Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    geographymatt Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Sep 13, 2007, 10:31 AM
    Useful ways to spend my spare time
    Hi all,

Having just completed a post graduate qualification I've unexpectedly found myself without a job and with unlimited free time. However it seems my time management and imagination aren't as great as I expected as I've been having trouble finding worthwhile things to fill my free time.

What would be great is if people could suggest as many ways you can think of that I could fill my time. This could be leisure pursuits, interesting places to go (I live in the SW of England and feel I've been everywhere!), adventure trips (maybe even abroad), and making myself generally useful! It might help if people think about what they'd really like to do if they had plenty of free time and tell me about it!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 01:38 PM
    You hold tight right there geography guy... I've got a great one that I've been meaning to post for a few weeks now. I'm sorry but I have to run to an appointment but will be back in a couple hours to post something for you that I know you will love. I know because of your username. Sorry to tease you, you won't regret the wait :)
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 02:44 PM
    While we wait for Rick to put up his great idea,
    Why not I suggest something.
    Try to learn something you have never done before... read up on a subject you never thought would ever interest you.Go as far from your current profession as you can.

You might be surprised... :)

Sep 13, 2007, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    While we wait for Rick to put up his great idea,
    why not I suggest something.
    Try to learn something you have never done before.......read up on a subject you never thought would ever interest you.Go as far from your current profession as you can.

You might be surprised...:)
    I'm sure I can think something up. Thanks for the tip. My anticipation for the surprise will now have to wait to morning (its 23:03 in the UK). I'm sure it will be very cool!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2007, 05:37 AM
    It's really not my "great idea"... just something that has fascinated me a lot lately... and I'm guessing that matt will enjoy it. I'm thinking Capuchin might too :)

I posted it here.

Matt, I'll be curious to hear if you like it. Being an admitted geek, I'm guessing it may only bore some people.
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 06:18 PM
    What degree did you have? I would look for jobs like crazy during my spare time.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 14, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Matt, why not volunteer your time to great causes such as Big Brothers, be a big brother and an influence to boys who have no father figure, Habitat for Humainty Int'l, humane societies.

I could suggest more, but I don't know your interests.

Sep 15, 2007, 01:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicespringgirl
    What degree did you have? I would look for jobs like crazy during my spare time.
    I'm a qualified geography teacher, so I'm very limited in what I can apply for and what is available. Jobs are few and far between although there are a couple up country at the moment I'll be applying for.

Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Matt, why not volunteer your time to great causes such as Big Brothers, be a big brother and an influence to boys who have no father figure, Habitat for Humainty Int'l, humane societies.

That's sounds interesting, and I know absolutely nothing about it, could you give me a little more info please?
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2007, 04:21 AM
    Wow J9,
    That is a wonderful suggestion...
    Just shows how much you think of others and those in need.

Matt,
    Habitat for Humanity International-Local Affiliates

Try this site..

Sep 15, 2007, 04:51 AM

Hey, I absolutely love your idea, and am now very interested in doing this. I've visited the website I found via Google (Volunteering - Volunteer work and volunteer programs with Big Brothers Big Sisters., but this one only seems to be for the US. Do you know if I can do this in the UK? Or alternatively whether there is a similar UK organisation I could do something similar with?
    Expert

Sep 15, 2007, 08:50 AM
    Check this one out Matt. I hope they have one near you. You can also check out local Children's Hospitals.

BBC Inside Out - Big brothers and sisters

Sep 15, 2007, 09:12 AM
    Check this one out Matt. I hope they have one near you. You can also check out local Children's Hospitals.

BBC Inside Out - Big brothers and sisters
    Thanks, your link gives a good overview or what is involved, but it eventually links to this site (Welcome To Big Brothers & Sisters UK) which suggests that this is not currently running in the UK :( I wonder if there's anything similar I could try? I find it hard to believe this would be the only scheme of this kind.
    Expert

Sep 15, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Matt,

I am sorry it took you to that other link. Boo Hoo. I am in the states, so my knowledge of the UK is very limited.

Let's see if I can come up with something.

Chance UK

want to volunteer? - do-it.org.uk

Volunteer mentoring: NCH and Chance UK partnership - Charity volunteering - NCH Children's Charities

NCH and Chance UK call for older mentors - 31/08/2007 - Communitycare.co.uk - the website for social work and social care professionals

Do any of these help?
    Expert

Sep 15, 2007, 09:28 AM
    Matt, I found this one. Have you seen it?

Volunteering for Gwalior Children's Hospital

Sep 15, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Matt,

I am sorry it took you to that other link. Boo Hoo. I am in the states, so my knowledge of the UK is very limited.

Let's see if I can come up with something.

Chance UK

want to volunteer? - do-it.org.uk

Volunteer mentoring: NCH and Chance UK partnership - Charity volunteering - NCH Children's Charities

NCH and Chance UK call for older mentors - 31/08/2007 - Communitycare.co.uk - the website for social work and social care professionals

Do any of these help?
    Thank You so much, you have been a big help. I'm surprised you managed to find me the links so easily I have spent ages looking obviously my research skills need improving! Anyway the first two links were particularly useful as they have stuff in my area, including mentoring of children or young adults who need somebody to support them (e.g. people with social problems). I'm definitely going to be looking into this, all thanks to your information, so a big thanks for this. Please feel free to keep the suggestions coming if you find other useful stuff. :)

p.s. I've just seen the new link you've posted I'll have a look! - this looks interesting too I may email them to get some details. Thanks
    Expert

Sep 15, 2007, 09:56 AM
    Hey, Matt, no problem!!

I am all for mentoring children who need an adult role model.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want him to want to spend more time with me. [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend loves me and I know that he does, but he plans things with his friends before he would plan something with me and it drives me crazy. I have four little boys from a previous marriage. I get them half of the week and it seems that he would rather not be around. I try and plan...

Father cannot spend time with his son [ 6 Answers ]

My boyfriend of 8 yrs. Has a son with another girl. He is paying child support and is suppose to have joint custody. The child's mother has a boyfriend of only 9 months that she has him call dad. The mother and her boyfriend will not allow his son over so that they could spend time together. The...

I have a BIG problem and only a LITTLE time to spare [ 3 Answers ]

I need some help.. I'm the last month I have had sex with three people... in sept. I was checked for the usual and I had I never had gotten my meds for it so I still have it.. about two days ago I went to the doctor with my cousin to get checked. Because I had some red bumps on my vagina. The are...

Six Ways To Spend A Raise? [ 3 Answers ]

A hopeless optimist friend of mine have pointed out these best ways to spend a raise: 1. Pay off high-interest debt. 2. Build an emergency fund. 3. Add to your retirement savings. 4. Contribute to a flexible-spending account. 5. Add the extra money to your mortgage payments. 6. Use the...

View more questions Search