Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jot39 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Won't speak
    My child is 2 1/2 and won't even use baby talk. She's been checked out and Ive been told everything is fine but she is very reluctant to learn to talk. She doesn't even say Mama or Dada or nothing. All she does is make noises and point to something. She know what everything is and she's very bright. We read to her and when I try and sit down to show her things in books she gets up and walks off. She's very independent. Any ideas on how to encourage her to talk and to show talking is fun? I can't wait for mammy and little girl conversations
    MadamButterfly Posts: 54, Reputation: 12

Mar 24, 2007, 11:44 AM
    My younger brother has mild Asberger's Syndrome and did not begin talking into he was almost four years old. However, when he did begin, his vocabulary was immense, and he was well beyond "baby talk". Some children, for whatever reason, choose not to talk. The fact that your daughter is very independent shows that she knows what she wants and that she is just not interested at the moment.

Unless you begin to suspect otherwise, don't have her tested for Asberger's Syndrome, as it is commonly misdiagnosed (there are far too many doctors who think drugs are a cure-all). Asberger's Syndrome is similar to Autism, although it is often much milder and does not have such a set diagnosis. So, just give her some time. She's independent and intelligent, so I'm sure she's only holding back because she doesn't feel the need, or want, to talk just yet.

-m
    GGaines Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jot39
    My child is 2 1/2 and wont even use baby talk. Shes been checked out and Ive been told everything is fine but she is very reluctant to learn to talk. She doesnt even say Mama or Dada or nothing. All she does is make noises and point to something. She know what everyting is and shes very bright. We read to her and when I try and sit down to show her things in books she gets up and walks off. Shes very independent. Any ideas on how to encourage her to talk and to show talking is fun? I can't wait for mammy and little girl conversations
    Hi, I have a nephew that is exhibiting the same signs. His mother was told by a speech pathologist to put her mouth to his mouth and say certain small words like bye, bye, hello, hot, hi, toy, book, etc. Just small one syllable words. Since the problem does not seem to be affiliated with her hearing, it might just be the forming of words that's challenging. Also, being around other children her age that are speaking is a great way to expose her to speaking skills. Good Luck! I hope this will help.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 24, 2007, 04:02 PM
    This can easily be solved. Stop giving her things when she points and makes her noises. If she wants it she has to ask for it.

Children are master manipulators. She knows what buttons to push and she does.

If she wants juice, she has to say "juice please" or she doesn't get juice.

If she has had her hearing tested, and all is fine, you have to resort to other measures to get her to talk. I had this with my boy who is now 5 and I can't get him to be quiet now.
    kizley Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 01:37 AM
    I'm relaxed by reading replies here,becoz my 3 yr old also do not speak--he don't want to speak... hope he will start speaking soon...
    kizley Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 04:32 AM
    Is mild asbegers syndrome treatable,can children's with this can go to normal schools..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If someone can speak chinese, I need your help! [ 13 Answers ]

Hello all, I have found this forum to be quite valuable and I am hoping someone can help me out. I am looking to purchase some goods from a Chinese manufcature and import them to Australia. The product in particular are chair covers and the prices I have been quoted are very cheap. The...

Does anyone speak Tagalog? [ 15 Answers ]

I am fluent in tagalog and now that I'm back here in america, there is no one around that I can speak it with. I just want some simple conversation to keep it up.

My Children won't speak to me [ 10 Answers ]

Hi there I am 53 years old I have two children aged 23 and 20. I left my wife about three years ago as my marriage was dead for over 15 years however I did stay mostly for the sake of my children and also for financial reasons as I would not have been in the position to have two homes and...

Speak hesitations [ 3 Answers ]

When there is social gathering 8-10 people I feel nervousness and scared to speak and don't find any word to speak.Infact I got bored and want to run away.How can be a leader of group Please help

Anyone speak Latin? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey there! Anyone speak latin (late latin similar to what was spoken during the middle ages)? I'm in need of a simple translation from "Master Archer" from english to latin. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

View more questions Search