Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dagmaster Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2007, 10:47 AM
    6/3 nmb exposed inside garage to spa
    Project is to feed a spa, above ground pool pump and 1 pool light 100-125 feet from 200 amp main siemens panel. (the light is an aqualuminator that has a transformer and plugs into gfci outlet and installs in pool return line)

I've got 6/3 nmb for inside garage run to spa that will exit bottom of 200 amp main from 60 amp breaker make a tight 180 degree turn up the wall and across the ceiling (11.5 ft high) and down back of garage to exterior panel 60 amp gfci disconnect located 7 feet from spa. #6 thhn in rigid pvc conduit from disconnect under deck to spa with no more than 6' liquidtight when entering spa.

1. How do I attach the 6/3 nmb to finished drywall on garage wall and ceiling and maintain "protected" language. Conduit with hangers? This run is complicated by turns, more than 360 degrees.

2. I'm not sure about type of exterior service panel disconnect for spa yet due to need for electric to pool pump (12.3 amp 1.5hp) and light. I'd like to limit number of exterior panels. I've seen spa panels with extra breaker spaces. Any suggestions for spa disconnects that would meet this need?

I was planning dedicated 20A gfci circuits using 12/2 nm for inside garage with #12 thhn/thwn in conduit for exterior runs to pump and convenience outlet via buried 1" conduit.

3. Return the nmb and do #6 thhn/thwn for the spa circuit and #12 for the pool pump and convenience outlet from main 200 amp panel in 1" shed. 20 gray conduit. More $.

Thanks for the help.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2007, 10:55 AM
    Go to the business that you obtained the spa pool, and they should have local codes for the electrical wiring. Also , you can check with your local electric company and the engineer at the electric company can tell you what it takes in your location to pass an electrical inspection.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2007, 12:43 PM
    Your plan is text book. I assume at min a #10 bare or green wire for ground?

Two hole PVC straps, probably 1 ", with long drywall screws work great. Need a strap 12 " from each box, and one every 4.5 ft.

Need to check stock in your area, there are 4-6 circuit panels available in raintite NEMA 3 R rating.

Don't pull NM cable through a buried conduit. Use UF in a larger conduit or better... THHN/THWN pulled wires through a conduit system. NM cable is not rated to be in a wet location, buried in a conduit is wet.

May be more cost, but will meet code and be safe for a long time.

Contact your city or town hall for your local building or code enforcement office to apply for a permit and inspection.

Aug 26, 2007, 04:19 AM
    [
    QUOTE=tkrussell]Your plan is text book. I assume at min a #10 bare or green wire for ground?
    Yes. I was going to just use #6 (B,R,G as this is 3 wire sundance optima spa). Sounds like #8 would be fine too.

Two hole PVC straps, probably 1 ", with long drywall screws work great. Need a strap 12 " from each box, and one every 4.5 ft.
    This is the plan.

Need to check stock in your area, there are 4-6 circuit panels available in raintite NEMA 3 R rating
    Thanks for the tip. I was looking at a Midwest outdoor 60 amp spa panel (actually it's rated 125 Amp but comes with 60 amp GFCI for spa and 4 total spaces. Lowe's Home I don't know the quality of this product compared to alternatives.

Don't pull NM cable through a buried conduit.
    Thhn/thwn ONLY for outside runs in conduit. Considering NMB for interior runs only. Can NM and thhn/thwn run in same conduit on INTERIOR runs only. Another words, do I need separate interior conduit for spa, pool and convenience or will one large Interior conduit allow nm and thhn/thwn together.

Contact your city or town hall for your local building or code enforcement office to apply for a permit and inspection.
    [/QUOTE]will do.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2007, 04:47 AM
    The cable should be a total of 4 wires, Since you plan to feed a subpanel for the tub and some other items stick with #6 THHN feeders.

Keep in mind that #6 NM cable is only good for 55 amps. If you want a full 60 amp feeder you need to stay with #6 THHN/THWN pulled through conduit.

Be sure the subpanel feeder is larger enough to handle the load of the hot tub and the misc items you plan to connect to the subpanel.

Midwest is a fine manufacturer, as is any of electrical panels available.

Do not combine NM and THHN in a conduit. NM can be in a conduit alone, but usually only for short runs of conduit. NM will be difficult to pull through a conduit, unless the conduit is grossly oversized.

Aug 26, 2007, 05:56 AM
    Thanks.

#6 thhn feeders only.

Tub max current draw is 48A. Should be OK.

Will size subpanel feeder appropriately for intended use.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2007, 05:25 PM
    I am glad you got the info you needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Second eyelid exposed [ 1 Answers ]

My cat Peaches second eyelid coming out from the corner of her left eye is covering a part of her eye. The eye looks clear but a little puffy. Is there anything I can do for her at home? I love my cat dearly she is 12 years old and just got over being spider bit. She was shaved and lanced and...

Exposed romex [ 2 Answers ]

Does revised nec permit romex in exposed area of work shed?

Exposed Romex [ 2 Answers ]

I started to put down batts insulation in the attic space above garage and noticed that the wiring coming from one of the outlets was stripped a little too much and one of the leads of the romex is actually exposed outside of the electrical box. I'd like to correct this before putting insulation...

Smell from exposed slab [ 1 Answers ]

I have a hole in my slab between my bathroom wall and kitchen wall, that my husband made years ago to fix a plumbing problem (radiant heat), He never concreted it back, he just filled it back with the dirt and stones he had removed to make the hole. He pushed the cabinets back in place and all is...

Exposed refridgerant pipes [ 14 Answers ]

Today I went to check what was makign an obnoxiously loud rattling noise coming from my central air unit's outside compressor. Upon silencing the loose, noisy gate that protects the fins by sticking a piece of wood in it, I noticed that the pipe that runs from the unit to the wall of my apartment...

View more questions Search