humming stop? If it did the problem's in the hot water system. Listen around and feel the pipes and attempt to track it down where it's the loudest.
    Now start turning stuff off and back on. Did the noise stop at any time? Back to you. Tom

Oct 30, 2007, 08:51 AM
    I'll try those things... thanks...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Humming noise in water pipes [ 6 Answers ]

Whenever we run water in the house there is a humming sound about 30 seconds after water is turned off. It sounds like a water pump running, but we have city water. Seems to only happen in summer not when weather cools down. How much trouble am I in? Thanks! Hinsdale

Humming Pipes [ 2 Answers ]

There's a loud humming noise and it vibrates kind of too. It started this morning when I was cleaning our upstatirs bathroom. It does stop when you turn on the water in the basement or the wash machine runs. I t has also stopped when toilets are flushed until some one turn on the sink faucets...

Frozen pipes - detecting burst pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Cold side of the kitchen faucet was frozen this a.m. Trickle returned this evening, followed by an immediate drop in hot faucet pressure - then some brownish water - the brownish water lasted 20 seconds - but the pressure is still low 1/3 pressure now and can get both some hot and some cold Have...

Humming pipes [ 1 Answers ]

:mad: :D Hi Why do my pipes hum. When I run the hot tap for a bath, flush the toilet then turn the hot tap off the pipes hum and make a loud noise. I have a combi boiler. Yes I had the plumber out and it didn`t do it when he was there.Typical.It did it when he had left though.LOL:D :rolleyes:

Humming pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, over the last couple of days there was like a roaring noise that would go off at different times in the house. I narrowed it down to the water pipes. Under the bathroom sink, if you put your hand on the cold water, you can feel the vibration, but not on the hot. While the noise is...

View more questions Search