Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sr3499 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2007, 02:49 PM
    Grants for convicted felons
    I want to know if there are any grants for convicted felons ?:)
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Sep 10, 2007, 05:21 PM
    Why in the world would the government give a convicted felon a grant??
    donald8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2007, 09:06 PM
    Can felons get grants
    katiecca Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2007, 09:57 PM
    I know that the grants are out there for convicted felons my p.o has been talking to me about them so I know they exist but I am trying to find the same thing...
    JBougie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2007, 08:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sr3499
    I want to know if there are any grants for convicted felons ?:)
    I would honestly call your local college and ask to speak with an advisor. I am currently doing that same thing for my husband :) Also -- do a Google search for "Felon Benefits" or "Felon Grants" I have a found a few things by doing that.

And Slowandeasy -- why wouldn't they? It is very sad that you would have that opinion - not all felons are as bad as you think, and there are more people out there that are felons than you think also -- you would be shocked to find out how many people that you know and deal with on a regular basis are felons. You don't have to be a rapist or a murderer to obtain a felony conviction.
    TzAngels Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2007, 11:10 PM
    Comment on slowandeasy's post
    MEAN and definitely not helpful

Nov 26, 2007, 05:59 AM
    Hello Jbougie

I understand what you are saying,I am just saying that grants are not easy to get, that's all I know that grants are out there but it can be a trying process, Yes I know not all convicted felons are murders and such, I quess what I was trying to say was in this day and time it may not be easy. Sorry if I offended anyone
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 26, 2007, 06:21 AM
    There are really no special grants for felons ( except for some programs on job training though various charities) they can apply to all of the regular grants and loans that everyone else can. The person needs to go to the school they planon attending and check with finicial aids
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2007, 07:22 AM
    Hello:

Exconvicts aren't real popular these days. The government is trying to do 'em bad - not good. That doesn't mean they're not WORTHY of help. They are, but that's not what's happening these days.

However, the tide is changing.

excon
    Preid5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 4

Nov 28, 2007, 05:18 PM
    Why is it when people make a mistake and become a felon they are never forgiven. Do your time finish probation and then what? You can't vote, you can't live anywhere except with other felons, you must settle for a job. So we don't ever stop paying our debt to society. You all say rehabilitate yet you want to condemn. Think about it take a tiger out of the jungle cage him up and throw him back in the jungle & what happens... he goes back to being a tiger! You disgust me. Sometimes smart people make dumb mistakes and get caught. Like you are so perfect that you have not made a mistake or perhaps you just never got caught.
    WALK A MILE IN Someone's SHOES BEFORE YOU JUDGE THEM for when you have you will not be so quick to be heartless!

Nov 28, 2007, 06:31 PM
    Whom are you referring to?
    brianbrody818 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by slowandeasy
    why in the world would the goverment give a convicted felon a grant????????????
    Why not?
    cortez jackson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2007, 12:39 AM
    Is there grants to help pay for truck driving school
    Financialaidguy Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2008, 09:30 PM
    Not sure if this question is aimed at grants for college but nonetheless, I will answer it so.

At our college we used to process financial aid for individuals still incarcerated in the state correctional facility. The individuals could apply for financial aid, and receive grants to pay for their tuition. They would never of course see any of the extra money but their college was being paid for.

Individuals leaving the prison system are no different. They deserve to go to college just like anyone else.
    biggyjcp Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 01:59 PM
    Comment on slowandeasy's post
    I think that some people do change,everyone makes mistakes and some people would like to move on and do better for themselves.
    help4son Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 12:00 PM
    I am trying to assist my son who is in a Marine brig on a felony charge. He is due to be released in a few months and has taken it upon himself to begin furthering his education while incarcerated by taking correspondence courses. He would like to continue this towards a degree, but he knows that he will need financial assistance when he is released and is seeking information on grants that are available to felons. Can anyone give any information relative to the NC, SC or FL areas and/or grants or services/organizations to contact who may be able to help?
    Financialaidguy Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Jan 21, 2008, 12:06 PM
    The best advice is always to go speak with the local financial aid office. Worst case scenario, they are going to tell you there is nothing available and your son has to pay for school out of pocket. The most probable scenario will be that they can help you find local scholarships and grants to pay for your sons college.

It's in the schools best interest to help your son, or it should be anyway. Be upfront and honest with them about the situation and what your sons goals are. They are there to help.
    tammiewalters21 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello:

Exconvicts aren't real popular these days. The government is trying to do 'em bad - not good. That doesn't mean they're not WORTHY of help. They are, but that's not what's happening these days.

However, the tide is changing.

excon
    Does anyone know of anyone who is a convicted felon that has gotten a grant?
    jjewell08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 08:33 PM
    Why in the world would your mama create such of a a**hole like you??
    davelubis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Yeah some people are felons because they makes mistakes in their lives. And like myself there are plenty of felons that lost a whole lot due to their mistakes. In my case I was with people who committed a felony and was then charged with complicity.. thuse making my life a little more complicated once getting out of prison. I think if people want to change and make something of themselves and continue schooling then the government should offer some kind of financial aide to these people.. we are simply trying to better ourselves and reenter society as hard working responsible citezens.. so take a long "slowandeasy" look at the world and answer your question honestly... there are some felons that wish everyday they could take back things that they have done in the past. And remember there really isn't a lot of opportunity for felons because of people like you.. thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Scholarships for convicted felons [ 21 Answers ]

I'm interested to know if convicted felons can apply for some financial aid of any sort.. are there specifically any scholarships for felons to apply? Thanks

Where can I find scholarships available for convicted felons? [ 17 Answers ]

I have been recently released from prison in the state of Georgia and I am interested in returning to college. Where can I find scholarships or grants for female convicted felons?

International travel for convicted felons [ 41 Answers ]

My friend is a convicted felon. I know he can't travel to canada until five years past the date of his crime or the end of his sentence (whichever is later)... But what about other countries? In particular europe? France, uk, etc. Will be denied entry? At the border? He already has a...

Availability of passport for convicted felons [ 29 Answers ]

My fiancée and I are planning out our honeymoon, but recent media articles have put a damper on these plans. We've read that in January 2007, all American citizens traveling throughout the Caribbean, and Mexico must be in possession of a U.S. passport. This even applies to simple border crossings....

Convicted Felons and travel [ 1 Answers ]

Can a convicted felon travel to the Caribbean? If so, is a passport required or will a certified birth certificate do?

View more questions Search