Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shoegal Posts: 263, Reputation: 18

Oct 22, 2007, 05:56 PM
    I need to prevent my period!
    Hello!
    So My period isn't supposed to be until Monday, oct. 29. Well, I am going up north this weekend and our whole extended family goes on many hour long hikes, some lasting 12 hours (all day)
    We're up in the woods, no bathrooms anywhere, and we always say to go before we leave, because otherwise you'll have to do the deed in the woods :)
    Well, I'm leaving Thursday and I can already feel it coming early! My breasts hurt and I have cramps, I'd say I'll get it tomorrow or Wednesday. I'm freaking out! I cannot have a period on this vacation, I have a heavy flow and I change my tampons every 2-3 hours in the beginning, which is not possible with a group of guys on a 12 hour hike with no bathrooms! This is seriously an emergency, so here's my question: Is there anyway to prevent my period or make it lighter? I know models don't get there's because they don't eat enough, so if I don't eat much, will that stop it? I don't care what it takes anymore, even if it's unhealthy (please no lectures I'm usually a health nut) but this is major! Can anyone help me or have any suggestions?? Thanks sooo much!
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 06:08 PM
    Okay first of all, not eating will only stop your period if you starve yourself for a long time, and DO NOT do that. It's unhealthy and can cause permanent damage to your body. It would take several months for that to cause your period to stop anyway.

There really is no way to prevent your period, honestly, unless you manipulate your cycles with hormone birth control pills. I know how you feel though.. when I was in high school I had my period a week early right before prom, and my dress was snow white. What a scary night.
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 06:12 PM
    If your period is heavy, which mine used to be, I would suggest reducing salt and sugar intake, cutting out caffeine, and exercising a bit. It will cause your periods to be lighter. And to avoid the symptoms like breast soreness and cramps, a few tylenol will do the trick, or if you have bloating, using midol or a diuretic. :)
    shoegal Posts: 263, Reputation: 18

Oct 22, 2007, 06:29 PM
    That prom story is scary! I would have been scared too! :)
    What do salt and sugar do exactly? I have been exercising to try to make it lighter. I heard ibuprofen makes it lighter too. I'm not sure though
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 06:33 PM
    It was still fun, just a very careful and very check-my back-filled night. Good memories from high school, yeah? XD

Anyway, sugars and especially salts help store fluid and they store fluid EVERYWHERE in your body, including in the blood that accumulates to make the make your menstrual flow, so reducing sugars, and SALTS especially, will cause you to not only have slightly lighter periods, but you also might drop a little weight, and that's something I kind of want to do every once in a while. =P

I'm not sure about ibuprofen affecting your menstrual cycles, but you can probably Google that?
    beautyqueen1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2011, 03:01 PM
    OMG! MY PERIOD LEAKED EVERYWHERE ON PROM! IT SUCKED! And soooo embarrassing... :(
    Safida Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2011, 03:46 AM
    Thanks for asking such I controversial question!! Sorry I can't help you with lightening your period I hope this will help with managinig

Creating a Backcountry Period Kit

1 small, dark colored, opaque bag or stuff sack
    3 small Ziplock bags
    1 travel pack of baby wipes (for cleaning purposes)
    A generous supply of tampons (tampons are much easier to deal with than pads, but if you have to use pads, go ahead). Tampons without an applicator (like OB) are ideal because they produce the least waste & take up the least space in your pack.
    Directions:

Take the tampons (or pads) out of the box and put them all into one Ziplock bag to protect them from the rain.
    Put the travel pack of baby wipes inside a second Ziplock bag to ensure they stay moist
    Keep the third Ziplock bag empty to use as a mini-garbage for used supplies. All dirty baby wipes, used tampons, and tampon wrappers should go into the garbage Ziplock. If you are concerned about odor, you can put a used tea bag in the garbage Ziplock.
    Put all three bags inside the opaque bag. Voila: you have a self-contained period kit! On the hike, you should keep this in an accessible part of your pack.

Try using overnight pads which won't have to change so often.Hope it will help.Good luck :)
    Razefrazz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2011, 11:38 AM
    Uggggggggh omg
    I have a gymnastics nationals meet up in Ohio in one week
    And I am so afraid that I might get it next week eaither during or before
    The meet
    Please help
    Remember we compete in a leotard :(
    Helpmedancer Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2011, 08:19 PM
    I am absolutely terrified of using tampons. Even if I try I can't do it for the life of me. I dance everyday wearing pink tights and a leotard. I dread the one week out of every month that I can't dance as well as I usually can or go swimming. I'm supposed to get my next period the day I leave for vacation is there anything I can do without taking any pills? Im a little too young for birth control. Any tips would help me... Tell me what's worked for u! I'll do anything!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2011, 10:55 PM

This thread is from 2007, long dead. The only people who will see this are people who have already answered the question.
    littlemissme411 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2012, 11:19 AM
    I haven't actually had my period but I'm so worried so I read a lot about preventing it or making it lighter what I learned is hot baths and exercising helps
    TashaJane Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2012, 03:06 AM
    I need urgent help! Ive been getting my period for about 3 years now and usually expect it around the 15th-25th and lately my period has started to come earlier every month, like heaps earlier...
    In Novemember, I have a major sporting event to go to during the 1st to the 6th and I'm worried I could get my period during this time because of all the earliness. If I do get my period during that time, I won't be able to perform as well. The worst part is, there are coaches and selectors coming from all over the country to watch us and if I don't perform well, this could be the make or break of my future dreams. This event only happens once every 2 years and if I don't make it this time, Im basically screwed.
    Is there anyway I can stop my period for a while or at least regulate it?
    I heard there was some rod thing that a doctor can put in your arm that realease hormones that can prevent pregnancy and either regulate your period or completely stop it. But I'm not just sure if that is just a rumor or not.
    P.S - Bit too young for birth pills and mum might get the wrong idea...
    now34 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2013, 10:12 AM
    Well, for me, exercising helped prolong getting it for a day or two. However, it depends when you start exercising and I haven't done that in years so I'm not sure if it is a week before or a day or two before. Exercising at the wrong time will make it come earlier, I've had that happen too. But something else that I've heard works is consuming lemon juice. I'm not sure on the amount or when to take it. I'm guessing a week before should be fine and safe bits such as a couple of spoonfuls each day. But I'm not sure on this either.

And not eating well or lots for a while does work. But like someone mentioned it is unhealthy. I had a friend in high school who hadn't gotten her period in one year and was concerned because she wanted to get it back. I suggested she eat more (starchy foods specially like potatoes) and to think about a boy she liked. It worked, within a few weeks she got it back.

If I had to go hiking I would probably use two or one of the heaviest pads available, double underwear, and shorts underneath my pants--And I actually wear tights (cut short) over my underwear. They make you feel fitted, more comfortable and lessen bulges. Or why not incontinence diapers? And I would take a couple of garbage bags taped/stapled together to cover myself as much as possible while in the bushes. And wipes would be a must.
    lindsaylovee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2013, 08:35 PM
    - Drinking a lot of water or juice can help you to get a light period. - Eating green beans for example are known to help you slow your menstrual period. - Eating healthy, making a point to ingest a lot of fruits and vegetables can also help you to get easy period symptoms. - Mixing a package of gelatin together with mineral water and rapidly ingesting the mixture can stop your period for approximately four hours. - Drinking two or three teaspoons of vinegar mixed into a glass of mineral water can also help slow your menstrual flow and calm the other symptoms. To get the best effects, take this cure two or three times a day. - Sucking on a bit of lemon can help you to temporarily stop your period. - Taking a shower or bath can also help temporarily delay or stop your menstrual period.2) Utilize Menstrual  Flexible Cups You can use Menstrual  Flexible Cups that is worn internally, in the natural space under the cervix and behind the pubic bone where it conforms to your body that help in collecting menstrual flow. Menstrual  cups doesn’t stop your period however it inhibits blood from flowing by the vagina, such as a tampon, but the difference between a menstrual cup and a tampon is that the tampon is responsible for absorbing the menstrual flow and the menstrual cup only collects it. You can use it for about 10 hours. Remember that menstrual cups doesn’t prevent pregnancy. How to Stop Your Period When You Have It 3) Taking Medications NSAIDs such as ibuprofen, are analgesic (painkillers) that can also be advised for stopping your period. It help reduce cramps during menstruation. You can take them 2-3 times per day before your menstrual period and keep on using them until your menstrual period stops. GnRH–A can certainly minimize menstrual bleeding. However, they must only be taken temporary because they may be expensive and may make severe side effects (osteoporosis  or weak bones). 4) Use birth control pills The best method to stop your period is to take contraceptives or birth control. Before you take you should see your gynecologist or local doctor who will give you advice on which type will ideal suit your requirements. Your doctor will describe what to be expecting, what dosage to take, and also any risks involved. Birth control pills inhibit fertilization and ovulation. They can be in a patch form, injectable or oral. The best way to stop periods is to use oral contraceptives in pill form. These pills must be taken one cycle before the period that you do not want to have. When consumed on a regular basis as directed, you will stop getting periods. Once you stop taking pills, your menstrual periods will go back.5) Surgery Your gynecologist may recommend Surgical procedure to stop your period. This can occur in case you have some medical conditions that involves heavy menstrual bleeding like endometriosis or uterine fibroids. Your gynecologist may propose a hysterectomy (surgical removal of the womb). This will totally stop your period, but will be performed when the other surgical treatments aren’t successful. The other surgical methods include: - Myomectomy, refers to the surgical removal of uterine leiomyoma (fibroids). - Uterine artery embolization (UAE), - Endometrial ablation, There are other methods for you to get stopping your period, but they may not be very reliable or effective. So consult a gynecologist to give you the best method to delay or stop your menstrual period.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Meds to prevent sickness [ 3 Answers ]

I am around 16 kindergarteners everyday. Imagine the running noses and coughs I encounter. I am 14 weeks pregnant and am trying to prevent becoming sick. I know there is something you can take to help prevent getting sick. I think one brand is called airborne. It is something to boost your immune...

How to prevent miscarage [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I'm one of those worrying types and I was wondering what is the best way to prevent a miscarage ? If there is any tip or advice feel free to tell me thanxs again

How do you prevent premature graying? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my question is that I am only 23 years old and it looks like my hair is growing gray hairs as the days goes by. I do not know why. My father told me that he started having his when he was in his 30s but mine started when I was 19 and it looks like I have about 20 of them at this time and it is...

Can I prevent a judgement [ 4 Answers ]

Is there any means of preventing a debit collector or bank from obtaining a judgement against me? Do I have any legal methods prior to a judgement being filed?

View more questions Search