Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cudie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2007, 02:52 PM
    Should I use silicon gel to stop a faucet leak?
    HI, I need some advice -
    A plumber replaced 4 of our faucets with new ones. Problem - all 4 leaked if water was ever on top of the sink, e.g.. When washing the top of the faucet, water dripped below. Plumber returned once and tightened all connections, but they still dripped. He then declared that I was unreasonable since I wouldn't agree to simply use care and not allow any water on top of the sink. I wanted him to fix the problem, but he returned my check instead. My problem is how to best remedy this situation. A friend suggested that I put clear silicon gel around the faucets, thus creating a seal. Is this a good idea or should I hire someone to remove the faucets and install them correctly? I'm not sure that I can do it myself. Thanks for your help. Cudie
    SpaceRatt Posts: 29, Reputation: 7

Oct 13, 2007, 05:29 PM
    No, putting silicone on top of the leak will not do anything. You need to dis-assemble the faucets and used plumber's putty on the threads where it screws together.

Putting silicone will only make you have ugly , leaking faucets.

SpaceRat

P.S. I KNOW you are going to use silicone anyway, so when you are finished making a mess, and the problem isn't solved, go to the store and get some plumber's putty and do what I said. You kids never listen!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2007, 07:12 PM
    If the problem is that the plumber left off the gasket that goes between the sink and the faucet, the silicon should work. If your worker lost or damaged the gasket, somebody you pay to redo it may have trouble finding a good gasket.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2007, 07:29 PM
    You can get a new gasket to go between the sink and faucet from the manufacturer. The silicone will also make it difficult at best to remove the faucet in the future. And yes, the "clear" silicone WILL BECOME DISCOLORED AND "NASTY" LOOKING.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2007, 07:52 PM
    If you did not buy the faucets from the plumber I hope that you take into consideration that he did do the job you ask. He did not manufacture the faucets so I don't feel that he should be responsible for them leaking. On some faucets you buy there is no way to guarantee that the water will not run down through the faucets and through the sinks and drip on the floor of the cabinet.
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Oct 13, 2007, 08:13 PM
    I always use a little plumbers putty between the gasket and the counter top mostly just around the openings I do not have leaks and all is good. If you do use silicone make sure you only use a little and only around the openings and yes it will make future removal more difficult and yes it will discolor. It would probably stop the leak. I recommend plumbers putty. Good Luck

Oct 13, 2007, 09:56 PM
    Thanks everyone! I was a little suspicious of the silicon, that really why I asked the question. It might not be a gasket problem since I had different types of faucets and they all leakedd, so I'm going to try the putty first and will let you know how it worked. Tkanks again. Cudie.

Oct 14, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cudie
    HI, I need some advice -
    A plumber replaced 4 of our faucets with new ones. Problem - all 4 leaked if water was ever on top of the sink, eg. when washing the top of the faucet, water dripped below. Plumber returned once and tightened all connections, but they still dripped. He then declared that I was unreasonable since I wouldn't agree to simply use care and not allow any water on top of the sink. I wanted him to fix the problem, but he returned my check instead. My problem is how to best remedy this situation. A friend suggested that I put clear silicon gel around the faucets, thus creating a seal. Is this a good idea or should I hire someone to remove the faucets and install them correctly? I'm not sure that I can do it myself. Thanks for your help. Cudie
    Again, thanks to everyone who responded. You have most helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refractive index of Silicon [ 1 Answers ]

Good morning, any idea how to calculate both the real and imaginary parts of the complex index of refraction for silicon, for any wavelength of radiation, λ?

Faucet leak from middle hole - leak under cabinet [ 8 Answers ]

I hired plumber to install new faucet on my kitchen sink and bathroom basin. He did a good job with it, but while he was installing them he did not use silicon putty under the faucet gasket. I told him or remind him to do that but he still didn’t do it and told me you don’t need grout under new...

How to stop leak. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a "Delta" tub spout that drips. I tighted the screw on the cap and that did not slow the problem. Should I take off the escutcheon plate next?

Take apart faucet to repair leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Delta 2 handle kitchen faucet which I believe is a Peerless faucet. It has a long goose-neck spout and separate sprayer. How do I remove the handles. Does it take a washer, an O ring or both?

Bathtub Faucet Leak [ 1 Answers ]

I had this same problem in the summer of 2005. :( After using my shower, I'd cut off the water and the bathtub faucet would either drip slowly or moderately run. Had new washers put on in 2005. Just noticed (Oct 5 or 6 2006), that the same problem is reoccuring. Please verify for me the...

View more questions Search