Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2005, 12:06 PM
    Gift for the nun who has everything...
    I wasn't sure whether to put this topic in etiquette or religion, but I thought in religion people might know more about nuns, so...

One of the Sisters who taught at my boarding school had cancer and beat it! I was just invited to a party to celebrate. I was not asked to bring a gift, but this Sister was one of my favorites at school and I didn't even know she had been sick (nuns seem to be quite secretive about this stuff). Anyway I want to bring her something, but I'm not sure what you would get a nun, given that she's taken a vow of poverty and I know for a fact that these Sisters definitely live quite sparsely. Still, I want to show my appreciation for what a great teacher she was, and also how glad I am that she is all right.

I am an artist, and I usually give gifts of my art, like a painting or a sketch. However, the party is tomorrow and I don't think I'll have time to whip up anything by then. I have a lot of "spare" artwork on hand, but I had thought of painting her something religious, and I don't have anything like that. Anyway, just wondering what people think would be appropriate for her. I thought of just giving her a card saying that I am painting something for her and that it will be ready in a week's time, but is that tacky? Any comments or ideas would be appreciated.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 30, 2005, 12:19 PM
    Hmm. Maybe you could get her some flowers or um some sort of music to listen to. How about a nice book?
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2005, 12:26 PM
    Thanks crankiebabie... those are good ideas except for I wouldn't know what kind of book or music to get her... actually I don't her that well, other than she was my teacher. I don't know what she's like outside of that capacity. But good ideas... and I might actually go with the flowers because that's pretty hard to screw up.

I guess I should have mentioned to everyone too that these nuns are not the "modern" kind who wear street clothes. These are Ukrainian Catholic nuns who wear a full habit and are semi-cloistered.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2005, 12:33 PM
    The two nuns at my church also rent apartments from me. We are fairly close.

For them this year, we bought two pies from the School Fundraiser - then donated them to a local soup kitchen in their name... and said so in a christmas card to them.

That was my wife's idea.

My idea was to give a gift certificate to a local Catholic Book/Gift store (we have 3 big ones, actually).

I liked my idea better, but my wife makes the calls on stuff like that. :p
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2005, 12:53 PM
    Ooooh I like the gift certificate idea, Rick! Then she could get herself a rosary or a crucifix or something LOL. I am being bad now! :p But I think she would like that sort of thing. Your wife's idea of the donation is very good too. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 30, 2005, 01:03 PM
    Gift
    Nuns are people just like everyone, many do not "own" as much personally others have more.

A gift certificate to someplace like a nice book store, walmart and also a very nice restaurant. Often they will not spend their own money for going out and eating, with a gift certificate this will make them enjoy a nice meal out.

And if you do a gift certificate try to make it enough for two, so she can take a friend, or another nun with them
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2005, 01:12 PM
    Thanks Fr Chuck... more great ideas! I don't think nuns in this order ever eat out though, except maybe when they're travelling. They've been to my house a couple of times and they won't even accept a coffee. Like I said they are semi-cloistered. But yeah if she can go on some kind of an outing with another nun that would be cool. I also just got the idea that I should call the Sister Superior (my former principal, errr... ) and ask her what they can and can't do. That will help with the gift.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 30, 2005, 04:32 PM
    Perhaps another thread we can do nun stories
    Yes, there was one Rev Mother, I remembe the ones that called those little rulers and ****** you when you mis-behaved ( not that I ever misbehaved)

I still have a little fear of a nun in full habit , esp the older ones.
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2005, 10:12 AM
    Yes!!
    Nun stories! I love it! :p I have LOTS...

I can understand being scared of them a bit Fr Chuck. They can be mean and very condescending haha. Usually though I found them to be more helpful to me than anything.

The Sister Superior I mentioned in my last post, who was my principal... she used to smack anyone who was late for mass. It wasn't abuse, it didn't really hurt or anything, it was just VERY humiliating. At boarding school, we had to attend mass in the chapel, every morning before breakfast. I and some other girls seemed to be perpetually late, I guess because it was morning and we had trouble getting out of bed. So we'd be rushing down the hall to get to the chapel, and Sister Superior would be just standing there at the edge of the open door, waiting to strike like a cobra or something LOL. When you rushed through the door she'd half smack you, half push you into the chapel and whisper "you're late AGAIN". Haha anyway that's my nun story for the day.

Funny, now that I'm an adult, she's so nice and gracious.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need SERIOUS Help with gift idea! [ 6 Answers ]

I am 22 years old and have been bestest friends with Tess since we were 4 years old, yep that's 18 years - a really old time. She is very dear to me and the truest friend I've ever had but that also means we've given each other every possible B-day and Christmas gift under the sun. Seriously, I am...

Gift certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I revived a gift certificate from my job for $300.00 when I went to use it to pay for the hotels the travel agent took his commission out of my certificate can he do that?

Gift taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, THanks for you great advices and suggestions. I have a question? If your friend gives you some money as gift like around $15,000 Do we need to pay taxes on it? If yes how much tax do we need to pay

Engagement Gift [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. Well one of my very good friends just got engaged recently and I wanted to know if its approprate to get him/her a sort of congratulation gift, or is that a bad idea. Should I just save my money and wait for the wedding? :)

View more questions Search