Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimcdee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2007, 01:23 PM
    How to correctly bid on interior and exterior house painting jobs
    Hi, I am looking for help on how to correctly bid on painting jobs. Maybe a formula that is more accurate then the one I use and don't feel confident with. Thanks for any help,J.C.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2007, 02:17 PM
    I would be interested in what the formula is that you have been using and why you don't feel confident with it.

The usual method employed by painters is to charge by the square foot and not by the hour or just some sort of flat figure. Other factors that would figure into the cost would be the paint, surface preparation and any repairs that might have to be made before painting can be started. Estimating by the square foot gives the most honest and qualifying bid to a customer as to why they are paying what they are.

You might like to check out the answers to questions on the following links that have been similar to yours.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/home-b...ng-108493.html

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/home-b...ng-114533.html

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/home-b...es-107000.html

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/home-b...light=painting

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/interi...id-103789.html
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2007, 02:18 PM
    If you would like any information about how to advertise for free or very little cost, then please just ask. I can help you with that also.
    jimcdee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2007, 03:35 PM
    Thanks for your reply, I guess I am interested in the Dollar amount per sq. ft. in my area. And does that include materials. Because I want to be fair.Thats were I am afaid of losing money.I live in the north east and cost of everything is very high here. Thanks again, Jimcdee
    Bkegg Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Aug 19, 2007, 01:08 AM
    That's simple it's all about your competition. I started a business dealing with low voltage and computer networking recently stopped too many hours and was tired of people calling me every time their internet went down... I only network the computers people I DO NOT provide the service for Christ sakes... hehhe anyway

As I was saying what I did before starting I call some of my main competition acting like I was interested in their services. Asked them for a quote and told them I would return their call if I didn't find a better deal. So if I was you I would drag out the big phone book them you need a 60 square foot wall inside your house painted... They give you a price then let them know you are also interested in getting this 80 square foot exterior wall sand blasted (or whatever) and repainted. Then bingo you have your quotes and your ready to go into business after a few more phone calls. This shouldn't take more than an hour or two on the phone BTW.

Not sure how business ethical this may be but hey since when have ethics been economical.
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2007, 01:19 AM
    Actually, I don't think that there is anything unethical about it, as long as you are being honest. When you call the competition, there is no need to pretend anything. Just ask them what they would charge per square foot given certain conditions. I.e. how many feet, there are no imperfections, etc.
    Johnnygo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2009, 06:23 AM
    In our area, The painters charge .75 - $150 sq. foot. Time and material. Amount of prep makes a big difference. Many times I considered the exterior one solid building w.no openings unless there were allot of large openings. I am retired after 45 years painting and drywall finishing. Union and none union. I help home owners tackle their own jobs free of charge. Real small jobs, I charged widows nothing for my labor. Good policy to bring in jobs. The word gets around. Make sure you take very good care of the existing landscape and be neat. Good apperence means allot to the home owner. You look neat your work will be the same. Remember, your rep. means more to you than the money. John in Payson, AZ
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2009, 02:17 AM
    Old thread that has now been sufficiently answered. Original poster hasn't returned in a very long time. Thread has also been archived for a long time.

Thread is now CLOSED.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Exterior painting - 100 year old house [ 10 Answers ]

I am about to take on a huge project - alone. I bought the paint and need desperately to get the exterior of my house painted. About three or four years ago, my boyfriend hired someone with a sprayer to do this. Since then, the paint has been literally peeling off all the way down to the raw wood....

How to bid on painting jobs [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am new here, and would like some information on how to bid on a painting job, as well as how to acquire job leads. If you would like you can e-mail me @ [email protected]. Thank you for your time.

Interior Architecure jobs [ 1 Answers ]

Any body in Ireland know of an job vacancies within an architectural firm? And yes I do realise I spelt Architecture wrong above...

Interior Painting Bid [ 4 Answers ]

I am going to paint the interior of 3 apartments and I want to know how much to bid a 1 bedroom apartment 644square feet? I want to know how much to bid a 2 bedroom apartment 844 square feet? I want to know how much to bid a 3 bedroom apartment 960 square feet? Thanks

View more questions Search