Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danepp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 02:26 PM
    Lethargic Cat
    My 12-year-old cat has become very lethargic in the last week. Eating is down but hasn't stopped. She still uses the litter box. She sleeps much more and seems to have lost all interest in initiating interraction. Visibly she seems the same.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 02:42 PM
    I know it's not what you want to hear, but as older cats' lives wind down, they seem to become more lethargic, eat less, sleep more, and are not as playful or energetic. If she is still behaving normally but just seems slow and lethargic, she is probably just really feeling her age, but if she stops eating or barely eats, sleeps all the time, and doesn't use the box much, you may be dealing with her final weeks. Hopefully kitty feels better. I know how much people love their kitties, I surely love mine.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Oct 22, 2007, 02:47 PM
    My cat didn't have as much energy as she got older either. You might want to take her to the vet just to make sure everything is OK. My vet told me that as long as they are eating, drinking, and using the litter box, they are probably OK as long as there are no symptoms. I hope kitty is OK!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 02:53 PM
    12 is not really that old for a cat. I have know several to live into the 20's. Take her to the vet for a check up it may be something as simple as an infection.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Yeah I'm not saying she's like, on her deathbed or anything, just age slows down an animal like it does people.
    omglulu57 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2011, 02:34 PM
    I know it's been ages; I'm hoping you will get a notification in your email or something that someone responded: This is exactly what is going on with my 12 yr old cat and I can't find any advise about it. If you get this can you tell me what was wrong with your cat? I'm so worried, I've had her since I was 13 :(.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat vomits hairball then gets lethargic and limp [ 10 Answers ]

?My cat gets completely out of it after vomiting a fur ball. He has lost control of his bladder and pants and drools... his eyes dialate and he is just not himself. My daughter found him on his back with his mouth wide open - it is very frightening, and the vet can find nothing wrong with him. I...

My cat is lethargic, what could be wrong? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have noticed over the last couple of days that my 12 year old cat is acting very lethargic, he is normally very active. I have also noticed that he only seems to be eating a very small amount of food & does not appear to be going to the toilet at all. Has anyone got any idea as to what may be...

Lethargic cat, meows very low [ 2 Answers ]

Since last night my cat has acted very strange. He is 5 years old. He makes that really low meowing sound like cats do if they are mad and hissed a lot. He licks his private area a lot and doesn't move around much or eat. If you call to him he used to come to you right away but you can't get...

Injured, lethargic and timid cat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My usually bouncy, happy, full of life 1yo has suddenly become lethargic and timid. He has stopped going outside, eats very little food and appears lethargic. I think he may have been in a fight or trapped somewhere for a while - he has lost a claw and has injuries to his paws. All other signs...

Recent Lethargic Twelve Year Old Female Cat [ 1 Answers ]

Very active... to sleeping all day and night, eating very little and not using the litter box at all. Have NEVER experienced this with any cat. I guess that a visit to the vet is very necessary. *sigh* :confused:

View more questions Search