Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lemtrac7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2007, 12:15 PM
    1991 chevy 2500,5.7 liter, auto,2 wd
    Hey folks this is my first posting here and I will be grateful for any advice you have.
    My 1991 Chevy 2500 pickup is sick. It was running fine until, It started missing and will not take fuel when you press the accelerator. I have some background working on engines but when it comes to diagnostics I am lost.
    At the suggestion of some friends and others I have replaced the distributor,rotor,cap wires, plugs,ICV,throttle position sensor,fuel filter. What it is doing is lopping at idle and misses real bad when you accelerate. It is not flooding because there is no black smoke or raw gas smell. I have looked for wires that maybe broken or shorted and found nothing. It was running great until this problem started. It was a sudden problem. Do you think it could be the fuel pump or ? I am open for suggestions. Thanks
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2007, 01:34 PM
    . Test for codes.

. Test all under-dash and under-hood fuses with a test light or multimeter. Here's how:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

. Test/replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil. Here's what the ICM looks like and costs:

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com

Here's what the coil looks like and costs:

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com

AutoZone can test ICMs and coils for free. If the problem persists, it may be ECM-related.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 07:54 PM
    Lemtrac7:: Number 1 - I got a new set of spark plug wires for my 92 2500 and it done what you say yours is doing ,I raised the hood in a good (DARK ) place ,started the motor ,let my eyes adjust to the dark and I saw a christmas tree with (BLUE) lights. Of corse it meant that the new wires were bad . Took back to autozone got another set (NO charge) put them on and it purred like a kitten. Another thing to check is the pick up coil down inside under dist. cap also ck. Cap for cracks, look inside cap IF I have helped ,rate my answer .Thanks Have a good day good luck F.B.E.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 8, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Do NOT spray your truck with parts. That will only weaken your determination and your wallet.

Be systematic and cost effective. If it's running rough at idle, unplug first one TB injector then the other and if the problem becomes worse, it isn't fuel delivery. One injector may be sticking slightly and causing the roughness.

You've done the secondary ignition, now it's time for the primary side: Ignition control module and ignition coil.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2007, 09:31 PM
    Lemtract7::::: Iforgot to ask you one other thing , you said that you installed a new 9DISTributor) , when you reinstalled are you sure that you got it put back in right?? Even the best mech. On earth can put it back wrong .I always marked wher the old one is at ,you drop it in a and off by one gear and you will spend forever trying to find out why the moter is running rough and missing. Check this also. F.B.E. Here's wishing you luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a 96 chevy cavalier auto transmission. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 96 chevy cavalier auto transmission can I take a 97 chevy manual transmission and put it in my 96?

OK you 1995 Chevy silverado Extended cab 5.7 liter with 4L60e automatic tranny [ 6 Answers ]

OK here it This is what has been replaced Fuel pump and sending unit,idle air control valve(iav)map sensor,throttle position sensor plug wires ignition module Throttle Body was Cleaned and rebuilt Brand new computer New oxgyen sensor BEw temp gauge sensor and water temp sensor. This truck has...

Fuel pump for a 1991 chevy lumina [ 2 Answers ]

Why does my fuel pump continue to run after the ignition is shut off?

1991 G-20 chevy van 5.7 [ 2 Answers ]

I went out to start van nothing happens .changed battery checked all wiring still nothing.dome light,horn ,and head light work.any suggestions to help me out thanks ed

View more questions Search