Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AndieHope Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2007, 03:24 PM
    Colloidal Silver/Kitten Died
    I read that colloidal silver is a general antibiotic for both kittens/cats as well as people. I picked up some the general health store - 10ppm.

Jeremy, one of my (4 week? 5 week?) kittens had a swollen eye to the point it was bulging out of his little face. This happened this week, otherwise he was a fine, great personality, kitten.

I put drops in his eyes of the colloidal silver and gave him some by mouth twice a day. I started the day before yesterday.

He ate in the morning yesterday, did not eat his dinner. He sat there shivering. I put him with his siblings and went to bed.

I woke up and there he was laying by the waterbowl. I knew he was dying. His brother Matthew had died two weeks ago. I held Jeremy while he died.

My question is did I give him too much? Ironically the swelling in his eye went way down and the bulging disappeared.

Joshua is sick. I plan to take Joshua in on Wednesday when I get paid. I stopped giving them all the colloidal silver.

Oh geez, I'm just blithering on, I'm just so sick with grief.

Did I screw up?

Heartbroken.

Pam
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 04:13 PM
    "His brother Matthew had died two weeks ago." This statement leads me to believe that the med is probably not the cause Jeremey's of death. Good Luck

Oct 7, 2007, 05:49 PM
    Thank you for your answer.

Another baby Joshua, is not eating, he won't even take his mother's milk. I try to put him at her nipple, she cleans him but he won't eat. I just tried to forcefeed him with a syringe, the kitten's supplemental milk with baby food mixed in it. I wrapped him in a towel and he fought me. He wouldn't take the "formula" I made, just fought hard for a little guy. I had to take him out of the towel and let him go. He's now in his little condo.
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 06:08 PM
    Andie. I don't have a clue what could be wrong with your kittens. Hopefully the mom has the immunity to fight it off. If I were you I would consider taking her to the vet as well. You can only do what you know how to do or afford to do. Having kittens is costly and heart breaking at times. I do not know how you came to own the mama, but please find a way to have her spayed so that you or her do not have to endure heart break like this again. There are many programs that help with the cost of spay/neuter esp. if you live in a big city I believe that there are some national ones as well. Most vets will honor the vouchers coupons that these groups give out. I really hope everything turns out OK for you, the mama and the remaining baby.
    olenatichenor Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AndieHope
    I read that colloidal silver is a general antibiotic for both kittens/cats as well as people. I picked up some the general health store - 10ppm.

Jeremy, one of my (4 week? 5 week?) kittens had a swollen eye to the point it was bulging out of his little face. This happened this week, otherwise he was a fine, great personality, kitten.

I put drops in his eyes of the colloidal silver and gave him some by mouth twice a day. I started the day before yesterday.

He ate in the morning yesterday, did not eat his dinner. He sat there shivering. I put him with his siblings and went to bed.

I woke up and there he was laying by the waterbowl. I knew he was dying. His brother Matthew had died two weeks ago. I held Jeremy while he died.

My question is did I give him too much? Ironically the swelling in his eye went way down and the bulging disappeared.

Joshua is sick. I plan to take Joshua in on Wednesday when I get paid. I stopped giving them all the colloidal silver.

Oh geez, I'm just blithering on, I'm just so sick with grief.

Did I screw up?

Heartbroken.

Pam
    Get a vet, you basically asked for it when playing a doctor. Very sorry for your kittens, but you can't keep doing it to them.
    It seems like you care a lot, but you don't know how to fight the infection.
    Please don't try to cure any kittens by yourself, take them to Humane society, if you can't pay for the vet.

Oct 18, 2007, 03:59 PM
    I took Joshua to the vet. He gave him liquids under the skin and said he was very very sick. He did say he had the upper respiratory infection *but* he said his lungs were clear. He wanted to give him a second chance so he sent me home with Clavamox and tetramycin for his little eye. He also said he was underweight. So, I did not decide to "play vet". It really didn't matter, Joshua died the next day.

My vet didn't really know why the babies kept dying.

I lost another one this morning, Toby. Found the little guy... he hadn't been dead long.

There are two left: David and Nicky. They are both eating fine but I'm just waiting...

This is just an update and a follow up. That's all.

Pam
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 03:20 PM
    Tanhks for the update, hopefully the remaining kittens will survive.
    ronny49 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2009, 03:38 PM

BELIEVE ME... the colloidal silver is NOT your problem! You even said yourself that the swelling was going down. Colloidal Silver works when you KNOW what you are doing.

When you DON'T KNOW what you are doing, you NEED to take your animals to the vet!!
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2009, 03:35 AM

I don't know anything about the colloidal silver other than that you can use it for cats. But don't know about doses and such.

However, I think trying to figure out whether you screwed up or not isn't going to get you any place. It sounds like there's some other issue going on if these kittens are dying. Sometimes there are problems with kittens - and there may be a problem with the mother. If you have to play mother yourself, you have to really know what you're doing and even then, they can die. So you can only do what you can do. I mean, you're not a cat after all and have no instincts of how you're supposed to be taking care of your kittens. So don't start dumping on yourself and just causing a guilt trip. You don't need that on top of everything else.

I do agree that mom needs to get fixed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Silver certificate [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if my silver certificate has any value it is a 1957B Y01356742A, I also have a 1957A P48033325A, 1935E X81638746G there all in excellent no tears or rips anything.

Colloidal Silver [ 9 Answers ]

How safe is Colloidal Silver? I read where it can make your finger nails blue. Also is it safe to use in your eyes. For example a sty? And will it get rid of sty's?

Will my older kitten ever be nice to my new kitten? [ 5 Answers ]

I have never had cats before. I adopted a male neutered kitten who is now 11 weeks old. Today, I adopted a 7 week old male neutered kitten, as a companion. I didn't realize the size difference would be so great until I got my new kitten home. 4lbs vs. 1.2lbs. My older cat seems to want to play, but...

Silver certificates [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 $1 silver certificates with the blue seal on them.The serial numbers are C26227303J(1935G)- B90926220J(1935G)- V75164184)1935F- They look like they were used a lot but then put away and flattened out. They have some stains and wrinkles but are straight and flat.

View more questions Search