Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spike! Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2006, 02:37 PM
    Kitten eye infections - help!
    My 9 week old kitten has developed an eye infection in his left eye , which emits a yellowish snot stuff- is there a way to treat this from home possibly without having to go to a vet and pay with money I don't have? Any and all help would be more than appreciated - thank you!!
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 7, 2006, 03:21 PM
    Way too many variables to tell from here Spike. Like was said on another thread, if you don't have the money to care for a pet then maybe you should reconsider your decision? Vet bills should be considered a routine part of the joys of being a cat owner.

If you can't get the kitty proper treatment, at least give it to an animal shelter who will. Sorry but that's my take on it.
    Saluki-Sue Posts: 21, Reputation: 5

Jun 7, 2006, 07:30 PM
    Maybe your local shelter or humain socity can give you a vet voucher or have a clinic you can take your kitten to. Because really the best way to treat any infection is to know what type it is first or you can make it worse by treating it in the wrong way or with the wrong med.

I know my vet lets me set up a payment plan when the bill is going to be really big or more than I have on that day. Sometimes you just can tell how big or small a the bill will be.

Good luck hope everything works out OK
    sugars_hot15 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jun 15, 2006, 04:39 PM
    You can try putting a used tea bag on it like you would a human if they had an eye infection it helps draw the infection out.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 15, 2006, 04:51 PM
    The word INFECTION means that it need antibiotics. Virus goes away on its own. The way to tell infection is color, yellow-greenish pus. Get the kitty to a vet or listen to what Val said, reconsider if you cannot afford a vet.

Animals are just like babies. You have to give them the time and attention they need to thrive.
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jun 16, 2006, 09:59 AM
    Got the spread it message J, but I second what you have stated
    beth3173 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2007, 06:16 PM
    My 9 week old kitten has developed an eye infection in his both eyes , which emits a yellowish puss like stuff and his eyes stay shut with gunk- is there a way to treat this from home possibly without having to go to a vet? Any and all help would be more than appreciated.
    squirrelgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 3

May 29, 2007, 10:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow
    Way too many variables to tell from here Spike. Like was said on another thread, if you don't have the money to care for a pet then maybe you should reconsider your decision? Vet bills should be considered a routine part of the joys of being a cat owner.

If you can't get the kitty proper treatment, at least give it to an animal shelter who will. Sorry but that's my take on it.
    ONLY shortsighted RICH suburban people say crap like that! I don't understand why some are so quick to condemn those who are poor. It is like all the affluent saying we ought to boycott Wal-Mart because it is destroying local businesses. I believe that everyone is entitled to new things, and pets if they are loving people. 1st the vet is a new invention in human-pet history, therefore we can expect there to be a large body of home remedies. 2nd antibiotics shouldn't be prescribed by you people (even savvy nurse-wantabes), it is not only necessarily prescription antibiotics that can solve this kitten's problem. SOAP and SALT WATER are NOT prescription antibiotics, but they still kill bacteria! (and no please don't put soap or salt into the kittens eyes)

Consider a trip to a developing nation for some perspective. I can't believe that you consider it normal to treat your property with more care than a majority of the world's children. And still won't donate the same considerable amount of money to those causes.

Consider a trip to your local factory farm that provides the meat that keeps you fat. Animals of intelligence are confined in small crates for most of their lives. Imagine a cage around your toilet where you can sit or stand, oh but don't worry, in some number of months you'll be moved or killed.

And for the record I found this website because my town (a city of 200,000) only has a rather lethal animal control, no Humane Society. I had a litter of kittens born under my deck. My dog loves kittens -no gravy needed. So we took the kittens in and set them up nicely in the garage. I do not have extra money to spend on vet bills (dogs arthritis med and special food take care of that nicely). But anyway, we are trying to get these kittens to an age where we can farm them out and then get the mother cat spayed. Stop judging people and contribute meaningful help.

I apologize for the rant but the attitude in some of the posts on this topic was too much.
    Mollybeans Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 08:12 PM
    Comment on valinors_sorrow's post
    Insensitive and not realistic
    Mollybeans Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 08:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spike!
    My 9 week old kitten has developed an eye infection in his left eye , which emits a yellowish snot stuff- is there a way to treat this from home possibly without having to go to a vet and pay with money i dont have? Any and all help would be more than appreciated - thank you!!!!!!!!
    One thing you can do at home that helps is to hold a warm rag up to the eye and make sure it stays open and not gunky. If you do this make sure not to contaminate the other eye. If it is "pinkeye"that will only spread it. On another note: Do not let these people who are telling you if you cannot afford to go to a vet you should give your kitten to a shelter. How is that better for them? A cage in a no kill shelter vs. a warm and loving ( if not somewhat poor home) ?
    If people waited until they could afford things no one would have children much less pets. I am a waitress who adopted 2 3.5 week old kittens that I have been bottle feeding. The woman I adopted them from did not ask me for a credit application. She knew that I would care for them and give them the best home I could. A good example is that one of the kittens was constipated. Did I run to the vet? No, I cannot afford it I gave him water and he is fine. I am not saying that if your pet is sick you shouldn't take it to the vet. I am saying that some of us do not have disposable income to run to the vet at every slight symptom. I know you would never risk a kittens long term health you are just looking for a natural remedy to save yourself the 100.00 vet bill. Good luck with your kittten!!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2007, 06:17 AM
    true there are some people that are straped for cash... but x-box's , t.v. stereo's, jewelry are not necessary items to live by... they can be hocked and replaced, a little kittens life can not. I always say if there a will there a way. You can try as follow's... take the kitten to the vet explain to the tech.. They may not charge you an office visit, maybe only for the meds. Some vets will help you out, also you could wait and see if his body kick's in and heals itself (we do have that ability) but I don't know if a small kitten has. Maybe if you know someone that has had pink eye they may have some eye medicine left over, or some anti biotics I have known people to try these methods in desperate situations.(you'd better be careful , may kill it). I would say either the vet or a No kill Shelter is your best bet. No kill shelters will sometimes help you out because they have one concern and that is to keep animals alive and out of shelters. GIve these people a try if the vet idea doesn't work out. Also they may help you with spay/neuter and a shot clinic. :) peace and Good luck p.s. I am the queen of home remedies but I would not try them on a tiny kitten
    Chicklet Posts: 35, Reputation: 10

Jun 8, 2007, 06:23 AM
    Polysporin drops, (I probably misspelled that ,
    You can get it at any drugstore,
    It is inexpensive (under $10.00 if I remember correctly)

I have treated many many animals with eye troubles using that with great success,
    Have never had a case where it hurt trying it,

You can give it a shot, bet it'll help!

Last time I used that was on a flock of chickens that had severe eye infections, the puss rolled from the eyes, they were sticky and severely swollen, 3 day treatment cleared up all except one, That chicken I ended up killing because I believe it was the carrier,
    It also transferred into one of my goats eye, and a couple kittens I had at the time, Polysporin worked for all of them.

Having a large farm of many animal varieties you always looked for ways around running to the vets if possible.
    Very rarely did I have a case where a vet had to be called in,

Ultimately its your call what you do,

She's asking for help People
    Not a Damn Lecture!
    ----
    Concerning comment below, Bare in mind, Animals are not humans, Some cases I have had took up to 5 days to fully heal, Depends on the severity of each case. And good commen sense :)
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Hi I got online and did some searching I found a med called BNP triple antibiotic ointiment for animals it is an over the counter medication and is rather inexpensive around 10.00 also I found a of websites that gives info on "pinkeye" or conjunctivitis. Website is thepetcenter.com :)
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2007, 06:16 PM
    OK, I have been reading more on pinkeye, vets say that pinkeye can by caused by a virus or by bacteria. Virus can not be treated , but the cat can be given relief with eye drops. If it is a bacteria this can be a sign of something more serious, and the pinkeye is just one of the symptoms, this can only be determined by test that has to be performed by the vet. :)
    WeCureYou Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2007, 05:20 PM
    A pharmacist suggested we use a Q-tip dipped in warm water that was made into a medium-strength tea with a teabag. This worked wonders! Apparently the tanins in the tea break down the proteins in the discharge. We also noticed that this treatment encouraged the discharge to drain out of the eye. Regular cleanings (every few hours) seem to do the trick.
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2007, 06:57 PM
    How old was your kitten, that you used this on? Did it have fleas as well?
    Yellowchert Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Aug 13, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Wow this a kitten help forum not a about money thread. People look up these forum for actually information not some random's nobodies opinion about how money should be spent. And don't start about free speech and opinions blah blah this isn't the functin of THIS THREAD. Learn to read people WE'RE LOOKING FOR KITTEN EYE HELP!!
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Aug 13, 2007, 05:15 PM
    If the eye is sealed or has a hard coating matted in the fur you can use plain vaseline to open it and soften the goo.Warm rags work well,but don't use your good washcloths.
    novascotiaqt Posts: 6, Reputation: 3

Aug 13, 2007, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spike!
    My 9 week old kitten has developed an eye infection in his left eye , which emits a yellowish snot stuff- is there a way to treat this from home possibly without having to go to a vet and pay with money i dont have? Any and all help would be more than appreciated - thank you!!!!!!!!
    Ok here's what you can do and it usually works for people who are in the same situation with their kitten. Kittens usually get eye infections if they haven't had their needles yet but anyhow, wash their eye(s) with a warm cloth, a clean one each time and put polysporin eye drops in them. It usually clears it up. Good luck!
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2007, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelgirl
    ONLY shortsighted RICH suburban people say crap like that! I don't understand why some are so quick to condemn those who are poor. It is like all the affluent saying we ought to boycott Wal-Mart because it is destroying local businesses. I believe that everyone is entitled to new things, and pets if they are loving people. 1st the vet is a new invention in human-pet history, therefore we can expect there to be a large body of home remedies.
    Yes, the vet is fairly new in history. But for most of history, the solution to a sick animal was "it gets better on its own, or it dies". If it was seriously ill, the owner might kill it rather than have it suffer.

People deserve nice things, yes, but they also need to be realistic. There are costs associated with everything, and if you can't afford those costs, it's best to hold off on getting whatever it is until you can afford it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Frequent infections [ 9 Answers ]

Hello. I am a very worried mom. My son, who is 19 years old was diagnosed with mononucleosis almost 1 year ago. It seems since then, he catches everything that is going around. Presently he is sick with an oral thrush, has had a fever the last few days, although that has now cleared up, and a...

Frequent infections and flus [ 7 Answers ]

I get a LOT of colds, flus, and various infections... typically 1-2 a month, and they tend to hang on for a long time. I've also had pneumonia several times. I take all the necessary precautions... dress warmly, exercise, vitamins, wash my hands, flu and pneumonia vaccine, etc... but I still get...

Useful aspects of virus infections [ 2 Answers ]

Without succes I have searched the internet for studies about useful aspects of virus infections like a lower cancer risk for people who have had some childhood illnesses (chicken pox etc.). Every hint is welcome.

Useful aspects of virus infections [ 2 Answers ]

Without succes I have searched the internet for studies about useful aspects of virus infections like a lower cancer risk for people who have had some childhood illnesses (chicken pox etc.). Every hint is welcome.

View more questions Search