Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jillanpillan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Cavity "hungry" dentists.
    :mad: I've had a very bad experience with dentists in the past. One said I had about 13 cavities and it would cost me $2000 above what insurance covered. I was in chock! I questioned it of course and she rolled her eyes at me, treated me like a child. (I walked out feeling like a child with a lump in my throat). Got a second opinion with the same x-rays and that dentist was in chock as well.
    We've moved to a few places and I had a wonderful dentist here and no cavities in a long time, but I changed due to insurance and all of a sudden I have four cavities and my 4 year old daughter has one after taking her for the first time.
    Are there just money hungry dentist that will fix whatever little thing that doesn't need it and can go away. How can a dentist say you have cavity if you don't?
    What do I do? Do I trust this?:confused:
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Some dentists are more conservative than others. It may not be that you DON'T have a cavity but he/she doesn't think it is necessary to fill it. Some prefer to restore cavities when they are small so there is less chance of the cavity starting to bother you.
    When dentists read x-rays they can see how far the decay has gone through the enamel layer.
    Jillanpillan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2007, 08:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by flossie
    Some dentists are more conservative than others. It may not be that you DON'T have a cavity but he/she doesn't think it is necessary to fill it. Some prefer to restore cavities when they are small so there is less chance of the cavity starting to bother you.
    When dentists read xrays they can see how far the decay has gone through the enamel layer.
    Hi Flossie!
    Thanks so much for your reply!
    My husband told me that if the x-ray shows cavities, then it's no lie. Still, after the
    incident with all the stuff that needed to be fixed in my mouth (this is about 8 years ago) and that being a lie, I'm always suspicious. I'm just afraid that with this dentist I might
    have a few cavities every time now. It was just so weird to me that all of a sudden
    I had quite a few again and my four year old. I don't even know if that is common at
    that age.
    So if all other dentist I have does not care to fix little cavities, is it possible that they
    don't cause a tiny cavity can go away with good cleaning (is that even possible)?
    Thanks again! I wanted to see if it happens a bit that dentists actually can make up what needs to be fixed. If I were a tougher person, I would have done something about that other dentist. I held on to the paper work from that day. It also had some minor beauty things included, like fixing a tiny little chip etc. That is up to me, not her! It was not
    explained to me at the time and was taken for granted to be fixed. It was very strange.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2007, 08:07 AM
    The cavity won't "go away" but you can stop it from getting bigger by brushing well and flossing. You can also use a fluoride rinse regularly or a toothpaste with "Novamin" in it. There are two that I know of... Oravive and MI paste. I'm not sure if you can buy it over the counter where you live. I know you have to get it from a dentist here in Canada.
    Remember, any dentist has to get your permission to do anything in your mouth... it's called "informed consent".
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 23, 2010, 08:26 PM

Closed , three year old post

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

A/C or Heat does not work w/thermostat set "on" or "auto". [ 22 Answers ]

A/C or Heat doesn't work in "on" or "auto". Fan will not come on at the "on" position either. I changed the batteries in the thermostat. I also read somewhere to disconnect the "Y" and hold it to the "R" on the thermostat for two minutes. That will tell me if the thermostat is the problem. ...

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

Can not "copy", "paste" and "cut" ! [ 2 Answers ]

Last week, my laptop was infected by virus, I sent for repair. After that, I couldn't find "copy" and "cut", and"paste" is in grey colour ! What have to do to have them back ? Can someone help ? Thanks in advance !

View more questions Search