Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2007, 06:22 AM
    Carmel Corn
    Anyone know how to make carmel popcorn? Do I use microwave or regular popcorn. Buttered or plain. How do you make the carmel? Thanks for any help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 18, 2007, 06:31 AM
    Everyday Cook Recipes - No Bake Carmel Corn Recipe

Everyday Cook Recipes - Carmel Corn Recipe
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 18, 2007, 06:34 AM
    4 quarts popped corn (measured after popping), using regular plain corn, not microwave
    1 16 oz container peanuts (optional)
    1 cup light brown sugar
    1 stick butter
    1/4 cup white corn syrup
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1/3 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 250°F degrees.

Measure 1 cup of light brown sugar into a medium saucepan (with high sides) and stir in 1 stick of butter, 1/4 cup of corn syrup and a pinch of salt.

Bring to a boil, stirring constantly (set timer for 2 minutes).

Remove saucepan from heat and quickly stir in 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and vanilla (mixture will foam up). Stir mixture down.

Using a pot or bowl which is large enough to hold all of the popped popcorn, combine popcorn and hot mixture, stirring and tossing to mix thoroughly using a large spoon greased with butter. Add peanuts (optional). When pouring liquid over popcorn be careful because the mixture is HOT.

When thoroughly mixed, spread the coated popcorn on a greased baking sheet. Do not overload the baking sheet; bake in multiple batches if necessary.

Bake 15 minutes at 250°F; turn over using a silicone spatula and bake another 15 minutes.

Allow to cool thoroughly and store in air-tight containers in a cool place.
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2007, 06:40 AM
    Must spread some rep around but sounds great. I will try. Thank you so much
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2007, 06:07 PM
    J_9, Just fixed this carmel corn this evening, and it has STATE FAIR blue ribbon written all over it . IT IS GREAT. Thank you so much
    Expert

Sep 7, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Glad you liked it! It is my homemade version of Cracker Jacks.

I just forgot to add the prize.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2007, 06:41 PM
    J_9 this sounds incredible! I'm going to have to try and make some of this you are making me so hungry!
    Expert

Sep 7, 2007, 06:46 PM
    This is one of my very favorite junk food recipes. LOL

It truly is awsome, but a Blue Ribbon winner? Esquire, you must have a knack in the kitchen.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2007, 06:56 PM
    Is white corn syrup the same as something like Karo which is the light corn syrup?
    Expert

Sep 7, 2007, 07:03 PM
    You know, it's been a while since I made it. I checked and am out of all syrups. If I remember correctly it was Karo.
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2007, 07:16 PM
    What I use just said light corn syrup. It was store brand. NO J_9, I don't have a knack in the kitchen. I had to have a lady shopping in the store help me find the syrup, vanilla and baking soda. What I can do though is read and follow directions LOL
    Expert

Sep 7, 2007, 07:18 PM
    You may not have a knack at the grocery store, but you have a knack at cooking. LOL

I make mine only once a year around Halloween for a bonfire party for my daughter's birthday. Even after 13 years I still tend to forget what brands I use. I just grab whatever is in the pantry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pop corn [ 3 Answers ]

Pop corn.. good or bad for weight loss? How do you calculate the calories for pop corn?

Neighbors from Hell! The Cops called over corn! [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everyone! I am desperate so I am glad to have found this site. I will be as brief as possible. :) So I live next to the neighbors from hell. This is a development and they have 2 beagles. They have an invisible fence and the dogs have fun run of the yard and will bark at the air....

Cleaning or painting pop corn ceiling [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter has a rental house that she is trying to get in shape to put on the market to sell. The last tenant destroyed it. The whole house has pop corn ceiling and some of it is very dirty. Can it be painted or cleaned? She is doing the work herself so she needs a easy and quick way to do it....

Corn into Ethanol Fuel [ 7 Answers ]

Who is buying up the corn to convert it into ethanol fuel? This may sound like a 3rd grade question but I read an article in the newspaper that mentioned corn sells going up because of the ethanol fuel surge.

View more questions Search