Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    James W. Acker Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Dec 14, 2005, 08:14 PM
    What is a water column
    My question is actually two questions in one. I believe that in my studies in school I learned that a water column is a stand of water in a pipe to a certain height. If the pipe ended at the bottom of a tank then the water column would extend up through the water in the tank to the water level but the column would still only be the diameter of the pipe below the tank. In other words if a two inch diameter pipe took the water up to the tank the water column would be two inches of water reaching all the way to the top of the water level in the tank.

The second part of the question is would it take more power to push the water up to fill the tank be greater or less than if you used the same size pipe and ran the pipe along the outside of the tank to the top of the tank, and then over into the tank. The height of the tank would be taller that the water level in the tank itself.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2005, 06:45 AM
    The amount of power or, pressure that is, would be proportional to the net height the water is pushed up. Thus to fill a tank with the pipe going up the outside and ending there, all the water would have to be raise that far. With a pipe ending at the bottom, the amount of work would increase as the height of the water did. The efficiency of the pump at different pressures would also affect the power consumed.
    James W. Acker Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Dec 15, 2005, 07:40 PM
    Ask another way
    Would all the water in the tank affect the pressure coming out of an opening at ground level or would all the water in the tank only have an affect on the volume of water you would get at the opening at ground level. What I am tryint to determine is if all of the water in the storage tank adds pressure on the column of water or only the water that is above the diameter of the pipe in the bottom of the tank. If you know a site that I couel see this information I would appreciate it very much... and thanks for you reply to my first question.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2005, 08:34 PM
    I am not sure if this is what you are asking, but the pressure at the bottom of the column depends only on the height of the column, not the volume of water. No matter how big around the tank is, the pressure at the bottom depends only on the height.

Can't give a web site, but check any physics book.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Dec 16, 2005, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by James W. Acker
    Would all the water in the tank affect the pressure coming out of an opening at ground level or would all the water in the tank only have an affect on the volume of water you would get at the opening at ground level. What I am tryint to determine is if all of the water in the storage tank adds pressure on the column of water or only the water that is above the diameter of the pipe in the bottom of the tank. If you know a site that I couel see this information I would appreciate it very much.......and thanks for you reply to my first question.
    water column ussually referring to water in column(vertical pipe); it is express in inches or feet... 1 ft WC =0.433 pound per square inch (PSI)... yes the level (hight not area)of the water will effect the pressure of the tank... as the water level is lowering... the pressure also lowering
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Dec 17, 2005, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    The amount of power or, pressure that is, would be proportional to the net height the water is pushed up. Thus to fill a tank with the pipe going up the outside and ending there, all the water would have to be raise that far. With a pipe ending at the bottom, the amount of work would increase as the height of the water did. The efficiency of the pump at different pressures would also affect the power consumed.
    ... if the pipe is at the highest level the amount of work on the pump is the same . At the lowest level the pump do more or less work; depend on the water level in the tank( in this condition the pump/seal/connections will fail sooner) also if the discharge pipe is below the highest water level and the discharge side of the pump (water column) won't hold (leak and/or/no check valve) then there will be more problem... ussually(open water tank) they put discharge above the highest water level (except toilet tank)
    texhunter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2010, 12:32 AM
    The width of the water column is irrelevant. Only the height matters. Every 27.8 inches of water ( if I remember the number right) column height is one pound. If you want to work a practical problem, think about the depth of the blow out in the Gulf of Mexico. The well head is 5,000 feet below the surface of the ocean/Gulf. That means the water at that level exerts 2,158 pounds plus 14.7 pounds for atmospheric pressure at sea level for a total of 2,173 psi. That is over a ton. So now you know why it is so difficult to control the well head at that depth. The back pressure on a pump is whatever the height of the water is, not the width or volume. For every two feet of water height (depth) it takes an equivalent of one pound of pressure exerted by the pump just to be even. So the pump has to produce more than that pound in order to push the water up out of the pipe. Do the math and you can work out how much pressure you would need to pump whatever amount of water you would need to move.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 7, 2010, 07:34 AM

texhunter - please note that this question was posed over 5 years ago! Not much point in adding to the answer now.
    texhunter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2010, 02:28 AM

It is still a good question. And the people who are talking about it are not clear in their answers. Ifa question is too old for our attention, you should remove it from the listings. I am not a professor but I have skills and knowledge to help in simple technical matters.
    johnsonbrians Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2010, 08:08 AM
    I teach hydraulics and pneumatics. I wasn't looking for an answer to this question, but something else entirely. However, I like the example texhunter uses for a practical and contemporary example. I intend to use it this week to make my beginning students think. I also agree that it matters not when the question was first posed. What is the use of a forum like this if every question must be reposed every time someone has it. Unfortunately, the student could have used a little research so that the question would have been asked more clearly. For that reason, I think it would not be unreasonable to edit questions and answers so that future students more quickly find the answers they are looking for. Thank you texhunter.
    mahadikrohan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2011, 12:54 AM
    What is the meaning of friction loss?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to find unique values in an entire column [ 10 Answers ]

hi all please tell me how can I findout the unique values in an entire coloumn. for example I have 3 coloumn in an sheet. Name Prod. Value a 24 100 b 26 240 a 33 120 a 21 200

My message "flag" column in my in-box disappeared [ 3 Answers ]

In myOutlook Express In-box there are are normally 3 columns to the left of "sender". The column which shows flags is normally used to mark a message that one wants to attend to later. I have many messages which I have flagged in the past, but the column which displays them no longer appears...

Error Message - Column Not Allowed Here [ 3 Answers ]

I tried to create a table and got the following message: COLUMN NOT ALLOWED HERE. What is the solution for this? Regards MATHEW

View more questions Search