Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ThunderGulch Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2007, 03:20 AM
    Codeine Vs Oxycodone
    Which is stronger 5mg of Oxycodone or 60mg of Codeine and is it safe to take them together?
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2007, 04:50 AM
    Don't take them together. I don't know which would be stronger although 60mg of codeine is pretty strong. What is it for?

These are both perscription medicines so you should talk to your doctor if you are finding they are not working.

Aug 19, 2007, 06:23 AM
    I usually take Percocet (oxycodone) before long tattoo sesions to ease the pain. A friend of mine just got T4's from his doctor for the same reason. I have both just deciding what to take. And before any one says to suck it up and take the pain, go get 30+ hours of ink done then get back to me =)
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2007, 08:55 AM
    You'd probably be better taking lower doses of something less strong like paracodeine (500mg paraceamol, 18g codeine) more frequently so that you don't feel sick. That's just my own experience though, if I take 60 mg codeine I feel as sick as a dog and when I was reading about oycodone (which I have never taken) it said it causes nausea and dizziness. Not something I think you'll be wanting if you're getting a tattoo done. But you might have a higher tolerance than me, everyone's different after all.

Ibuprofen might be a good idea as it is an anti imflamatory as well as an analgesic which could be useful with tissue damage. You can get OTC ibuprofen and codeine combos now. Don't mix it with paracodeine though (worst idea I've had in a long time)

I can't decide which is stronger as codeine gets converted into morphine by enzymes in the liver (it is approximately a fourth of the strength.) Yet the oxycodone is a opiod agonist so doen't need converting at all but is at a much lower dose. If you go to a pharmacist they could probably advise you better. Random fact - some people don't have the appropriate enzymes to convert codeine so it has no effect at all.

Almost forgot to mention if you are on any other medications at all (even antihistamines) go check with a doctor or pharmacist first as there are loads of drugs which interact badly. You don't want to pass out half way through.

What are you getting done?

Aug 20, 2007, 03:04 AM
    Im having a full back piece done which wraps around my ribs a bit, a Cross and wings. What is the highest recommended dose with codeine? I have a high tolerance for drugs Im over 200lbs so I'll probley take 2 T4's which is 600mg acetaminophen and 120 mg codeine
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2007, 02:25 PM
    It's very hard to OD on codiene as your liver enzymes max out before you can convert it all to morphine (usually*). However if the tablets contain another drug such as paracetamol (acetaminophen) you can permanently damage your liver with these instead. Be careful about how much of these you take as your weight won't help with this.
    Read the packet and just don't take more than it says, especially considering your body will be under enough stress as it is already.

Here are the side effects of T4
    CODEINE/ACETAMINOPHEN - ORAL (Tylenol with Codeine) side effects, medical uses, and drug interactions.

Also you will feel really ill (really sick can't stress this enough) if you take too much codeine.

Have you considered meditation you could use it to disasociate from the pain.

*covering myself here, I'm not a doctor this is theory
    lawdoc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2009, 12:15 PM
    Oxycodone (also known as oxycontin) is MUCH stronger than codeine. Oxycodone is broken down in the body into oxymorphone, which is the MOST natural occurring analgesic there is. The only stronger pain reliever than oxymorphone (brand name Opana... recently reintroduced to the market after years of it being outlawed in the US due to its likelihood to cause addiction and overdose) is phentanyl... which is a man made opiate which is 3 to 4 times as strong as oxycodone, and at least twice as strong as oxymorphone. Phentanyl can only be obtained through time release patches, which one cannot defeat the time release (like so many people do with oxycontin by sucking the coating off), and it is only because of this delivery system that phentanyl has been allowed to remain on the market. (as an aside... there are also phentanyl lollipops that one can take orally by sucking on it, just like a lollipop, but these are for people who have pain associated with such serious conditions that overdose and addiction become pointless concerns (serious late stage cancer patients, etc.)
    kurtis27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2010, 08:52 PM
    Myself I take Codeine for pain because it's a (methylmorphine) a natural alkaloid found in the Opium Poppy, Oxycodone is Synthetic Opiod. As far is which one is more powerful, Dosage and YOU! Me personnely rather take something natural then whipped up in some lab.
    CtheRN Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2011, 12:11 PM
    Oxycodone is WAY stronger than codeine... if you've never taken Oxycodone before and are not "tolerant" to it, DON'T take the oxy. Most patients start at 5mg Oxy and then work up from there. The max my employer will RX is 30mg of Oxy... period. I hope you are having someone responsible drive you to and from you appointment for the ink because whichever meds you decide to take will cause impaired abilities. C-RN
    zephead65 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2011, 08:09 PM
    The question asked above "Which is stronger 5mg of Oxycodone or 60mg of Codeine and is it safe to take them together?" was never exactly answered! People mostly just created a new tread about getting tattoo's!? I do know that Dilaudid(Synthetic Heroin) has an 8 to 1 ratio to Morphine,. That is,. 1mg of Dilaudid is equal to 8mg of Morphine. 80mg of Oxycodone is stronger and longer lasting than Morphine. Oxycodone is also close to Heroin, with the exception being,. Oxycodone doesn't make you drowsy compared to Morphine or Heroin. And I do know this, Codeine is on the bottom end of the painkiller spectrum and Oxycodone is on the top end. Kind of like comparing Beer to 150% Proof Rum,! And as for Percocets I've always compared them to about 3-4 Tylenol 3's!! So by that guesstimate,. 5mg of Oxycodone is stronger than 60mg of Codeine (Or 2 Tylenol 3's) But that's just my opinion and as a few people have stated , everybody has different tolerances, weakness, or possible allergies to consider.!
    4orty2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2012, 02:42 AM
    Codeine is cool, I prefer the syrup in some sprite, but that's just to add to the high I get from the 300mg of oxycodone I take on a daily basis. Its really unfortunate that prescription pills cause so much agony (drained bank accounts, withdrawals etc.) its such a good feeling. It would be really nice if the usa would figure it out like some european countrys, and just start giving opiate addicts the drugs that they want, because in the countries that they started doing that in they have seen MASSIVE decreases in the felonies and other crimes that relate to people trying to get money for their fix. Drug dealers that literally only sell to get their own for a better price, women who have turned to prostitution to support a habit, people who rob pharmacies for pills, people who rob or mug other people to get money to get pills, and pretty much all the other illegal activities that people do to get money to get high have all but stopped in the places where they have opened heroine clinics. Its all "lab quality" and controlled by the states, they supply clean needles and cookers, which has stopped the spread of HIV and hepatitis, they supply a place for people to do their shots, so they aren't going to jail for possession, and the people are under the supervision of a doctor when they do it so there is no deaths from overdoses. Not to mention, they give it out for free! Its impossible to stop people from doing drugs. It's that simple. So the government might as well do the next best thing, and stop all the negative effects on communities and families. I just wish american politicians would be progressive enough to even consider these types of things, because the outcome would be amazing. Less people flooding the jails for drug related offenses. Fewer people ing up their families finances and kids lives, fewer drug dealers making money off the poorest people in the country, fewer diseases being spread by drug users, and fewer mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters and children dying from overdoses in dope houses. I can't see one problem with this type of system. Can you guys?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Oxycodone in drug testing [ 9 Answers ]

How long does it stay in your urine for drug tests?

Codeine in oxycodone? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm allergic to codeine, and have the pain killer oxycodone. Is there codeine in oxycodone?

Oxycotin/Oxycodone side affects [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if these medications (for cancer pain) could cause the throat to close up, (or give the sensation of closing up)?

View more questions Search