Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2007, 04:03 PM
    iPod only plays sound from one side of earphones
    Sound only comes out of one earphone when being used with the iPod.
    I've tried several different earphones with the iPod and they all do the same thing.
    When the earphones are used with everything else, the sound comes out of both sides.
    What could be the problem with the iPod?
    Is there a solution?
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2007, 04:33 PM
    Yea its simple get anew 1
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2007, 05:07 PM
    I've only had it a month, but
    Thanks for the brilliant advice.

It will play from both earphones if the cord is not pressed in all the way.

I was hoping it was something simple that might happen to other devices
    That can be easily fixed.
    It almost seems like a connection problem.

Has anyone ever had this happen?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2007, 08:16 AM
    If replacement not in immediate future, attach rubber O-ring to stop full insertion. You may or may not have lost a channel. When not fully inserted, you may be getting left on both ears. Listen, and see if you can hear "Stereo"(difference in both ears).
    You either lost a channel or headphone jack defective. Stereo or not will determine.
    horseranch Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Oct 1, 2007, 05:24 AM
    Lol... this issue sounds familiar. I always seemed to have this problem with the walkmans and cd players. Guess the jack is one component of media devices that they haven't bothered to imrprove upon.
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2007, 08:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    If replacement not in immediate future, attach rubber O-ring to stop full insertion. You may or may not have lost a channel. When not fully inserted, you may be getting left on both ears. Listen, and see if you can hear "Stereo"(difference in both ears).
    You either lost a channel or headphone jack defective. Stereo or not will determine.
    Thanks for helping me figure out what's wrong with it.
    I'm guessing there's no simple way to fix the channel.
    Any ideas on how it happened so that I don't mess up any future devices?
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2007, 05:53 AM
    Don't know if it would help, but definitely would not hurt is plug in headphones before powering on, would be a little hassle and shouldn't need to, Plugging in or unplugging
    Without delay can't hurt also. Partially plugged in, MAY harm.
    Also, things just fail.
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2007, 04:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    Don't know if it would help, but definately would not hurt is plug in headphones before powering on, would be a little hassle and shouldn't need to, Plugging in or unplugging
    without delay can't hurt also. Partially plugged in, MAY harm.
    Also, things just fail.
    I really appreciate the tips. Thanks again.
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2007, 04:56 PM
    Thanks, anytime, Take Care
    Dr Poop Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Sep 8, 2008, 10:03 PM
    This is how I fixed my 5th generation iPod Video. I noticed when applying slight pressure to certain points on the iPod while it was playing, the ear that was out would come back in. I popped it open with a screwdriver to see if I could find the loose connection. There are some orange ribbons that run from the battery to the main circuit board and they are held in place by tiny clips that close like teeth to make contact. Even though they all looked fine, if I pressed on the clip that locks the ribbon to the main circuit board the ear that was out would once again begin to play. Culprit found. The clip that holds the ribbon in place was no longer providing enough pressure to make a solid connection with the contact points underneath. It was indeed locking the cable in place, just not providing enough downward force to make a solid connection. Most likely because my iPod spends most of its time in my back pocket being sat on and getting all tweaked out of shape. So to fix the problem I placed a small piece of rubber that I cut with a razor blade to fit on top of the ribbon cable just to the side of the ribbon clip. The piece I cut is just thick enough to apply SLIGHT pressure from the hard drive to the ribbon when the iPod is closed. Key word: SLIGHT pressure. I did this to avoid having to pay money and wait on shipping time to have mine fixed. By all means, this isn't the real way to solve this problem, but it works great on mine. That being said, I take no responsibility for you breaking your iPod any more than it already is. Really though, its not that hard or that big of a deal to take the thing apart and put it back together. Yeah... so. Uh huh. Worked for me!
    davidhutton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2009, 01:06 PM

I just tried the solution that Dr. Poop gave and it worked for me. Thanks.
    Ms. Young-G Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2010, 08:00 PM

Dr. Poop! You rock dude! This really worked! I used electrical tape to hold a small piece of rubber and wolla--it worked. You saved me time, money, frustration and most of all I didn't have to part with my music. This is how I fixed my 5th generation iPod Video. I noticed when applying slight pressure to certain points on the iPod while it was playing, the ear that was out would come back in. I popped it open with a screwdriver to see if I could find the loose connection. There are some orange ribbons that run from the battery to the main circuit board and they are held in place by tiny clips that close like teeth to make contact. Even though they all looked fine, if I pressed on the clip that locks the ribbon to the main circuit board the ear that was out would once again begin to play. Culprit found. The clip that holds the ribbon in place was no longer providing enough pressure to make a solid connection with the contact points underneath. It was indeed locking the cable in place, just not providing enough downward force to make a solid connection. Most likely because my iPod spends most of its time in my back pocket being sat on and getting all tweaked out of shape. So to fix the problem I placed a small piece of rubber that I cut with a razor blade to fit on top of the ribbon cable just to the side of the ribbon clip. The piece I cut is just thick enough to apply SLIGHT pressure from the hard drive to the ribbon when the iPod is closed. Key word: SLIGHT pressure. I did this to avoid having to pay money and wait on shipping time to have mine fixed. By all means, this isn't the real way to solve this problem, but it works great on mine. That being said, I take no responsibility for you breaking your iPod any more than it already is. Really though, its not that hard or that big of a deal to take the thing apart and put it back together. Yeah... so. Uh huh. Worked for me!
    LULLA41 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2010, 03:13 AM
    Dudes I have da same prblm with ma iPod Don't know how 2 fix it just let me know how 2 open da iPod as it has no screws how do I open it apart... plzz hlp guyss... thnxx:D
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2010, 06:03 AM

IFixit: IPod Nano 5th Generation Disassembly - Video
    DanielF Posts: 158, Reputation: 14

Jan 22, 2010, 11:18 PM

I have never seen inside an iPod, but my general experience with 'bad' headphone sockets is this:

Most of them simply have three or more pins soldered to a printed circuit board (PCB). With a headphone plug plugged in, any sideways force on the plug (the part outside of the unit) exerts considerable twisting force on the jack, due to the 'lever' effect of the long plug. This force often causes the soldered pins/PCB pads to break away from the PCB.

This is far more likely to happen with modern (surface-mount) sockets and devices than with older (through-hole) equipment.

By opening the unit up and closely inspecting the socket pins' soldering (particularly while gently 'wiggling' a plug plugged into it) you'll often see a crack, or movement of the offending pad, which can then be re-soldered.

It helps to use headphones with a right-angle plug, so there is less likeihood of excessive stress being applied to the projecting plug.

Daniel
    edtop40 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2011, 09:10 AM
    I recently had the same thing happen and I used an unfurled paperclip to clean out the iPod jack hole... maybe something, dust, dirt, paper, lint, anything, got down into the jack hole and is inhibiting proper metal to metal contact... it's worth a shot... worked for me...
    himanshujovi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2011, 09:23 PM
    A very termporary quick fix solution would be to take metal foil ( one used to wrap food will do )... Make a very thin sheet of it and insert it in headphone jack along with the earphone.. The stereo effect should come back.. At least it did for me!
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2011, 05:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by himanshujovi View Post
    A very termporary quick fix solution would be to take metal foil ( one used to wrap food will do ) ... Make a very thin sheet of it and insert it in headphone jack along with the earphone.. The stereo effect should come back.. Atleast it did for me !!
    Tin foil pushed in the Jack will Likely short out, Not fix the problem, If it fixed yours, great. Will likely harm others.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

XP DVD plays OK CD not recognized [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm running Windows XP Home SP2 on a Laptop. For about 3 years now I've been able to watch DVDs but any kind of audio/music CDs aren't recognized in my D:\ drive. After looking and searching around on my system I just knew that somehow I had Disabled something to do with the DVD CD-ROM ...

Kenmore Side by Side: no ice & red blinking light? [ 4 Answers ]

Help, My Kenmore side by side model # 106.565624 has stopped making ice and a red light next to its on/off switch is blinking. I have replaced the pur water filter and reset the water filtration and flushed the lines. I have also turned off then on the ice maker switch. No change - still...

Kenmore side by side Fridge icemaker model 106.9557651 [ 1 Answers ]

I have an issue with my ice maker over filling? I replaced solenoid still havinbg problem.

Kenmore Elite not cooling refrigerator side or side by side [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite Model 53609202 side-by-side. The freezer is working fine, the air flow into the freezer is working, the fan is on. There is another fan in the bottom rear that is also on. There is nothing in the refrigerator to block the vents. There is a little frost on the rear panel...

View more questions Search