Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LocoE Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2007, 05:46 AM
    Dedicated circuit for refrigerator
    Hi. My refrigerator is on a circuit that is protected by a GFCI. It is on the same circuit that protects the electrical around the kitchen sink. I would like to place it on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. The wall space behind the frig backs up to the plumbing for the bathroom shower and the current wiring runs from above the plumbing through the attic.
    I'd like to know if I can/cannot run a line down the wall to the basement and to the breaker box. If it were run down the wall to the basement, it would be near the water lines for the tub/shower. If I can, what is the safest method. Thanks.

James
    fw2007 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2007, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoE
    Hi. My refrigerator is on a circuit that is protected by a GFCI. It is on the same circuit that protects the electrical around the kitchen sink. I would like to place it on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. The wall space behind the frig backs up to the plumbing for the bathroom shower and the current wiring runs from above the plumbing thru the attic.
    I'd like to know if I can/cannot run a line down the wall to the basement and to the breaker box. If it were run down the wall to the basement, it would be near the water lines for the tub/shower. If I can, what is the safest method. Thanks.

James
    Hi LocoE;
    First off, when I installed the direct receptacle for my freezer, the instruction was NOT to use a GFCI breaker, because they tend to trip out and that would be a real problem with a refrig/freezer.
    You should check the power requirements for your fridge. 20A seems like it would be too big.

As for running electric alongside plumbing, I do not know what the code is, but I would think that you would want to keep the wiring away from the hot water pipes, and make absolutely certain that the ground wire is properly connected.

You might go to your local library and look at the National Electric Code. Most libraries have it in the reference section.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2007, 06:57 AM
    A 20 amp circuit for a reefer is fine, and does not need, nor should have, GFI protection.

Running cables near plumbing lines is fine also.

Sep 24, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    A 20 amp circuit for a reefer is fine, and does not need, nor should have, GFI protection.

Running cables near plumbing lines is fine also.
    I want to install a 20 amp non GFI to get around the one it is now plugged into. My main concern was running cable near water lines. Thanks for the replies.

LocoE
    fw2007 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2007, 11:39 AM
    I used to use 20A for all my heavy appliances, but the freezer we just purchased specifically called out 15A breaker. Regardless, I always use 12 AWG cable for 15-20A.
    I have seen electricians still using 14AWG. Supposedly it's illegal to use smaller than 12 for anything except dedicated lighting (going from switch to fixture), but these guys will apparently do anything to save a few $$.

Sep 24, 2007, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fw2007
    I used to use 20A for all my heavy appliances, but the freezer we just purchased specifically called out 15A breaker. Regardless, I always use 12 AWG cable for 15-20A.
    I have seen electricians still using 14AWG. Supposedly it's illegal to use smaller than 12 for anything except dedicated lighting (going from switch to fixture), but these guys will apparently do anything to save a few $$.
    Some of these guys are probably still putting pennies in fuse boxes. Like you, I always use 12 for everything unless the written material says different. Before I do run the cable for the frig, I will check the paperwork. Thanks again.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 24, 2007, 12:40 PM
    Ya, know there is a saying that goes like this, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you!"

While I am not an electrician, I have benefited immensley by their willingness to discuss their trade with me. Not to mention showing me how to do things properly.

I believe that the 14/2 wire is rated for 15 amps and while it is predominately used in lighting, there are other circuits as in timers, bells, pumps where 15 amp service is applicable.

To call these guys and ladies as cheap and cutting corners does them all a disservice. Oh and by the way several electricians have responded to your posts already.

Sep 24, 2007, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf
    Ya, know there is a saying that goes like this, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you!"

While I am not an electrician, I have benefited immensley by their willingness to discuss their trade with me. Not to mention showing me how to do things properly.

I believe that the 14/2 wire is rated for 15 amps and while it is predominately used in lighting, there are other circuits as in timers, bells, pumps where 15 amp service is applicable.

To call these guys and ladies as cheap and cutting corners does them all a disservice. Oh and by the way several electricians have responded to your posts already.

If you re-read my post, you will notice that I said "some of these guys". If you have ever had a contractor do work in your home and then the inspector fails his work because he cut corners than you know what I mean. 8 months to get a sunroom kit installed? Give me a break. I do agree that the great, great majority of contractors and those associated trades in the building field are honest and reputable. If I offended anyone, then I do hope you will accept my heart felt apology. Me, bite the hand that feeds me, I don't think so, because many times it has been my hand that was stuck out there.

By the way, I am very grateful to all the fine people that responded to my question and I'd be willing to bet that not one person that takes their time to respond on this forum or other forums like this is not a penny pincher or clock watcher. Thanks again to all.

LocoE
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 25, 2007, 09:05 AM
    Hey LocoE allow me to add along with my foot, elbow, leg etc.

I was not sniping at you, I was hoping to head off a barrage of trash talk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dedicated Hosting [ 6 Answers ]

I know most "review" and "ranking" sites are a bit misleading in that they have affiliate links to the sites they list - and why sites are in their "top 10" is undisclosed. ... so looking for personal recommendations based on either your own personal experience or that of friends or other people...

Baseboard heater and attach it to the available 15amp non dedicated wall outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to heat an area (180cf with no moving air) using a 1500W using a baseboard heater and attach it to the available 15amp non dedicated electrical wall outlet. I would also like to control the temp. Inside this space with a standard home T-stat. mounted inside the area being heated. I...

Dedicated Bathroom Junction Box [ 2 Answers ]

The homerun for a dedicated bathroom circuit currently supplies a pull-chain light in a closet (closet is not in the bathroom). I would like to remove the pull-chain and have a junction box there. Is this okay or since there is a junction box in a non-bathroom location does that violate the...

Refrigerator circuit [ 2 Answers ]

I put a porch light and a range hood in. I connected them both into the line for the plug to the refrigerator. I was told this would be OK, but now I am not sure. Is it OK to have these 3 things on the one 15 amp circuit. Thanks, ...

Dedicated servers [ 3 Answers ]

Is taking a dedicated server service with a hosting service provider will make it possible to host multiple web sites with unlimited number of domains?

View more questions Search