Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blueruler Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Do I have a single or multi-stage heat pump? Want programmable thermostat.
    Hi, I'm looking to replace my thermostat with a new programmable one, and I'm trying to figure out which ones might be compatible with my heat pump. I'm having trouble determining even what type of heat pump I have. Any help would be appreciated!

Here is the information I have:

On the unit outside:
    BDP / Carrier
    Product #: 542EBX042000AAAF
    Model #: 542EB042

On the existing thermostat inside:
    Payne Heat Pump
    BDP Co
    34427DP120
    3AAB82B14C2

Wiring:
    8 wires
    C: Black wire
    R: Red wire
    O: Orange wire
    G: Purple wire
    Y: Yellow wire
    W1: White wire
    W2: Brown wire
    E: Blue wire

I believe the unit was installed in the early 1980s. Please help!

Do I have a single or multi stage heat pump?
    What do the wire colors mean?
    What type of programmable thermostat should I be looking for?

Sorry for the lengthy post, just wanted to include all information. Thank you for your help.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 9, 2007, 12:13 PM
    You have a two stage heat one stage cool unit. First stage heat is heat pump second stage is resistant heat.The wiring colors will be explained in your new thermostats install instructions. Honeywell makes a good thermostat. Please read the entire manual that comes with your thermostat. If that fails you then look to the sticky notes at the beginning of this board.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2007, 06:14 PM
    I disagree, it appears you have a three stage heat, the first stage is the heat pump which is the orange wire that reverses the reversing valve, the W-1 is aux. (electric heat strip), the W-2 is another aux. heat strip, that makes three stages of heat.
    The second heat strip may be connected to an outside thermostat to keep it from operating until the temperature drops to a preset temperature, this saves money.
    The "G" is to engage the indoor fan, the "Y" is to bring on the compressor, the "C" is the common from the transformer to operate a clock or lites in the thermostat, the red "R" is from the transformer (a different leg from the "C") this is switched by the thermostat to the G, Y,W-1,O, W-2, depending on what is desired by the operator.
    The "E" is emergency heat and when switched on it disables the heat pump and only enables the aux. heat.
    blueruler Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 10:22 PM
    Thank you both for your answers. Is there any further information I can provide that would give me a definitive answer? I have pictures of the thermostat, and of the wiring diagram from the inside of the cover of the heat pump unit if either would help.

Thanks again for your time.
    dlpsigns Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2013, 03:55 PM
    What does it mean if my yellow wire in wrapped on both the Y peg and the W1 peg?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 stage furnace / single stage thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a Goodman 90,000btu 2 stage, variable speed 5 ton blower furnace put in. I am also have a 3 ton 16 seer A/C put in. They want to set me up with a Honeywell 4000 programmable thermostat. I thought that I read that this thermostat was for single stage heating. Am I getting short changed?...

Multi Stage Programmable Thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have been trying to install a new thermostat. I bought the thermostat years ago, when I thought I needed a new one. Anyway, I now need it and have installed it. Unfortunately, it isn't working properly. It is a White-Rodgers Multi-Stage Digital 7 day programmable, 1F94/1F95 90 Series...

Changing 2 stage manual thermostat to 1 stage programmable [ 3 Answers ]

All wires match up except the RED wire (previously connected to "R") and the blue wire (previously connected to "C") on an manual white-rodgers thermostat (type 1f58w-58 2 stage heat/cool). On the programmable white-rodgers thermostat (type 1f78-151 single stage) I only have one open terminal and...

White rogers thermostat 2 stage heat 1 stage cool [ 6 Answers ]

Anyonw know how to hook this up with a dpdt relay There is 5 wires , outdoor heat for stage 1 heat , propane gas for stage 2 hear Thanks For any help :confused:

White rogers thermostat 2 stage heat 1 stage cool [ 1 Answers ]

What is the right wiring to hook the WHITE ROGERS 80 SERIES thermostat up ( 1F82-261)? I have a outdoor wood burner dlowing hear to a exchanger in the ducts , and I have propand gas as a back up sorce The furnace is a coleman evecon ( 94 model) with ac (up draft) I think I had the wiring...

View more questions Search