Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vparial Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2007, 06:31 AM
    99 accord dash warning lights - doors, battery, brakes
    Hi, I have a 99 accord V6. Last Thursday while driving home from work, the parking brake light and the battery light on the dashboard suddenly lit up while I was at a red light. Then a few minutes later, the door ajar lights (all 5) and the brake light below the door lights lit up. None of the doors are open and neither was the parking brake on. We tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to see if this would fix the problem, but only the clocks and radio stations were affected; the lights were still on afterwards. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2007, 07:47 AM
    Unusual problem. The flow is usually ground - switch - gauge light, which is very straight-forward. As with all automotive electrical problems, I would begin by ensuring the battery is fully charged. Remove it and place it on a charger. Be sure to clean battery terminals and connectors. Next, check all under-dash and under-hood fuses with a test light or multimeter. Here's how to do it:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

If the problem persists, I would have the alternator checked, since the first sign of a problem originated with the battery light going on while the car was idling at a red light. After that, check the switch of any of the items and see, just for the heck of it, if it makes any difference. Finally, remove and replace the gauge assembly--there might be a printed circuit board (PCB) problem triggered by the heat. See if the problem goes away, when it's cooler outside. If it does, replace the gauge assembly.

Aug 13, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Thank you so much, will let you know how it turns out.

Aug 20, 2007, 06:26 PM
    So we went to Autozone last week, bought an alternator, and installed it in the car. That solved the problem - no more dash lights. Thanks txgreasemonkey.

Two days later, I noticed that something squeaks when I start the car, and it seems to get louder whenever I step on the gas. My husband says it might be the belt tensioner. Anybody have/had the same problem and how did you fix it?

Thanks again in advance...
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 06:44 PM
    The alternator belt likely needs replacing. Old belts dry-rot and squeal. This is likely the problem, since it occurred after replacing the alternator. It's best to replace the belts to the air conditioner and power steering, while you are at it.

If belt deflection between the alternator and the crankshaft pulley is reduced too much, there's risk of premature alternator bearing failure. Instead of replacing the old belt, it's tempting to tighten the belt too much. Midpoint deflection should be .25 inch.

Aug 23, 2007, 06:38 AM
    What’s the easiest way to get the idler pulley for the alternator belt off a 99 Honda Accord V6? When you unscrew the center bolt, it hits the frame before it is completely backed out, preventing the pulley from being removed. If you go at it from the bottom, it looks like you have to remove the splash pan, which has a bunch of funky push-type fasteners that probably need a special tool to remove. The other alternative may be unscrewing the engine mount bolt and jacking the engine. Either method seems like a lot of trouble. Thanks a million if you can help me with this one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

93 honda accord no dash lights [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 93 accord and I have no dash lights I have replaced the cluster still no lights

2000 Honda Accord dash lights [ 32 Answers ]

The dash lights went out on my 2000 accord LX 6 cyl coupe. I have no dashlights or radio lights. I checked all the fuses and this did not help. It is not the bulbs as the lights come on on the clock and radio when the headlights are off. Please help.

2000 honda accord dash lights [ 1 Answers ]

i have a 2000 honda accord v6 couple..my dash lights are not working...would u know which fuse it is for this..or where the bulb is located..at night i can not see how fast im going..its dark..the only thing lit up is the d4 and the miles light..thanks

Dash lights won't go off and battery goes flat [ 6 Answers ]

Since putting a new battery in the car the dash lights won't go off and the speedo not working. It is a new battery and after a month of driving with the dash light on it went flat and more so when I use the lights at night! Any clues? Subaru leone 1986

Anti Lock Brakes Dash Warning Light, 2001 Chevy Malibu. [ 1 Answers ]

Need help with Anti Lock Brakes, ABS - 2001 Chevy Malibu... A dash warning light appeared about 3 days ago that something might be wrong with my anti lock brakes, I immediately pulled over, read about the warning in my own manual, it said turn the veh off, then restart it and if the light...

View more questions Search