Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    icwc Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Slow running water pipe
    I have a half bathroom and the hot water faucet just dribbles out. I have run the water with just the hose connection and replaced the valve but it is still dribbling out. I suspect it is either clogged in the copper pipe or there is build up blocking it from having a water softner. Is there some way I can snake this copper pipe to see if there is a blockage that is preventing a steady flow of water? I can take the valve off and put a coat hanger in it but only so far and that did not seem to do anything, the clog may be further in the pipe. It is 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch copper tubing.

Thank you for your help.

Lorne Stamler
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 08:20 AM
    What faucet brand do you have?

Sep 13, 2007, 09:08 AM
    It is an American Standard, but it has nothing to do with the faucet, water runs slow directly from the copper pipe with nothing on it.

Lorne Stamler
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 09:11 AM
    Is other hot faucets slow? Is a valve in the line not open? What type of pipe?

Sep 13, 2007, 09:15 AM
    Other faucets are fine and the valve is open, it just seems that over 10 years there could possibly some buildup or blockage in the 3/4 inch copper water pipe, is that possible and can I snake it?

Thank you
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 13, 2007, 09:20 AM
    Doug, She says she has copper piping.
    " Is there some way I can snake this copper pipe to see if there is a blockage that is preventing a steady flow of water?"
    Due to the tight turns in the 90's it's impossible to run a snake through water pipe. However it it is possible to open both ends and blow the crud out using a compressor or a pressure tank. Good luck, Tom
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 09:21 AM
    If you had dip tube problems it could. It may be a royal pain to fix though. You may end up putting back pressure on that line with either water or air.
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 09:22 AM
    Thanks tom, just noticed your response.

Sep 13, 2007, 09:24 AM
    Please explain what a dip tube is.

Thank you
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 09:31 AM
    There was a problem with dip tubes not too long ago. The water heater manufacturers were warrantying them because of them breaking up. Google dip tube warrantees. dip tube
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 13, 2007, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by icwc
    please explain what a dip tube is.

Thank you
    A dip tube is a plastic tube in your water heater that directs the incoming cold water past the hot water in the upper part of the tank down to the bottom where it will be heated and raise to the top. If it goes bad and disintegrates it could be sucked up into your hot water system and clog inlets. To check for this problem unscrew the aerator from the faucet in question and check the screen for white particles. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water running slow from taps [ 4 Answers ]

Can anyone help, my hot water is running very slow,cold is fine ,don't know what the ansewer is.

Slow running to non-existent water flow from kitchen faucet [ 1 Answers ]

The water flow from the kitchen faucet went from flowing really slow to nothing. We removed the lines and there was a lot of calcium deposits. We cleared all of the lines and it still didn't help, so we changed out the entire kitchen faucet and it worked great for one day. After we ran the...

Water running from outlet pipe. [ 3 Answers ]

I have water continuously running from an outlet pipe on the side of my house (not the AC condensation pipe). The water is warm and it appears that my hot water heater is emptying and filling continuously. No other appliances are running and there are no signs of leaks anywhere in or around the...

Slow running hot water in the tub and shower [ 2 Answers ]

:( My shower and tub hot water runs with very little pressure. The house is only two years old. I have checked for clog pipes or screens. This only happens to the bathroom.

Slow running cold water [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the story, and I appologize for the length: I live in a newer trailer house (fiance owns it). I believe it's a '92 or '94, or close to there. The trailer court that the house is located in is on a private well for the entire court. I know the water is fairly hard since I used to have to...

View more questions Search