Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    victoria_mitchell Posts: 242, Reputation: 32

Aug 20, 2007, 03:40 PM
    Looking for a photographer
    Hello.

I'm looking for a photographer. I live in the LA County and I'm interested in hiring a younger person even someone just starting, to take some couple portraits of me and my boyfriend. No nudity or anything weird will be involved, I just think a younger person would be more open to what we have to say and could work with us on a more personal than professional level...

If you know that someone or you are that someone or know a website please private message me with your/their name number/email... And any extra advice tips or questions are more than welcome
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 02:21 AM
    You might want to consider advertising for a photographer on craigslist.org, in or around where you live. Also, maybe there is someone looking for a job as a photographer that you might find by contacting a local employment service.
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 02:24 AM
    There also might be someone who is a budding photographer at a local college or university. You could see about advertising for one at the schools.
    wickedimp Posts: 57, Reputation: 14

Aug 21, 2007, 03:28 AM
    As Clough has already said : Approach your local (community) colleges (not sure what your equivalent is in the US), I'd imagine that you will easily find a photography student who is keen to assemble a portfolio for their project plus he/she should get free use of the studio darkroom at the establishment... win win for both of you.
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2007, 04:15 PM
    plus he/she should get free use of the studio darkroom at the establishment...
    Excellent insight as to the possibilities when using a student!
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2007, 04:17 PM
    victoria_mitchell agrees: Thanks so much I think I'll put an add on craigslist today
    Thank you! And, you are very welcome!
    victoria_mitchell Posts: 242, Reputation: 32

Aug 23, 2007, 04:22 PM
    Well maybe because you were very helpful you could help me with something else... What would I put the add under on craigslist?? I'm on it right now..
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2007, 04:50 PM
    I absolutely agree with the idea of a college student.

I have a friend who has had some great pics taken by a person she knows through a college. The guy needs the experience and is willing to spend time someone else may not.

Now... that might mean more shots that are not usable, but still... this person has taken a fantastic pic of my family, and has done several great ones, as mentioned, for my friend.

If you are unfamiliar with a college nearby you can always make a phone call first to the arts and sciences department... ask them to direct you to a prof in the art dept who works with photography. Profs are "back to school" now, with the fall session looming. A phone call to the prof is OK, but an email is also acceptable and might be a better choice.

I would simply state you are looking to give a student some personal work. Asking for referrals of junior or senior students isn't out of line. You can also try smaller or community colleges if the bigger ones don't respond. You never know, someone might think portrait photo is a little to pedestrian for their students...

As a former teacher at a university, I had a few people contact me about internships or job ops and I was always glad to try to hook someone up with a position that might be a good fit. Worked in sciences though.

On that note... even a HS student who is excelling might make a good match... again, a teacher at that level is more connected sometimes to the student and you never know, you might get someone who is showing promise and willing to practice on you.

Be willing to make a few calls or a few emails. If nobody wants to talk to you, what have you wasted?
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2007, 11:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by victoria_mitchell
    Well maybe because you were very helpful you could help me with something else... What would I put the add under on craigslist?? I'm on it right now..
    Hi, Victoria! I hope that it didn't seem like I ditched you. I didn't expect you to reply so quickly.

I am assuming that you found one of the craigslist.org's that is around where you live in California. There are quite a few there. You could put the same ads on multiple areas. I am going to go under the assumption that you might not have found all of the places in California where you could advertise.

Here is a link to find all of these places to advertise on craigslist.org. craigslist: california jobs, housing, for sale, personals, services, community, and events

Bakersfield
    Chico
    Fresno
    Gold country new
    Humboldt county
    Inland empire - riverside and san bernardino counties
    Los angeles
    Merced
    Modesto
    Monterey bay
    Orange county
    Palm springs
    Redding
    Reno / tahoe
    Sacramento
    San diego
    San francisco bay area
    San luis obispo
    Santa barbara
    Stockton
    Ventura county
    visalia-tulare new

If you don't mind, I'm going to pretend that you live in Los Angeles. You listed a county, but I don't know what town or city. I'm also going to suggest a possible wording for your ad. I have been successfully advertising on the Internet for free for about three years.

I would suggest placing the ads under the "jobs" section and then the following subsections of that heading:

Skilled trade / craft
    TV / film / video
    And
    [part time]

Your ad might be worded something like this:

Title: Photographer Wanted, Los Angeles, CA

Photographer needed for couples portrait photography in the L.A. California area. No nudity or obscenity. Ideal for a college or even a high school student who is studying photography and interested in getting into the photography business.
    Please contact, (Your contact information, your boyfriend's first name, phone number and email address.)

I think that it's safer for you to use your boyfriend's first name. If you are, please don't be afraid to put an email address in the ad. My email address is listed all over the Internet. I have had little if any problems because I have listed it. Of course some of the reason that I have probably had little problem, is because the spam filter on the server that I use is so strong. So, it's up to you as to whether you list it. Anyone listing a photography job these days is bound to potentially attract those that are into the weird stuff. Not so much like my piano tuning or other businesses that I have. People will be able to contact you via the way that craigslist.org does it anyway.

You could also vary the words and wording slightly so that you might be more likely to attract more people looking to do photography.

For instance, please notice that I titled the ad using the word "wanted." And, that I then used the word "needed" in the body of the ad. So, I've covered both those bases as far as people looking for a photographer wanted and also needed. I also use "Los Angeles" as well as "L.A." As well as CA and California. People will look for these jobs using various words and combinations of words in search engines.

Using keywords is very important to getting results on your ads as people use the search engines. Not everyone is just simply going to go to craigslist.org of Los Angeles and be looking for an ad for a photographer. A lot of people don't even know about craigslist.org. The majority of people are going to find your ad by looking for what you are advertising because they have been using a search engine.

Here are some keywords for you that should also be in your ad at the bottom of it in order for you to get the most "bites" on it. You would list the keywords exactly as I have below with the commas.

Photographer Los Angeles, photography Los Angeles, Los Angeles County photography jobs, jobs for college students in California, photography jobs in California, photographers in Los Angeles County, portrait photographer wanted, part-time photography job, learning photography, photography student, California photographers, California portrait photographers, portraiture photography, portrait photographers

Here are also some links for free classified sites in California. I'm not sure how well that they work because I live in Illinois, so I don't use them. But, they may be worth a try.

California Free Classifieds

California Classifieds: Free Classifieds in California

If you go to the following link, you will find many more free sites on which to advertise.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/music/...rs-103007.html

If you do decide to edit any of your ads that you might place on craigslist.org, it's a good idea to get rid of all of the <br>'s that will appear in the edit. Otherwise, they will show up in your ads.

I know that my answer has been somewhat of an overkill. But, I just love showing people how easy it is to advertise for free on the Internet!

I hope that you have a beautiful day! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sceptical about photographer. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, Well basically this question really needs a bit of background information. Here goes. I am currently a part time non professional model for a local modelling agency, I have got quite an impressive range of professional photographs done for my portfolio, including head shots, fashion...

View more questions Search