Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kevinhak Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2007, 11:01 AM
    John Deere L110 Lawn Tractor not charging
    I have a 3 year old John Deere L110 that is not charging the battery. Over the summer, the engine has cranked slower and slower, until it finally would not start. I could jump it with a bump box no problem. Plenty of cranking speed. I also put a trickle charger on the battery for a couple days, removed the charger, and it cranked like normal a week later. I do not notice an appreciable different in voltage running vs not running. I switched my volt meter to AC volts, and it registers 12 volts not running, 14-15 volts running. Any ideas? Is there a diode or voltage regulator that maybe went bad? The dealer says it is the battery (which is OEM), but it obviously is not. It holds a charge just fine, and still has plenty of cranking power.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 13, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Wait, are you saying you are measureing DC volts with your meter switched to AC volts? Why is that? The 14 vdc is correct for an engine running, that should charge the battery. If you are measuring 14 vdc coming into the battery while running and it still discharges I'm going to have to vote with your dealer. 3 years is a bit early for a battery to fail but not beyond possibility.

Sep 13, 2007, 11:27 AM
    I am only getting 12 volts DC whether running or not. I figured maybe a bad voltage regulator or diode would cause the charging system to output AC rather than DC. It is not the battery. I guarantee that. A bad battery would not crank like new after a week off the charger. The battery has been getting slowly drained all summer. It could also be a parasitic drain. It only takes me 15 minutes to mow the lawn. I let it run about an hour after jumping it one day. I then shut it off, and it cranked slow, but enough to start it. It was completely dead when I jumped it with a bump box. I asked the dealer about a parasitic drain, and he did not think that was the case. I connected an ammeter between the positive terminal and cable, and did not register a drain when it was shut off. My voltmeter/ammeter only goes up to 250ma, so I did not want to try it running.

Sep 13, 2007, 11:39 AM
    "I switched my volt meter to AC volts, and it registers 12 volts not running, 14-15 volts running." This sentence is what confused me. Yep, you could have a bad diode. Most auto parts and lawn mower repair places will test it for free but you need to unmount it and take it in.
    RSmith4744 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2007, 02:46 PM
    I have a 2003 L110 that has developed the same problem. I replaced the battery, in fact I have put two new batteries in it and the problem continues. When I park it, I can take the positive battery cable off and leave it off while the machine is not in use, then put the cable back on and it cranks fine, so it is not the battery. I do not have a solution, but I do think you have a problem other than the battery because my L110 does the same thing.

Sep 16, 2007, 02:57 PM
    About the same time my problem started, I noticed that my hour meter is not working properly. I wonder if this could be related to the charging problem?

Sep 16, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RSmith4744
    About the same time my problem started, I noticed that my hour meter is not working properly. I wonder if this could be related to the charging problem?
    I wonder if the ignition switch and/or hour meter could be causing the battery to drain? Another post mentioned a screwy ignition switch. I still think there may be some kind of parasitic power drain, yet, I also think it is not charging properly. With the engine running 15-20 minutes, that should be long enough to charge the battery up from just starting it that day. It is only cranking a few seconds. I have started the mower a few times since I last charged it, and it seems fine. Time will tell.

Sep 17, 2007, 08:37 AM
    The hour meter could be the problem if it is a short inside the clock. Try bypassing/dosconnect it and see if you hold your charge.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 11:11 AM
    Wow, you I too would vote on the battery at first, but I too got confused you saying you had 14 - 15volts running, then saying only 12 volts running or not, or maybe someone else that came in on it. Try disconnecting the hourmeter as ballengerb1 suggested. But I still would suspect the battery.

Sep 17, 2007, 11:19 AM
    If it were the battery, how would you account for the fact that you can take off the positive cable when you park the mower and then replace it the next time you use it and the battery does fine? Just seems as if something would have to be pulling the battery down.

Sep 17, 2007, 11:47 AM
    In my case, it is absolutely, positively, not the battery. Something is either pulling it down, or it is not charging.

Sep 18, 2007, 10:01 AM
    RS have you tried disconnecting that hour meter? When you reconnect the battery do you get a slight spark when the terminal touches the post, if so there is a short.

Sep 18, 2007, 03:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    RS have you tried disconnecting that hour meter? When you reconnect the battery do you get a slight spark when the terminal touches the post, if so there is a short.
    I even tried removing the positive cable, and holding it close to the terminal to see if I get a spark. Nothing... I am convinced it is not charging either due to a faulty generator/alternator, or bad voltage regulator.

Sep 18, 2007, 06:26 PM
    No spark when reconnecting and I disconnected the hour meter this afternoon. I will post in a day or two whether this made a difference or not.
    mmoler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 02:13 PM
    I have a John Deere L110 as well. My battery died about a month ago, so I replaced it. Yesterday the new battery died. I got clicking sounds for the first turn of the key, then nothing. When jump starting the battery the JD started fine. I suspect that it has to do with the charging system. My JD dealer service department thinks it's the "Half Wave Rectifier". I looked on a parts list but didn't se any recitifiers. Any ideas?
    bandrsntch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 08:39 PM
    I've been having very similar problems with my L110. Had replaced the battery about two years ago with one from walmart. Engine now will turn over about once and that's it, even after trickle charging all night. Took battery out and had it tested at Schucks. Voltage was OK, but cca was only about 100. Their other Exide batteries were rated at 165 cca. He recommended a regular car battery, but of course that won't fit into the L110. They couldn't find the L110 in their book, so couldn't tell me what the proper cca should be. I took battery down to the old John Deere store and they sold me a new exide rated 300 cca (Cold Cranking Amps) for $64. Haven't tested it out yet, but if you have replaced your original battery with one from Walmart, it may not have enough cca to handle the load. It may be that the common lawn tractor batteries you can get most places, just don't have enough muscle for the L110. Anyone have a spec sheet for what the L110 battery cca should be?
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 10:19 PM
    From the factory the cca is 195
    nissimd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2008, 08:15 AM
    I had the same problem, got worse every year. I thoroughly cleaned the battery terminals and the cables to expose lots of clean copper and it has been starting like new. Also make sure the batter fluid levels are good.
    robfisher Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 05:15 AM

Guys,Its very easy to fit a car battery to L110, I've used a Champion 40D.You take out the one screw holding battery carrier and slide in carrier and battery together.The new battery will be a bit taller but no interference.Take off cable fittings and fit appropriate ends.
    timberline Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2009, 05:18 PM
    I've got a 3 year old L111 and am having the same problem. I charged the battery this winter (jan) and didn't use the mower until April. The battery was dead. That would tend to say that the charger isn't the problem but that there must be a slow drain. The mower was kept in a heated garage so cold wasn't a problem. Any ideas?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

John Deere LT160 lawn tractor [ 8 Answers ]

My lawn tractor (LT)will not start. When it is on choke it just acts like it is not getting fuel. When on run when I try to start it it backfires and will not start. I checked the fuel filter, chenaged the spark plug, made sure the carborator was not clogged cleaned out the carborator bowl. The...

John Deere Lawn Tractor Starter Won't Engage [ 2 Answers ]

Always get a "click" when I try to start JD lawn tractor, but the starter won't actually engage now to turn the motor over. The lawn tractor is an older model 185 - 14 hp Kawasaki engine. Any suggestions? Thank you for your assistance. Jack

Problems with John Deere LT190 lawn tractor [ 12 Answers ]

I am having problems with my just under 2 year old lawn tractor. It works fine with the mower attachment. But just before Xmas 2006 the problem started, when blowing snow with the snow blower attachment that I just purchased early spring 2006 and only used a couple of times with no problems....

Clutch Replacement on John Deere 160 Lawn Tractor [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to remove and replace my clutch on a John Deere 160 Lawn Tractor. When I turn the bolt at the base of the clutch that holds the clutch to the mower, the belt wheel spins so that I am unable to loosen the bolt. Anyone have any ideas on how to stop the wheel from spinning?

John Deere Lawn Tractor L110 Repair transmission [ 1 Answers ]

I need help in learning how to repair or find a rebuilt transmission for my John Deere L110 Lawn Tractor. I would also like any information on where I could find a repair manual for this model?

View more questions Search