Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donmiguel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 09:18 PM
    How to test gas hot water heater pressure release valve?
    The pressure release valve on the State Select Gas Hot water heater (40 or 50 gallon) is allowing water from the hot water tank to drip through the copper overflow pipe drain on the side of the house. There is no leak or drip around the valve or tank itself. The safety notice on the hot water tank says the pressure release valve is supposed to be tested once a year by owner. There are no instructions on how to test the valve. How does one test the pressure release valve?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 5, 2007, 04:54 AM
    The safety notice on the hot water tank says the pressure release valve is supposed to be tested once a year by owner. There are no instructions on how to test the valve. How does one test the pressure release valve?
    To test the valve lift the handle slightly and hot water should discharge out of the overflow pipe.
    The pressure release valve on the State Select Gas Hot water heater (40 or 50 gallon) is allowing water from the hot water tank to drip through the copper overflow pipe drain on the side of the house.
    Do you have a backflow preventer installed near the meter. Have you got s sprinkler system. Is there a expansion tank installed on the cold water heater supply? Back to you. Tom
    donmiguel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2007, 07:44 AM
    Can hot water heater pressure release valve be repaired when it leaks?
    The hot water heater (State Select 40 or 50 gallon) tank allows a drop of water out the overlow pipe on the side of the house. Can it be repaired or does it need to replaced by a plumber?
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 5, 2007, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donmiguel
    The hot water heater (State Select 40 or 50 gallon) tank allows a drop of water out the overlow pipe on the side of the house. Can it be repaired or does it need to replaced by a plumber?
    It would help if you would answer my question in my last post.
    Do you have a backflow preventer installed near the meter. Have you got s sprinkler system. Is there a expansion tank installed on the cold water heater supply?
    But to answer your question, if you have a faulty T & P valve that needs replacing just shut the power and water off to the heater and if the T&P valve's on the side drain the water down past it. If it's on topof the heater simply unscrew the copper discharge pipe and the threaded adapter from the valve so you can install it on the new valve. Teflon Tape all threads and reinstall. that's all there is to mit. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 5, 2007, 08:02 AM
    Don, you haven't answered all of Tom's questions and he pointed out to "To test the valve lift up on the handle slightly and hot water should discharge out of the overflow pipe.
    " I'd give that atry and your pressure release valve may reset. If the valve continues to be a problem it should be replaced. Be sure to close the main and bleed off a few gallons from the tank via the drain spigot at the bottom. When installing the new valve use three full wraps of teflon tape on the valve.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2007, 08:07 AM
    Speedball:

Sometimes replacing the t&P valve isn't as easy as you described. The discharge pipe can be soldered in place. Removal is as Speedball suggests. Since in the post, it drains to the outside of the house, there is some plumbing involved.

How easy? Post a picture.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 5, 2007, 08:12 AM
    I want to find out why it's leaking in the first place before we get into replacing it. I'm still waiting for a answer to my questions. Regards, Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 04:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Speedball:

Sometimes replacing the t&P valve isn't as easy as you described. The discharge pipe can be soldered in place. Removal is as Speedball suggests. Since in the post, it drains to the outside of the house, there is some plumbing involved.
    A leaking T&P can be symptomatic of far more serious problems, particularly if it's happening in a closed system -- And by "closed system" I mean a system with a check valve, heat trap nipples in the inlet and outlet of the H/W Tank or backflow preventer that isolates the system from the Utility.

Pressure build up from thermal expansion usually bounces back to the Source/Utility in systems without the above mentioned devices, but it has nowhere to go if one or all of the above devices are installed, with nowhere to go, thermal expansion will seek the path of least resistance, IOW, the T&P valve.

If the problem isn't dealt with by installing an expansion tank, or replacing a defective one, the T&P will weaken to the point where it just pops off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Surging water pressure & leaking water heater relief valve [ 19 Answers ]

Just recently the pressure of our water in the house surges when we turn a faucet on, and the city water company verified that our pressure in the house when we open a faucet is higher than the pressure in the lines in the street, and after the water runs is at a normal pressure (meaning their...

Gas water heater pressure release valve leaking water [ 14 Answers ]

Hello all, I have a slight issue with my gas water heater. It's a AO Smith 32.75 gallon type. All of a sudden, water is coming out of the relief valve pipe. I have placed a coffee can there, and I have to empty it out every few hours now. Im not sure where to turn for this one, as I have...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Gas Valve pressure test [ 5 Answers ]

I just ordered a new gas valve for my fireplace. I damaged my old one by blowing compressed air into it to remove spiders that had found their way in through the gas orifice to the burner. Question: how do I test the water column pressure on the new valve, or do I assume it already comes pre-set...

View more questions Search