Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kmb221004 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2007, 07:59 PM
    Makeup artist on the dead
    I was wondering if u have to go to school to do makeup on the dead and how would I get started doing it or going to school for it?
    456mjm Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2007, 09:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kmb221004
    I was wondering if u have to go to school to do makeup on the dead and how would i get started doing it or going to school for it?
    Did you find out anything about this because I'm have the same quistion please let me know thanks

Oct 1, 2007, 09:46 AM
    I have the same quistion so have you had any response ?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 1, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Call several local funeral homes to find out who does makeup and what their credentials are.

Deceaseds' hair at several of our funeral homes is done by local hairdressers who started as shampoo girls and learned how to do hair by working with other hairdressers and with customers, plus they had a knack for and interest in doing hair in the first place. The same is true for makeup.
    qsandas Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Oct 1, 2007, 09:55 AM
    I'm not sure but I think it takes the same qualifications as doing make-up for the living.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 1, 2007, 10:08 AM
    I am guessing that, if you are good at doing makeup (or hair), that would be at least some of the credentials you need to do it for the deceased. I would imagine a funeral home director would look at YOUR makeup first and would offer suggestions for doing makeup for the deceased -- not garish, not clown-like, just natural. There might be bruises to cover or even incision lines had there been an autopsy.

The funeral home director might take you into the back room just to see if you can handle the smells and sights, would show you a body that just came in and would ask you how you would make the person more presentable. Embalming changes the appearance and texture and quality of the skin, so those things would have to be taken into account. Of course, deceased men would need to be "made up" too, don't forget.

Community colleges and mortuary colleges may have courses on doing makeup. Also, call/visit your local public library for information about such courses.

And, like I said earlier, call a couple of funeral homes.

Oct 2, 2007, 01:31 PM
    OK thank you
    jill31 Posts: 14, Reputation: -3

Oct 2, 2007, 05:35 PM
    Hey, why do you need to go to school for that for? If you mess up on the make-up who cares? They're dead, they can't tell you anything or get mad at you.

Just kidding.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 2, 2007, 06:09 PM
    Our local funeral homes, use local hair dressers. Normally the actual undertaker does the body color, since the person is dead, they do the skin color making them look "normal"
    lauramac306 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2007, 08:29 AM
    I have been looking into this also, and what I have found is that usually the funeral directors/embalmers do the makeup. In some states you actually have to be a licensed funeral director/embalmer to do anything on the body. Having said this, I do know that some funeral homes will have outsiders come in to do the makeup, hair, and nails. You just have to be good, not necessarily licensed. In the state of Ohio, to be a funeral director/embalmer you have to have a bachelor's degree in mortuary science and go through mortuary school, which, I believe, is 2 years. Other states only require the mortuary school. All embalmers are funeral directors, all funeral directors are not necessarily embalmers. Do some research on the schools and your state mortuary science board to see what they require. If you decide that you just want to do makeup, call the funeral homes and see if they hire outside freelancers. I am sending resumes out. I know that in my city there is someone who has made a very good living doing freelance makeup for a number of funeral homes. She picks and chooses what she wants to do. Good luck and keep digging! (sorry about the lenghty answer!! )

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Break Up and Makeup [ 2 Answers ]

New problem now... I have been with my boyfriend for 8 months, in April he broke up with me for 2 weeks, because he said he was not ready for a relationship, he said he made a big mistake and we got back together. Now he has done it again because he said he was tired of having a constant annoyance...

WHY do women wear makeup? [ 17 Answers ]

Why do we wear makeup? Why can't you leave in the morning without makeup? I personally can't go out without makeup although I don't absolutely need it. Just share your reasons. It would be interesting... Thanks

Makeup Brands [ 3 Answers ]

What's the best bramd of makeup that you would suggest that is the most flawless on acne prone skin.

Where do you buy your makeup? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am new to this site and I am trying to get stores to sell my fiance's aunt's new makeup line called about face by Pamela John. It is a mineral-based makeup line. The question I have for you all is where do you normally buy your makeup products? (department store, salon, independent...

Mineral Makeup? [ 2 Answers ]

I just recently heard about this. What do you know about it and what brands are best? Thanks

View more questions Search