Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bstlsmith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Math-mixture problems
    A jeweler has 4 rings, each eighing 19 g, made of an alloy of 15% silver and 85% gold. He decides to melt down the rings and add enough silver to reduce the gold content to 78%. How much silver should he add?
    _________ g silver
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2007, 05:57 PM
    You could re-word this problem to make it a little more palatable.

"How much pure silver should be added to 76 grams of an alloy that is 15% silver in order to get an alloy that's 22% silver?".

Let s = the amount of pure silver to be added.

Can you continue? Write back if you're still stuck.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2007, 10:42 AM
    If the gold content changes from 85% to 78%, then what will be the new percentage of silver? Determine that proportion of 19g, then multiply by 4. Next, calculate how much silver is in the rings currently (15% of 19g times 4), then subtract. The difference is the amount of silver that needs to be added.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need Praxis II sample math problems [ 2 Answers ]

I am taking the Praxis II math exam. I didn't think the ETS study guide gives enough sample problems. I think the commercial publisher study guides are written from the point of view of academics, not truly with the Praxis in mind. For example, the commercial study guides do not emphasize the...

Mixture Problems [ 1 Answers ]

How many ounces of pure water must be added to 80oz of a 20% acid solution to make a solution that is 12% acid? (hint: Pure water is 0% Acid.)

Math problems [ 2 Answers ]

Do all of these problems in good detail please! Dan has $160 to spend on t-shirts and shorts for his new wardrobe. T-shirts cost $8 a shirt and shorts cost $16 a piar. Write a inequality and solve. next.. Find the value of r so that the line that passes through (-4, 3) and (2, r) has a...

Mixture problems [ 3 Answers ]

Hi alll- I have two homework problems that I need help with: 1. How many liters of pure water should be evaporated from 7.5 liters of a 15% acid solution so that the solution that remains is a 20% acid solutions. 2. The number N of guests that arrive at a mall food court each hour can be...

Math word problems [ 3 Answers ]

A fire truck parks 16 ft away from a buliding. The fire truck extends its ladder 30 ft. How far up the building from the truck's roof does the extension ladder reach?? :P :-/

View more questions Search