Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    troywruck Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2007, 05:56 PM
    How do I "connect 1/2" copper to 1/2" flexible plastic"? Anyone?
    Hello Experts...

Amateur (very amateur!! ) plumber needing some advice:

Bought an old 2 1/2 storey house, and somebody ran some copper into the uninsulated side attic to feed the hot & cold water to a sink. This might not be a problem in California, but it sure is North of the border in Saskatchewan cold where it's 40 below a few months in the year.

Since we're renovating the bathroom professionally next year, I want to protect myself from freezing & bursting pipes... yet I still want to use the sink.

I've decided to run temporary lines inside the walls. The guy at home depot suggested that I just use flexible plastic rather than run 20 ft of copper and have solder several elbows as it would be much easier... I agreed.

I pot the flex and some plastic fittings... but then it struck me as odd to attach a plastic fitting to the old copper line... checked online, and I really haven't had much luck.

Any suggestions on how to connect my half inch flexible plastic to the copper line?

Your feed back would sincerely be appreciated... project is on hold until I hear from one of you wonderful experts.

Regards,
    Troy
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2007, 07:18 PM
    You can buy a copper fitting, or it might be brass, that will do what you want. The fitting will solder onto the copper and the other end of the fitting is barbed, They have a little band that slips onto the plastic, you then slip the plastic onto the barbed piece and then slip the ring down to the point on the fitting where the barbs are and then crimp the ring this makes the barbs bite into the plastic so that it will not slip off and it is a water tight joint. Do all of the soldering before you put any plastic on or you will melt the plastic.
    These are also made to adapt from threaded pipe to plastic.
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Oct 14, 2007, 07:28 PM
    I hope this helps check local codes to be sure you can use this in your application also speedball might have a better answer so we can see what he thinks . Any advice speedball gives is worth taking I assure you. GOOD LUCK, AC http://www.pexconnection.com/images/..._300_06343.jpg

This is a much better link I hope it will be more helpful If these fittings will work in your application they sell them at Lowe's and home depot at least they do here in southeast US. Pex Connection : Flair-It Transition Fittings : Transition Fitting 1/2"CTS x 1/2" CTS
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2007, 07:55 PM
    There are several ways to do it, most of them easier and needing fewer tools than the soldered/crimped fitting in the first answer. The second answer looks much like the CPVC compression unions I have had great success with. Other mechanical ways of anchoring the pipes may best with them. I have seen some other fitting at the big box stores meant for use with PEX, but they were expensive and I don't know if they are DIY friendly. One good solution is the Shark Tooth fitting. Yes, they are pricey, but almost fall together with no tools and stay together without support and without leaking. Ace hardware has them and the plumbing supplies, but not HD.

Before you drywall over any of the above, see what Tom or one of the other plumbers here has to say. I know what very amateur plumbers can make work, but not what building inspectors will allow. Unlike electricians, plumbers are allowed to hide some types of splices in the wall.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2007, 07:57 PM
    I have the answer to your question ::: You can get what is called ( A TRANSITION) it is a 58" brass fitting , you get one to go from 1/2' copper to 1/2' cpvc plastic .the cpvc glues on one end and the other end which goes on the copper, All you need is the glue , cutters , and 2 pairs of channel locks or 2 pair of adjustable jaw wrenchs .you will not have to do ANY SODERING.. IF I have answered your question and helped ,rate my ans .below good luck F.B.E. P.S. THE COPPER END IS (COMPRESSION)
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2007, 04:35 PM
    Tony Just What Kind Of Plastic Are You Talking About?? Is It Cpvcor Pvc Ro What?? Please Answer F.b.e.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

A/C or Heat does not work w/thermostat set "on" or "auto". [ 22 Answers ]

A/C or Heat doesn't work in "on" or "auto". Fan will not come on at the "on" position either. I changed the batteries in the thermostat. I also read somewhere to disconnect the "Y" and hold it to the "R" on the thermostat for two minutes. That will tell me if the thermostat is the problem. ...

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

Can not "copy", "paste" and "cut" ! [ 2 Answers ]

Last week, my laptop was infected by virus, I sent for repair. After that, I couldn't find "copy" and "cut", and"paste" is in grey colour ! What have to do to have them back ? Can someone help ? Thanks in advance !

View more questions Search