Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmhah Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2005, 12:46 AM
    Ping not recognized as internal or external command
    When running cmd C:\Documents and Settings\... \ping
    I get the following error
    'ping' is not recognized as an internal or external command.
    Please help me solve my problem
    Thanks
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 28, 2005, 02:12 AM
    Your system has lost the setting for ping.
    Here's how to fix it:
    1. Right click 'My Computer', select 'Properties', click on the 'Advanced' tab
    2. Select 'Enviornment Variables'
    3. Select 'PATH' from the list of system variables and edit

set PATH to c:\windows\system32
    OK job done

Nov 28, 2005, 07:16 AM
    Ping not recognized as internal or external command
    Thanks a million for your assistance.
    There is only one thing that still bothers me.
    Previously I used to be able to ping from
    Start
    Run
    Cmd
    C:\Documents and Settings\... >ping (whatever)
    Any idea why this no longer works?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 28, 2005, 07:21 AM
    If you have followed my instructions then it will work that way.

The PATH field needs to be the first one in the list, if you have more than one.

I know this works as I had exactly the same issue and this resolved it.

Sometimes you do have to reboot for it to take effect.

Nov 28, 2005, 07:54 AM
    Still puzzled
    Ive tried what you suggested ans still cannot ping from Documents and Settings even after rebooting?
    It always used to work?
    Like I said I can ping from Windows\System32\cmd
    Steve_C Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Feb 26, 2007, 07:05 PM
    Here is your problem.
    Your environment variable settings were altered by some application you installed.
    I just had the same problem and I know exactly how to fix it.
    A previous poster said that you need to change your settings to c:\windows\system32.
    This is not right as it will cause problems with installed applications and some native applications that windows has will not run if they are outside that directory.
    Same location (Right click on My Computer, then select Properties, then Advanced tab, then Environment variables button located towards the bottom. You will be given a dialog that has 2 parts. The top part is for user variables. Usually there is not much there and sometimes will have nothing at all. This is normal and you do not need to add or adjust anything there. The second part is for the system itself. You will see several entries there. The one your interested in is the one with PATH label to the left labeled Variable. Left click to select the Path entry and then select Edit. You will be presented with another dialog with 2 fields that you can edit. Do not alter the Variable name field as the system needs that name to set paths for the windows environment. Under Variable value: I would never tell you to delete that line and reset it to a path that is C:\windows\system32. This will cause you problems if you had other paths set up for other applications there. What you do is copy the entire field so you can see what is all there using a text editor like notepad.exe. Once you copy the field the parts your concerned with are the entries %SystemRoot% and %SystemRoot%\system32. These should be the first 2 entries and in that order. Each entry is separated by a ";" (no quotes). So the first 2 entries should be like the following:

%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32

There is a ";" (no quotes) between them. The first one is to tell the system where your windows Operating system is. You can type that in a command prompt and get something similar to C:\windows. This is important that it comes first as it tells the shell (A shell is the same as command prompt) and the desktop which is an application running called explorer.exe (not to be confused with Internet Explorer) Where the OS files reside such as the executables and command files are. The second is where the programs such as ping.exe and arp.exe are located.

Be careful when you do edit system stuff as you may break software and be forced to reinstall them.
    Microsoft has a page that lists all the environment variable settings.
    %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot% are only 2 of them. There are several more that serve similar to wildcards to the system folders and settings.
    Here is the Microsoft page I am referring to: Microsoft Corporation

Try typeing (without the quotes) "echo %homedrive%" in a command prompt window and see. The system is set up in a way that these wildcards point to the proper places.

I hope this helps you solve your issue.

Steve C.
    annengerzie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2010, 09:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Your system has lost the setting for ping.
    Here's how to fix it:
    1. Right click 'My Computer', select 'Properties', click on the 'Advanced' tab
    2. Select 'Enviornment Variables'
    3. Select 'PATH' from the list of system variables and edit

set PATH to c:\windows\system32
    OK job done
    I had the same problem. Thanks for this.:)
    ponagandlamanoj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2012, 11:57 PM
    Thank You bro... tht worked for me... Good job.. keep it up...
    sahil bhagat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2012, 09:52 PM
    Right click "My Computer" and click "Properties". Click the "Advanced" tab up top followed by the "Environment Variables" button at the bottom. In the 2nd list box, scroll down to the 5th or 6th entry "Path", select it and click "Edit". Add "%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;" (minus the quotes) to the beginning of the line. Okay the changes and try out your commands now.

Windows 2000 is similar. If you have a different OS, post what it is and we can figure it out.
    larsj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2013, 12:59 AM
    I got the problem after installing java SDK and entered PATH to java, but I solved ptoblem wit " ;c:\windows\system32 " after java path, and remember te semicolon! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Drive Not Recognized in Windows XP [ 2 Answers ]

!! PLEASE HELP ME!! Okay, I have been beating my head against the wall for two days now, and I have been without my system for a week, so I'd really appreciate the help. I built a system three days ago and everything was going perfectly had programs up and functioning great. I have two...

Printer not Recognized [ 7 Answers ]

I am very new to networking. I recently setup a Linksys Wireless network for 3 of the computers in my house. All computers are running XP Pro. I did not use the Windows Wireless Network setup wizard. I simply configured the router then use the provided software with the cards and enabled WEP. I...

USB Device not recognized [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 laptops Toshiba : one is a PORTEGE 7200 and the other Tecra 8000. Both worked perfectly with a USB Wireless adapter Linksys WUSB54G on Windows 2000 until last week. After I installed Windows XP professional, both stopped recognizing the USB wireless adapter. I have "USB Device not...

Internal and external vga & Video card with TV out... [ 2 Answers ]

Ho.. sorry I an a beginner on this field... I want to buy a vga or video card for watching movies loaded in my computer on my TV screen.. so I want to know what is the difference between the VGA and The Video card.. my computer is pentium 4 so if I bought a 256 mb vga card or video card with...

I can ping an address, but browser doesn't work [ 4 Answers ]

I can ping www.yahoo.com, but when I put the address in my browser, I get page not found, the same error on both my browsers - IE and netscape, I uninstalled my virus software, and still same error. My other computer works fine going through the same router and modem. Can I reset my socks...

View more questions Search