Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krisjvr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 03:53 PM
    Can I file my Fed returns without ITIN or W7 ?
    Hi

I need some advice reg ITIN and W7. I'm a foreign guy. Got married last year outside US. My wife lived with me a few months last yr 2006 and till APR 07. Our tax return got rejected because we did not notarize the documents. Now she is not in the US. And we had some marital problems and I do not have her original documents to get them notarized. She is not cooperating with me regarding this issue. Is there a solution to this problem? I only have copies of our marriage certificate from abroad. And have copies of her H4 visa. Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Kris.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 15, 2007, 08:38 AM
    Kris:

If your wife is not coopertaing, then you have a problem.

Without her coopertaion, you cannot file jointly with her.

You should file as a non-resident alien using Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ until you get things resolved with your wife. You can always amend the return later.
    ITIN-Savvy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 02:02 PM
    Perhaps some diplomacy is called for, if you are due a refund, offer her a portion if she will mail you valid notarized copies of her documents. Living abroad she can get them notarized on a US military base or by a US consulate only. Or she could send you originals which you could send to the IRS to obtain ITIN's. Remember they must be one of the 13 documents excepted, you have to send two documents and one must be a photo id, or you can send just a passport, as it is a stand alone document.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 7, 2007, 08:05 PM
    ITIN-Savvy has made excellent points!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Applied for ITIN along with Fed tax return about 8 weeks ago [ 10 Answers ]

Hi: Applied for ITIN(for my wife) along my with Fed tax return about 8 weeks ago, I haven't received ITIN and Fed refund. I called IRS and they are asking me to wait for another week and resubmit the application. This time If I want to apply in person , can I go to local IRS office and...

Can you file joint Federal returns and separate State Tax Returns [ 1 Answers ]

We lived in different cities so can we file joint federal returns and separate state returns??

Tax returns - ITIN [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Facts I have 3 dependants 2 children and a spouse. One child is born in the US and has an SSN. My wife and a child do not have a SSN or ITIN. We have been in the US fince Jan 2005. I have the exemption as 5 on my W-2 withholdings I do not need to file any state taxes

Fed employee, must I file in both states where I live and where I work [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. Was told by former CPA and filed this way through him for years. He states that because I was a fed civilian employee, I did not have to file NY state taxes and could get away with only filing NJ state taxes since that is where I live. My gut tells me he is wrong... but he comes highly...

View more questions Search