Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2007, 07:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrebel7
    I just finished viewing all the questions and answers with art work. I am just blown away by all the talent. Each one is as unique as the individual who created each piece. I am just in awe. Seeing all of your work just inspires me! I love it!
    And, I know that we will all be inspired when we see yours!
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 07:50 PM
    More gourds. Hope you enjoy them! :)

One is pyrotech with wood burning tool, all are done with acrylic paints with Polycrylic Clear Gloss finish.

I call one a "Gourdtar"! LOL Not too creative with my names! My dad fashioned the wood pieces at the base for the strings and the wood pieces for tuning at the top. After deciding on the outside, the inside was going to look quite unfinished and dull so I painted a little landscape scene inside the gourd. My dad passed away unexpectedly. I feel fortunate that I have these pieces he handcrafted for the "Gourdtar". He was 86 when he made the wood pieces for the "Gourdtar"! He had a stroke in one eye years prior and had vision in only one eye, so anything he handcrafted, to me was amazing. He built wooden airplanes out of wooden tea boxes and I painted them for him. Thanks for letting me share about my dad on this forum.

Do any of you do any gourd art? I would love to see your creativity with them. I am not creative when it comes to the gourds but I do love doing them. They are just fun!!
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Oct 7, 2007, 08:14 PM
    How about displaying some of your pencil drawings also. Have you mentioned yet about being in shows?
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2007, 08:22 PM
    What is it that you do to the gourds to preserve them so that they won't rot, please? I have never been sure about that... :confused:
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 08:35 PM
    What a wonderful thought Clough! Thank you!
    I just posted a few of the gourds I spoke about earlier and hit submit about the time I received notice of your note. Inspiration is so abstract yet concrete in what it causes as an result. I needed inspired!! It is easy to get complacent and settled in a routine. I may get so inspired, I will have ideas flying wild in my head for the Thumb Pianos!!
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 09:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    How about displaying some of your pencil drawings also. Have you mentioned yet about being in shows?
    Clough, I don't recall if I have mentioned the shows or not yet. I have been stumbling around trying to just not get lost in this site. LOL. Thanks to you and Firmbeliever, I may remember now how to post images! I did post one drawing earlier called "Majestic". It is one of a cougar.

Actually, I had a show yesterday. I had a private showing several years ago then got away from it. Just got "inspired" about four years ago to do shows. I love doing the work but don't enjoy the shows too much! I was ill (no, not on purpose! :) LOL) and didn't get to go but family got it taken care of. Several pieces sold, including some prints matted and framed, some in protective sealers also, cards and bookmarks of my work. I will post "House of Wonders" in a bit on this note if I remember. It was a commission piece of a house in the town where I live. A couple came by my display and was looking at my work and the lady gasped and said, "I know that house. I work in that house. I'm the maid." So of course, that stirred conversation. I was told that the house was built in 1898 by a dentist and it remained in his family until the last member of his family passed away. The owner had given his housekeeper the house in his will. She sold it to the current owners who have refurbished it from a home in disarray to one of grandeur. I contacted the current owner after I finished the piece and offered to give her a print from the original drawing. She was very appreciative. Once you present your portfolio to "Utica Square" a panel of judges determine if they accept or reject your application to show. I felt and still feel honored that I was accepted. Once you make this show, you are pretty much accepted to do any surrounding shows without presenting your portfolio. If it had not been for my daughter, I would not have even presented it. She drove from another town, picked it up and took it to the judges. KIDS!! Wonderful, huh?? We all need someone to believe in us.
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 09:19 PM
    What is it that you do to the gourds to preserve them so that they won't rot, please? I have never been sure about that... :confused:
    Actually, nature does it for you for the most part. The soft outside covering begins to harden after you cut it from the vine. Just one more gift provided for us to use. If my grandfather had seen me painting on one, he would have had a good laugh. He used his to dip water and to dip seeds for planting! LOL

It takes a few months at least or that has been my experience for gourds to dry out. Once it is hardened, the seeds inside and the pulp have also dried. If left out in the weather, they turn darker with aging but are fairly sturdy little things! You can use them for bird houses outside or use them as décor. If I take the time to paint on them, I generally put the polycrylic clear coat on and keep them inside. My sister-in-law was so excited about them, she grew her own and painted them but she has them hanging in her trees (bird house gourds, not dipper gourds) in her back yard.

I am interested in growing some basket gourds but have not been able to locate viable seeds. The ones I have purchased were apparently not mature seeds so didn't produce. Do you have any knowledge of these?
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2007, 09:22 PM
    What's this I hear about putting little holes in them to help them to dry out? Is this advisable?
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 09:28 PM
    Hmm... I guess it might speed up the process. I have not tried it. The outside is soft when you hang them to dry. I believe there might be a danger of insects invading the gourd and ruining it but this I do not know for sure. Perhaps as it is in the later drying stages, it might not attract insects as easily. If a large hole was cut or the top cut off, it is possible it would curl as it dried and might make for interesting art pieces. I might just have to try that!
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2007, 09:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chek101
    A few more beaded state stamps here. There are 24,000 beads in each one. Those tiny black things next to it, bottom right, are the beads not yet threaded on the needle.
    I told my niece about your bead work. She is so anxious to see them. She has just begun working with beads and glues them on little wooden eggs. This will just blow her away. How many hours do these take? I know each piece differs but just ball park figure. I am fascinated!! I don't use thread at all even to sew on buttons so this just mystifies me! Beautiful work as well as all your other pieces. I want to see more when you have time to post. :)
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2007, 10:56 PM
    Hmm...I guess it might speed up the process. I have not tried it. The outside is soft when you hang them to dry. I believe there might be a danger of insects invading the gourd and ruining it but this I do not know for sure. Perhaps as it is in the later drying stages, it might not attract insects as easily. If a large hole was cut or the top cut off, it is possible it would curl as it dried and might make for interesting art pieces. I might just have to try that!
    I didn't know about hanging them to dry. Thanks for the information! I should know better because I do a lot of herb and vegetable gardening though. But, I have been putting small holes in them and just leaving them sitting in my basement. Probably the wrong move there! They have not lasted, I think, because I have put them in my basement!

Do you remove the insides of them somehow before hanging them to dry?
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2007, 11:09 PM
    I did post one drawing earlier called "Majestic". It is one of a cougar.
    I did finally notice, just today while at a friend's home showing her your work, that you had already posted a pencil drawing of the cougar, before I had inquired about you posting examples of your pencil drawings. Sorry!
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2007, 11:13 PM
    Believe me, I just appreciated so much your interest in my work. I thank you and no need to say "sorry"! There is a lot to view on this site. I have gone through several times looking at the art work and seems I see something new I had missed before each time!
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2007, 12:14 AM
    I would like to post some photos of some oil paintings that I did but I have no idea how to post a photo. Can someone please advise?

Thank you.

Didi
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2007, 01:13 AM
    Here are some tips to get the picture uploaded.

First edit the pictures to web page size.
    Then click Answer and on the same page a little lower you will find "Additional Options" and "manage attachements".
    Click the manage attachments.
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2007, 01:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by grammadidi
    I would like to post some photos of some oil paintings that I did but I have no idea how to post a photo. Can someone please advise?

Thank you.

Didi
    In what format are your photos? Do you have them on a CD, diskette, from a digital camera, or will you be scanning them in?
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2007, 01:20 AM
    I will look forward to seeing your work grammadidi!
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2007, 01:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by brookeleigh
    please go to my site and check out my questions. give me your advice! thanks
    What is your site, please? Can you provide a link for it? This place doesn't even remotely operate like a chat room.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2007, 01:30 AM
    In what format are your photos? Do you have them on a CD, diskette, from a digital camera, or will you be scanning them in?
    They are from a digital camera, are stored on my computer and I have made them smaller and watermarked them. They are in .jpg format. Thanks for your response. I'll check back tomorrow for further information.

Hugs, Didi
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2007, 01:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by brookeleigh
    just click my name Brooke Leigh and go down to my questions
    You're trying to use this place like a chat room. Please don't. It will confuse people if you piggyback your questions on other posts that have nothing to do with your question. If people want to answer the particular question that you have asked, then they will answer it in time. You just have to be patient. It might even take a number of days for someone to answer, though. If you want to chat though, there are any number of teen chatting places available on the Internet. Although, the quality of the answers that you get there will be questionable. This site is extremely well moderated as well as being a magnet for people who are knowledgeable to answer questions who really care about the people for whom they are answering questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need the name of the artist [ 1 Answers ]

Who sings the song and/or the name of the song with the lyrics "tell me if you want me to"

Name of artist [ 1 Answers ]

its goes something like: it was me and you i thought we could nananana. something like that. HELP!:confused:

Where can an artist go... [ 1 Answers ]

Where can an artist go to interact with other musicians online? My girlfriend is an amazing singer/songwriter who also plays acoustic guitar but doesn't really know where she can find band members, etc. I was hoping that someone on here may know. She's got an amazing voice and can really put some...

Name the artist [ 2 Answers ]

I have just downloaded,f**k it(dont want you back) by eamon. I want to know the full name of his ex misses and the songs title she produced in reply to the above.

Need artist name [ 4 Answers ]

The song's name is Angel Its kind of a remake of madonna's It's a dance/electronica version

View more questions Search