Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sherapower Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Thermostat goes blank and turns ac unit off
    Ac Repairman Just Worked On My Unit, Like Every Year This Time! And I Am Still Havivng Problems. I Will Notice The House Getting Warmer, I Go And Check The Thermostat And It Is Blank And The Ac Unit Outside Is Off Or The Fan Sounds Like Someone Has A Baseball Card In The Fan Blade, But Slowly Turning. I Remove The Thermo From The Wall, Sometimes Once, Sometimes Several Times One After The Other And When The Unit Is Back On Wall The Display Comes Back And The Ac Will Come On Eventually. Sometimes This Happens Once A Day, Sometimes 5 Times A Day, Sometimes Only Once In Awhile. There Is No Common Time During Day In Which This Happens Either. Should I Replace Thermo?
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sherapower
    Ac Repairman Just Worked On My Unit, Like Every Year This Time! And I Am Still Havivng Problems. I Will Notice The House Getting Warmer, I Go And Check The Thermostat And It Is Blank And The Ac Unit Outside Is Off Or The Fan Sounds Like Someone Has A Baseball Card In The Fan Blade, But Slowly Turning. I Remove The Thermo From The Wall, Sometimes Once, Sometimes Several Times One After The Other And When The Unit Is Back On Wall The Display Comes Back And The Ac Will Come On Eventually. Sometimes This Happens Once A Day, Sometimes 5 Times A Day, Sometimes Only Once In Awhile. There Is No Common Time During Day In Which This Happens Either. Should I Replace Thermo?
    What brand/type of t-stat do you have? Check for obstruction in fan blade.

Aug 28, 2007, 10:45 AM
    Chas roberts totaline, no obstruction. The repairman said he replaced some melted wires , etc.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2007, 10:51 AM
    In the sticky at the top of the forum, it tells how to check the themostat.
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 12:18 PM
    Melted wires are always nice... small square totaline t-stat, digital, 4 buttons (2 round, 2 arrow)? I have installed and shortly thereafter replaced quite a few of those due to premature failure. I don't install them anymore...

Aug 29, 2007, 12:01 PM
    I purchased a new thermostat, honeywell. The only confusion I am having is the old thermostat, totaline, has wires for w, o, g, r, c, y. the new honeywell has wires for rh, rc, w, y, g. not sure where to put extra wires.
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2007, 12:26 PM
    If you have a heat pump system (judging by the "O" you do), you will need a t-stat that is compatible for 2-stage heat, 1-stage cooling. Sounds like the one you purchased isn't.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Programmable thermostat went blank [ 12 Answers ]

Our thermostat (which has been serving solely as a thermometer since the last time we used the heat in the spring) blanked out yesterday afternoon. I checked the inside temp. during the day, then last evening the face was completely blank. It is completely unresponsive to any button pushing. I...

Outside unit doesn't come on when thermostat turns inside unit on so no heat? [ 1 Answers ]

My thermostat will trip my heater to turn on. The inside blower turns on but the outside unit doesn't turn on. I can get it to go by turnign off the unit at the thermostat and waiting a minute. I turn it on and off until I hear the outside unit turn on. The problem is when the Thermostat turns if...

Thermostat Blank Goodmann Airconditioner [ 14 Answers ]

Folks, The Thermostat for my upstairs AC went blank. I found this web site and found some very useful tips. Here's what I found so far by following the tips on this message board: 1. I looked for the 24 Volts and there was no voltage. 2. The thermostat is a simple one (not programmable)...

Thermostat display is blank [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Honeywell programmable thermostat and the display is blank. We had a bad storm and the power went out. I have checked the breaker and reset it. The blower will come on when I switch it to ON, but nothing else works. Can someone help?

Blank Thermostat [ 6 Answers ]

Hi Guys, I had the A/C unit running fine today... then all of a sudden my thermostat went blank... It was raining on and off today here in Plano, Texas... It is a Carrier A/C furnace unit, controlled by a Honeywell Thermostat... This thermostat gets its power from the unit itself... In the...

View more questions Search