Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    freddiestr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 06:58 AM
    Walking distance for puppy
    Hi. Can anyone help me. I have a 5 month old retriever and get conflicting answers to appropriate distances or length of times to walk my pup - from 2 miles to 5 minutes per month of his life. What is normal?
    katieperez Posts: 236, Reputation: 35

Sep 6, 2007, 07:34 AM
    Hi there! I've got two 5 1/2 month old rotties and as advised by my vet and research I've done, it's best not to walk too far for too long. As their little bodies are still growing and developing, you don't want to put too much stress on their muscles and joints. Two short walks at different times of the day are much better (and more enjoyable for the puppy) than one very long walk. I usually keep them limited to around 5 or 6 blocks. I'm not too familiar with retrievers and their energy level so he may need a few more/less depending. Also you can't go wrong with just reading how he is feeling. If he seems like he's starting to poop out, head home. It's always better to travel a short route a few times than go very far from home and end up with a long walk home when your pup is already beat. I'm in Texas and the heat gets EXTREME and sometime my pups are miserable just going out to pee. We walk in the morning and evening when the heat is much more tolerable. Never walk your pup when there is danger of him getting heat stroke/exaustion. Hope this helped and you can always consult with your vet if you're still unsure. Labman has excellent advise as well, I'm sure he'll reply to your question:)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2007, 08:18 AM
    I have considerable experience raising young Labs for a dog guide school. These are dogs that are a useless waste if not able to work a long, active life. Damage from over exercise would be a disaster. They really give us very little in limitations on walking the dog other than not pushing it beyond what it wants to do. They do say to limit its running and discourage jumping. So walk your dogs as much as you have time for as long as it is eager to go. At 5 months, it is well past where you can pick it up and carry it if it gets too tired as I have frequently done when they are smaller.

What they are very particular about is switching it to adult chow at 4 months and keeping it lean. This slows growth and puts less stress on developing joints.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2007, 11:07 AM
    In the heat please be considerate of their little pads on their feet. I have seen puppies walking on the hot pavement, and their owners oblivious to their discomfort.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2007, 06:32 PM
    bushg has a good point. When I take my dog for a walk, I wear aqua shoes (you can pick them up cheap at stores like Target, etc.) They are essentially mesh shoes with thin soles meant to be worn while at the beach, boogieboarding, etc. I like them because they are the nearest thing to being barefoot that I have found, and it gives me a good feel for how the surface feels to my dog. If I find it hot, prickly, etc. I can adjust the pace or where we walk to suit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Walking on the treadmill advise. [ 2 Answers ]

I've been walking and even running on the treadmill for about a month and I've been hoping to lose upper body weight such as my stomach. I wanted to know if anyone had some advise to that since I'm new to all this weight lose. I went out of my way to buy a treadmill, ab roller, bike, weights etc....

Stitch when walking [ 3 Answers ]

I keep getting a stitch whenever I walk I'm not speed walking as I sometimes do. But just walking normal pace and I get a stitch it doesent go away when I try breathing harder, I'm not unfit or overweight either. Do you know what could it be and if it is just a stitch, why? And when will it go...

Walking distance for a 12 week old lab puppy [ 3 Answers ]

I'm walking my 12 week old yellow lab puppy regularly, but just short distances. I'm wondering what is an appropriate distance for the puppy.

Puppy resistant to walking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a puppy approximately 14 weeks old. He is resistant to walking. He doesn't seem to have any particular fears to anything, however he grabs the lead in his mouth, refuses to walk, won't leave the yard, etc. When I try to get him to go he becomes somewhat aggressive and tries to bite my feet,...

Critical Distance is Pipe Length or Literal Distance? [ 2 Answers ]

Is critical distance measurement based on the literal distance from a trap to the vent stack, or the total length pipe from the trap to the vent? In other words, if the trap is 4 feet from the vent, but the drain pipe from the trap to the branch that has the vent connected to it is 10 feet, is the...

View more questions Search