Ask
    14 and confused Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Aug 28, 2007, 04:37 PM
    shaving my pubic hair
    I am only 14 but I shaved down there for the first time today

not for men but because it was hanging out of my bikini

I know it sounds horrible but it did

but now I regret it even though I needed to do it

I have seen things sbout a yeast infection and I don't know what I'm letting myself into

I don't know if a yeast infection is serious or not

can ssomeone fill me in

x:confused:
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 04:46 PM
    Are you asking if there is a connection between shaving your pubic hair and yeast infections?

If so, I don't know of any connection. Also there is nothing wrong with shaving your bikini line especially during the summer! Everyone wants to feel comfortable in their bathing suit.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2007, 05:01 PM
    Shaving is not correlated to a yeast infection. Vaginal yeast infections are caused by a fungus called Candida Albicans. Yeast are tiny organisms that normally live in small numbers on the skin and inside the vagina. The acidic environment of the vagina helps keep yeast from growing. If the vagina becomes less acidic, too many yeast can grow and cause a vaginal infection.

Sometimes, however, an infection can occur, but it is not a yeast infection. This from the TeenWire site:

"Shaving pubic hair can sometimes cause a bikini line infection. These infections usually occur because a razor can pick up bacteria in the bikini area and drag it into the follicles that hair grows out of. The hair follicles become infected, causing little bumps and often a red rash.

The best way to prevent razor bumps is not to shave. However, if that's not an option for you, here are some ways that may help keep those red bumps from showing up:

Scrub the bikini-line area with an anti-bacterial soap to reduce the amount of bacteria on the skin before and after shaving.

If a bumpy rash still occurs, try washing with an anti-bacterial soap twice a day.

After washing, apply an over-the-counter astringent or hydrocortisone on the infected area to help it heal.
    For some people, the appearance of a red bump may be a sign of an ingrown hair, which should be treated by a dermatologist.

Remember, whether someone chooses to shave, trim, or remove body hair is ultimately a personal choice, and it's usually done for cosmetic reasons. If people choose to trim their body hair, the amount they decide to remove is up to them.

There are a few different theories about the purpose of pubic hair. One theory is that it can help protect against infection. Some people think it's just there to increase sexual attractiveness, while others believe it reduces friction during body movement."

Hope this information helps!
    Cattie999 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2007, 02:33 PM
    You can't get a yeast infection from shaving your pubic hair.
    The only real problem with shaving is that it might make you itch when it grows back.
    Also sometimes like little red spots can occur.
    This is when you have ingrowing hairs, these will grow out.
    FVF Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 14 and confused
    i am only 14 but i shaved down there for the first time today

not for men but because it was hanging out of my bikini

i know it sounds horrible but it did

but now i regret it even though i needed to do it

i have seen things sbout a yeast infection and i dont know wat im letting mysefl into

i dont know if a yeast infection is serious or not

can ssomeone fill me in

x:confused:
    What kind of symptoms are you having?

Does it itch down there at all? Inner itching?
    What does your discharge look like? Next time you use the restroom, do some investigating.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 06:57 PM
    Ok, I am a guy, but am I missing something what are you regretting? Just shaving the hair, I though most young girls shaved to wear those little outfits, Now wearing some of those outfits is something to regreat?
    jessb Posts: 290, Reputation: 51

Jan 25, 2008, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Ok, I am a guy, but am I missing something what are you regretting?? just shaving the hair, I though most young girls shaved to wear those little outfits, Now wearing some of those outfits is something to regreat?
    That's something I would agree with... thank goodness men think that way to..!
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2008, 12:35 AM
    I've never heard of anyone getting a yeast infection from shaving. But they are common. The statistics are something ridiculously high like 75% of women have at least one yeast infection during their lifetime. Its not fun, and its important to see your doctor if you thnk you might have one, but its not like it's the end of the world or anything either.
    The worst I've heard of from having is ingrown hairs. Also not fun, but usually easy to treat. I personally prefer Nair's bikini cream remover. It comes in a little tube. It takes a little longer than shaving but I think it's a lot better. I never get the same irritation with the cream that I do from shaving. I've tried some other hair remover's too, but that's the onl one that's worked for me.
    Rachael990 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2008, 11:29 PM
    I've been shaving since about that age, for the same reason, & I'm now 19. I don't think you have anything to worry about, shaving the outside should have no connection to infection on the inside.
    momof2kids Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Jan 7, 2009, 01:21 PM
    You can get a yeast infection from shaving because there is no hair left to absorb any and all moisture that is produced in the vaginal area...
    Zollerines Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2009, 05:59 AM
    Girl please continue removing hair from down there, its more hygeinic and men love it but becareful not use old blades as shaving with them may cause shaving rashes.

Girl be clean and avoid all sorts of nasties by cleaning regularly (once a month atleast)
    Joelius Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2009, 01:13 PM
    Actually by shaving your pubic hair you have made yourself LESS susceptible to yeast infections, crabs, and even some bacterial infections; as long as you shave in a sanitary way.

Yeast and bacteria need moisture to survive, and if you shave your pubic hair there will not be a significant amount of moisture held on the outside of your vagina after urinating sweating of showering (this is the area you need to worry about most because that is where it all starts). Also crabs cannot survive in an area without hair so shaving your pubic hair makes sense for that reason alone.

As for ingrown hairs, you can try exfoliating (preferably after a working out or maybe showering). If you would like more detail or do not like this solution try: Ingrown Pubic Hair Simple Ways To Stop It
    boltogr Posts: 16, Reputation: 7

May 24, 2009, 03:27 AM

Zollerines: What do you mean clean once a month? If you are referring to douching then you are giving really really bad advice to all women, especially a 14 year old.

Please, whatever you do, do not use a douche unless you have been advised to by a doctor. It is dirty and actually increases your chances of ending up with an infection. Not to mention, it is unnecessary. The vagina is a self cleaning part of the human body; and on that note that is what the menstrual cycle is for.

Also, for 14 and confused: yeast infections are very common in women and many people just get them, such as my sister for example, who has been getting them since puberty and before she started having sex. Know the symptoms and talk to an older woman (or not) who you trust or a doctor for advice.

I don't know if shaving increases your risk for a yeast infection, but I would agree with Momof2 on this one. Pubic hair soaks up sweat and other fluids that are not so healthy, preventing them from entering the vagina. For instance, fecal matter (a small amount is released when you pass gas btw) which will cause infections such as vaginitis.

But I would agree, it is a personal choice. Do not feel embarrassed. Many woman, including myself, shave or wax this region.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2009, 10:54 AM
    Wash well before you do it with soap and water... if you want you can just blot the area with hydrogen peroxide afterwards and it usually eliminates any red spots. That's what my wife does and she has never had a yeast infection or other infection from doing this in the last 18 years. You have to do it every 2 or 3 days to keep irtritating stubble away. But its quick and easy to do at the end of your shower or bath.
    iluvyou0 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2009, 08:20 PM

Don't worry. Every women shaves. You shouldn't be the one outa millions that get yeast infection from shavin. I'm 14 and have been shaving there for about 2 years now and have had no problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Shaving pubic hair [ 4 Answers ]

Recently, I have made a mistake when I shaved my pubic hair completely off. I did not have any particular reasons to do that. I am not going to shave my pubic hair anymore, but now I am concerned about what many people say about shaving pubic hair.They say that once you start shaving it is...

Shaving pubic hair? [ 44 Answers ]

Hey, I'm 15 and I've been thinking of shaving my pubes... I don't really like how hairy it is down there, I even have hair on my balls, is that normal? If I shave it is it true it will come back thicker and darker? Please reply :)

Shaving pubic hair ? [ 372 Answers ]

Okay this might be werid to ask ill ask anywayz I'm 15 and I shave my pubic hair. I started about a yr ago. Now I don't know if girls like it when a guy does that or no. I do it for two reasons. 1. it keeps that area clean and it doesn't itch. 2. my dick looks bigger lol. Now I don't get why...

Pubic Hair Shaving [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone else (particularly women) has this same problem if when they shave there pubic hair that when it grows back it has all these bumps around it and stuff where the new hair is coming in and what I can do about it?

About shaving pubic hair [ 2 Answers ]

I made the decision to shave my pubic hair tonight and it worked out great except for the fact that there are about 50 little tiny black spots on my pubic area now. Does anyone know what those could be? Thanks a lot. :)

View more questions Search