Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tkrueger07 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2007, 08:11 AM
    1996 Civic Ex Bogs Down and Misfires when I accelerate.
    My 1996 Civic Ex bogs down and misfires while accelerating. When it misfires, I lose all power to the engine and the car jerks really hard. I have no idea what is wrong. I ran some fuel injection cleaner with my tank of gas (about 1/2 full still) and alas, no headway (even worse actually). Please help!
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 19, 2007, 09:07 AM
    Most likely a weak coil. I'd recommend an ignition coil and ignition condenser.
    Even though you find spark at the plug end of each wire, a weak coil cannot fire through the air/fuel mixture. You may want to replace plugs ,cap, rotor and wires if they haven't been done lately.

Aug 19, 2007, 09:25 AM
    I just replace the distributor, cap, rotor, and plugs. I'm going to try and see about the wires now, but Idk. Someone said it might be the fuel injectors, since my car has been sitting for about 3 months with no start. Ran some fuel injector cleaner through my tank (still about 1/2 left) and nothinng changed.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 19, 2007, 09:48 AM
    When you say "distributor" did that include a new coil and condenser?

You should also consider having the fuel pressure and fuel flow (volume) tested.
    Safety is paramount. This should be done by a professional due to the high pressures and flammabliity concerns.

If an injector is stuck, it may require multiple cleanings to free it up, and a stuck injector may require replacement.

Anything you put into the tank isn't going to be significantly effective for cleaning anything but your wallet. If additives were strong enough to properly clean the injectors, they would be too harsh for the compoonents in the fuel system, particularly internal tank components that are either plastic or polymers. That's why when an injection service is done proffesionaly, the fuel system is disabled and the cleaner is run through by itself.

Please read about my experience in my profile, should you feel so inclined.

Toyo Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Aug 19, 2007, 11:07 AM
    I say it's the ignition coil. After you installed new plugs, wires, rotor and cap you are putting a lot of fresh power through that ignition system.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2007, 12:18 PM
    . Replace the Ignition Control Module inside the distributor. Here's what it looks like and costs:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...pe=194&PTSet=A

. Replace the coil.

Here's how to do the work yourself:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

Aug 19, 2007, 01:25 PM
    OK. The mechanic replaced the whole distributor itself. Starting from the head to the spark wires. So everything is brand new. Like I said, couldn't it be the fuel injectors? And about how much is a complete and professional clean going to cost me? Also, the car has been sitting for about three months, so the gas could be very well old also (maybe complicating a diry injector further). Oh I just replaced the fuel filter also. I'm getting no headway and a large dent in my wallet... I don't know what else to do.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2007, 01:36 PM
    . Check for codes--if an injector is bad, it should throw a code.
    . Pump out old fuel--with a fire extinguisher handy, disconnect the fuel line, attach a piece of neoprene tubing with a clamp, turn ignition to Position II, pump the fuel tank into a 5-gallon gas can, and refill with fresh gas. Alternatively, just siphon the gas out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

95 civic misfires [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 95 civic that at first hesitated to start. Then I noticed that when I started to accelerate after shifting gears it would hesitate or jolt. It then started jolting and sometimes not accelerating while trying to accelerate and driving at a steady speed. I thought it might have to do with...

1996 Honda Civic LX Uses Oil [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1996 Honda civic that runs great, but uses about a quart every 500 miles. Does anybody know if this will affect emissions when it is time to do them again? Has anybody had a problem like this? Thank you.

View more questions Search