Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Idontknowhow Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 07:57 PM
    White, fuzzy mold in concrete
    On the floor of my unfinished basement there are cracks and they seem to be growing something white and fuzzy, that I think is mold. Anyone know for sure what this is, and how to get rid of it?

I tried dousing it with bleach, but its coming back after about a week.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2007, 12:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontknowhow
    On the floor of my unfinished basement there are cracks and they seem to be growing something white and fuzzy, that I think is mold. Anyone know for sure what this is, and how to get rid of it?

I tried dousing it with bleach, but its coming back after about a week.
    Efflorescence is caused by the salts in the block leaching to the surface this usually happens in areas of high humidity. It can be removed by washing with either a strong detergent or muriatic acid such as sure klean or similar product. But if you don't find the source of the moisture can and most often will reoccur.

Cleaning masonry surfaces and muriatic acid from the Natural Handyman home repair and do it yourself website

Muriatic acid is dilute hydrochloric acid. Think battery acid. Get a few drips on your clothes and when you wash them, your clothes come out as swiss cheese.

Dry Loc makes a powder that's mixed with water that's a little safer.
    Idontknowhow Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2007, 05:48 PM
    Thanks, I have got muriatic acid, couldn't find the pre-mixed stuff, so now I'm just wondering about a safe disposal method after I finish with what I need?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2007, 07:13 PM
    Here is a link to the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for muratic acid.

Sanitary sewer neutralized with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) or at a hazardous waste drop-off location. Reminder - to never add water to acid, but add acid to water.

This was the other stuff I talked about. UNITED GILSONITE LABS 01908 "DRYLOCK ETCH" CLEANER 12OZ
    Which is a powder and requires mixing with water.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 10, 2007, 07:56 PM
    Muriatic acid is already premixed, prior to mixing it was hydrocloric acid. Keep it simple gave you the perfect answer. Now keep in mind that this stuff is not hazardous just unsightly. You could leave it or just scrape and sweep when it bugs you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

White, fuzzy bug, 6 legs, antennes [ 4 Answers ]

I found a white, fuzzy bug with 6 legs and antennes in my house. What kind is it?

Fuzzy Bunz? As good as they say? [ 7 Answers ]

I have always been a firm believer that disposable is just plain better on the whole cloth/disposable diaper war... but recently I have read many articles that say the Fuzzy Bunz diapers aren't the same as the cloth diapers Grandma used. I have read and seen testimonials from several moms saying...

White mold [ 6 Answers ]

I live in a old cotton mill building that was here since the 1900's, that was made in to apartments, my apparment is on the 3rd floor beside the stare way but there is a staire way door, I was ask to clean up the staire for a bit of reduction off my rent, and I sweep white mold off the cender brick...

Fuzzy internet images [ 2 Answers ]

I am not good with computers, but we just brought our computer in to get repaired. It has been great, but now our images are fuzzy. How do I get in to change the frequency to make it good again? Thanks!

Fuzzy digital DVD slides [ 1 Answers ]

I use Nero 6 to make DVD slideshows. Shown on my TV the slides are fuzzy although I have an 8 megapixel camera. My prints are fine and my TV works fine. What is the trick?

View more questions Search