Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JustinD Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2007, 08:52 PM
    Expansion Valve Stuck Closed
    Our Central A/C has been blowing warm air for about the past week or so. I have tested with a new thermostat, completely cleaned the outside unit, cleaned the evaporator coils/fins, and tested continuity and voltage on the wiring harnesses. All components appear to be running properly, although I have very little knowledge of A/C systems. I finally decided to fork out the cash for a service call and the technician came to the conclusion that the Expansion Valve was "stuck" in the closed position. The system is still under a limited warranty for parts and he offered to replace the valve for a fee of approximately $400 for labor costs. That price instantly raised a red-flag for me so I declined, paid him the standard service call fee and sent him on his way. Like I said before, I have little knowledge of A/C systems but I felt the small service call fee was reasonable to be cautionary and do some researching first. Since I am a Navy Aviation Electronics Tech, it is my nature to at least attempt a fix on my own with as little resources and money as possible; we're no strangers to launching F/A 18's into the sky with duct-taped wings (just kidding... just kidding). So after doing some extensive searching on the internet for my problem I am still at a dead-end. I have read opinions that many techs can falsely diagnose the TXV as probable cause of failure. Apparently the indications of a faulty TXV are similar to other components (sensor bulb, among others, whatever this is). So I am seeking a possible "quick-fix" solution until I can afford to replace the component or even a solution that can fix it permanently without having to pay someone to evacuate the system and replace the valve. Is there any "myths" out there I can try? I'm thinking in terms of the potato to remove a broken light bulb theory or toothpaste to repair a scratched CD type of theories. I was thinking about turning the heat on for about an hour, or even turning the A/C on and blowing on the valve with a hair dryer or something. I am pretty desperate. Please help if you can, I am in TX and my wife and kids are starting to get cranky and it is dangerously hot this time of year.
    Thanks in advance!
    Justin
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 05:31 AM
    Unfortunately, there really is no "quick fix" if the expansion valve is indeed stuck closed. Possible scenarios: 1) The sensing bulb, capillary tube, or diaphragm have leaked the vapor charge and the valve is front-seated. 2) The system is contaminated with moisture which is collecting & freezing in the expansion valve. In this case the system will operate for a short time, then start "pumping down". Observing pressure gauges with system running will reveal this problem, and a moisture test is a recommended follow-up. Replacing txv will not correct this condition; recover refrigerant, install liquid line filter-drier, evacuate & recharge system. 3) Valve inlet strainer clogged. Like #2, system will "pump down", but this will occur immediately. If moisture contamination can be ruled out, refrigerant can be pumped down & isolated at outdoor unit (if equipped with service valves) to allow repairs to be made without the need to replace charge. 4) Particulate matter in valve mechanism. In a few RARE cases I have gotten lucky with this one: carefully tapping on txv caused mechanism to dislodge & system started working again. If this measure solves the problem, proceed immediately to the nearest lottery agent.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 03:01 PM
    It looks as though you are at the point of needing a professional, first of all to verify that the expansion valve is your problem, not all service people are as knowledgeable as KC13 and trouble shooting a txv takes experience, replacing one also requires a set of gages and possibly torches and the ability to pump the system down or recover the refrigerant.
    When you call for this repair, ask for approximate price of replacing the txv and make sure they check it first before just replacing it. Good luck, Mike
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 07:10 PM
    One way to check the TXV is to have a glass of Ice water and a Glass of Hot water and a set of gauges, connect the blue hose to the suction line and disconnect the bulb from the suction line, watch the pressure of the suction line for several minutes, then dunk the bulb into the Ice water and hold it for a while as you are doing this look at the pressure gauge, there should be quite a change if the bulb is still charged with freon, then do the same thing with the hot water and watch for a change in the pressure in the other direction. If you have changes I don't think you problem is with the TXV.
    otioskiii Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2010, 07:10 PM
    My liquid line is cold
    Garybarash Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2010, 12:36 PM
    Is the cap tube going to the powerhead broken or rubbed out?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a expansion valve [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I have a cental a/c in my home it is a york 3ton. The freon is controlled by an orfice. I was told that an expansion valve is much better. The reason for the change the system will not cool like I think it should. Even when it was new it did not work that well. I have a 1280sf raised ranch. I...

Thermal Expansion Valve replacement [ 19 Answers ]

I have a 2 1/2 ton Rheem heat pump and I need to know if the Thermal expansion valve can be disassembled or do you have to unsolder and replace the whole unit? The model # on the A coil is RCOB-C0305 serial number is M3292. It appears to me that the round portion that the bulb sensor goes into will...

Faucet still drips with angle valve closed [ 1 Answers ]

:( Bathroom faucet continues to drip even after shutting off angle valve under sink. Does this mean I need to replace the angle valve?

G4 cd tray stuck closed [ 2 Answers ]

My cd tray is stuck closed with a blank cd in it. I have a mac quicksilver g4. There used to be a little hole you could stick a clip in to open it, but not on this model. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search