Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fourwheeler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 01:23 PM
    Kilowatts needed to power the city of Pittsburgh, PA
    I working in sales for a recycling compand and we are putting together a "Green Sheet" for our customers to show them the environmental impact of the materials they recycle.

I have already found information on the amounts of different items that are saved by 1 ton of recycled paper.

I would like to give them a "visual" idea of this impact and know how many kilowatts are needed to power the city of Pittsburgh would give them a more realistic idea of what their recycling can do.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Curt
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 28, 2007, 01:28 PM
    I don't have any info about it, but I think that's a great idea. Good luck.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2007, 01:59 PM
    Call the power company.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 29, 2007, 05:41 AM
    Here's a back of the envelope calculation. The per capita energy consumption in the US is about 12,000 KwH/Yr: see
    List of countries by electricity consumption - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The population of Pittsburgh is about 340,000, so the total electricity consumption per year in Pittsburgh can be guestimated to be around 4,000,000 megawatt-hours/year, or an average electricity power draw of 466 megawatts. I suspect the energy saved by recycling 1 ton of paper is a pittance compared to that!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car won't start, no click and no power to radio, power window or locks [ 6 Answers ]

After installing a new starter on a 1999 2WD Explorer it will not start. There is no click when trying to start it, its just dead, and the radio, power locks/windows, a/c, and dash light don't work but the interior lights work and so do the headlights. We've had the starter checked to make sure...

New city. [ 13 Answers ]

I used to live in Whiting, Indiana. Now I live in Rogerparks Illlinois. It took me a long tim to make all the friends I used to have. It sucks because when I moved out here I went to a school called Armstrong. I am currently out of school due to summer break. But, that is not my problem. My...

90's spinoff of Power Power Rangers? [ 3 Answers ]

Obvious spin=off of the power rangers, but it only had three characters and they went to a cave/labratory whenever they were called to fight the bad guys... I don't know if it was a summer knock-off of the power rangers, or it's own thing?? It was basically the power rangers, but less 'rangers' and...

Power Distribution Units & Remote Power Panel [ 1 Answers ]

What is the basic functionality of these equipment ? What is differnce between PDU & RPP.

City trying to take my car [ 9 Answers ]

Hello everybody, New to the site and looks very imformative. Hopefully someone can help me out here. I live in Van Nuys CA. comfortable little apartment. Been here for 12 years now. My hobby is working on cars so I am usually under the hood of my car. About two months ago, City...

View more questions Search