Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennapbt Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Nov 15, 2005, 04:31 PM
    Dew Claw Removal
    I was just wondering if anyone had any good pictoral articles on exactly how to remove the dew claws on new born puppies. I've found a few but they only show before and after not exactly where and how to cut. Any help is appreciated.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2005, 04:57 AM
    I strongly recommend having a vet do it: there is a medium risk of infection and pain. The vet can administer an antibiotic and local anesthetic.

Also, if not done within 2-3 days, it becomes more of a surgical procedure.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2005, 05:12 AM
    Dew claws
    Hi,
    Here is a link:

http://hattrick-dals.home.att.net/Dewclaws.html

The first pictures are those of having the dew claws removed. This article also suggests having a Vet do it.
    Other articles also say that removing dew claws is strictly up each individual person. If it's the type of dog that will running through the forests, briars, or anywhere else they might get caught on later, then it's a good idea. But, not all owners have these removed.
    You might check out other sites.

Nov 16, 2005, 12:40 PM
    Yeah, I did call my vet and they said they didn't do it. So I'm going to have to find somewhere else. I just don't understand if its such a simple procedure why my vet doesn't do it.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2005, 01:07 PM
    I'm surprised too, but I can say this - that might take some mystery out of it:

In researching for the answer I did run into several people saying that it's not critical that they be removed at all.
    labby2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2005, 02:04 PM
    Do not attempt to do this without someone showing you!
    There is a main artery that is there if you aren't experienced I wouldn't attempt this.

Nov 21, 2005, 08:50 PM
    They are already done and doing very well, all healing good. The pups are 9 days old now they were done at 4 days I believe. I appreciate everyone's feedback. :D
    sikers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 07:14 PM
    Comment on fredg's post
    Superb, on target

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Scar removal [ 16 Answers ]

I have scars which I got by peeling my acne the scars are on ma biceps and my chest and face they are dark brownish scars can someone tell me a cream or a technique which is useful for getting rid of these ugly scars

Replacing old tub with claw foot tub on a slab [ 6 Answers ]

I'm thinking of replacing an old tub (american standard recessed tub) with a new claw foot tub. The only part I think I may have trouble with is connecting the drain. I don't think the drain line in the floor will be where it needs to be for the new tub. I am on a slab and wonder how they set...

Morter removal [ 1 Answers ]

How do you remove morter from fire place brick pavers .

Frost removal [ 1 Answers ]

I accidentally washed part of the sandy/frosting stuff off the globes from our overhead light fixtures. I was able to completely remove it from one of them but the other two are being more stubborn. What might I use to more easliy remove this stuff from the others?

Hampton bay fan removal [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I purchased a home with a newer model of Hampton bay fan. Of course it has no other identifer except it is white and bright brass with a light kit. It is a remote control model. The lights do not work. I want to replace the whole fan with a Hunter, except I can't for the life of me...

View more questions Search