Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vagabond Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2007, 06:06 PM
    Old honeywell thermostat
    OK I have an old honeywell round mercury thermostat that is connected. Ive read all the wiring help tips on several sites. I have taken the old one off carefully and looked for terminal markings and there are none. Not so good is the fact that I have 4 wires. Red and yellow jumped together and green and black jumped together. No white wire. No markings on the old terminals for letters at all.

The furnace is an oneida royal loa, the new honeywell thermostat is heat only and has a spot for the w r y wires but that doesn't help me, I have and it is a model ct87k. The wiring instructions are great. But guess what no white wire so I'm clueless. Why do I not have a white wire.:confused: :confused: :mad:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2007, 07:12 PM
    If the furnace has R and W terminals, note the color of wires connected to them, and connect the same wires to the thermostat R and W terminals. Sounds like somebody used telephone cable to wire up the thermostat. I am sure there is an extra warm spot somewhere waiting for people that don't follow color codes.

Sep 21, 2007, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond
    ok I have an old honeywell round mercury thermostat that is connected. Ive read all the wiring help tips on several sites. I have taken the old one off carefully and looked for terminal markings and there are none. not so good is the fact that I have 4 wires. red and yellow jumped together and green and black jumped together. no white wire. no markings on the old terminals for letters at all.

the furnace is an oneida royal loa, the new honeywell thermostat is heat only and has a spot for the w r y wires but that doesnt help me, I have and it is a model ct87k. the wiring instructions are great. but guess what no white wire so im clueless. why do I not have a white wire.:confused: :confused: :mad:
    Where on the furnace do I look ? Near the oil burner motor? Is it on the bottom of the furnace if you can post a linke or picture of what I need to find that would be major helpful... I'm just another chick trying to keep the heat running so any help is apprecated.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2007, 04:51 PM
    You should be able to follow the thermostat cable into the furnace. Often it connects to a circuit board inside where you change the filters. There are some good pictures in the sticky at the top of this forum.

Sep 24, 2007, 04:03 PM
    I found the wires from the thermostat connected to two thick red wires. AGain one red wire has the red and green wires attached and the other red wire has the black and yellow attached. Do I need to follow these two redwires anywhere ?

Sep 24, 2007, 04:04 PM
    This is in the basement right where the wires I have are spliced under the floor

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changed over from White Rodgers Thermostat to Honeywell thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

I have a White Rodgers 2 stage heat/1 cool model 1F58-58 heat pump thermostat that I have changed over to a Honeywell programmable thermostat model RTH7400. Did all the correct wiring as stated in the books but when set to cool, the heater kicks on instead of the central air conditioning. What...

Changing over from White Rodgers Thermostat to Honeywell thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

I have a White Rodgers 2 stage heat/1 cool model 1F58-58 heat pump thermostat that I want to change over to a Honeywell programmable thermostat model RTH7400. I need help in trying to figure out the wiring part of this whole thing. Can someone out there please help. I would certainly appreciate...

Replacing Janitrol Thermostat with Honeywell Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I am attempting to replace my manual Janitrol Model HPT 18-60 thermostat with a Honeywell Programmable Model CT3500 thermostat. My Heat Pump is a Trane TWR012-042C The 6 wires connected to the Janitrol thermostate are: Y, W2, G, R, O, C How do I connect these six wires to the Honeywell that...

Honeywell Chronotherm IV Plus Honeywell Thermostat, T8624D [ 1 Answers ]

Honeywell Deluxe Programmable Multistage Thermostat, #T8624D Chronotherm IV Plus I have 2 of above thermostats and have had for about 5 years. It takes no batteries and is directly connected to a 24 volt source. Have one upstairs and one downstairs. Have noticed at times that the LCD on...

View more questions Search