Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nervous Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2007, 06:27 AM
    Stove gas supply line sizing
    I am ready to install the last leg of gas line that will supply a 30" free standing gas range. The supply to this leg so far is 3/4" black iron. It seems to me that, given what's readily available, the most efficient valve and flex connection line combo are both 1/2". Since I have not yet found a 3/4" to 1/2" gas valve I have the option of using a 3/4" to 1/2" 90* elbow in the final upward (through the floor into the kitchen behind the stove) supply leg making the final connections easy and with minimal adaptors or joints. My question is this: Would there be any issues in doing the reduction to a 1/2" supply in this final section? The flow through should remain adequate for the needs of the stove? Or is it better to keep everything 3/4" right through the valve and use reducers to make the final 1/2" connections. Just looking for a few pros/cons, or what the norm is before I finish.

Thanks to all.

Herb
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 11, 2007, 09:34 AM
    I would run 3/4" up to the stove. Good luck, Tom
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 10:09 AM
    You can buy a 3/4 inch flex line, it may not have the right fittings on the end that you need so tell the clerk that you need a fitting that is 3/4 inch flare but will screw into a 3/4 inch iron pipe fitting.
    Or you could use a 7/8 flex line and it will have the 3/4 inch iron pipe fittings on it. Make sure that if you are screwing it into something you need a male end, if you are screwing something into it you need a female end. I hope this helps.
    beenaroundtheblock Posts: 37, Reputation: 7

Aug 11, 2007, 10:31 AM
    I do not think you will have a problem going to a 1/2 inch now you shouldn't need that much gas unless your using all burners and oven at the same time even then you wouldn't notice.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 08:33 PM
    If you use a smaller flex line than you need and you have the oven and perhaps one of the burners you will hear a whistling noise, it will be the gas whistling through the flex connector. If you don't believe me when you go to buy one pick up one of the 3/8 inch ones and blow through it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sizing pipe for natural gas and fan runs continuously [ 2 Answers ]

Folks, I've got a couple of question concerning a Goodman Furnace GPG13: 1. This furnace is rated at 138,000 BTU. My gas meter is a 2 pound system. The furnace is about 20 feet away from the meter. Currently I've got 1/2" pipe connected to it. Is this right? Or should I use 3/4" pipe? How do...

Gas line rough in placement for stove [ 2 Answers ]

This may not be a plumbing questrion so feel free to re-direct me in necessary. I am in the early stages of a kitchen remodel and need to plan the placement of the gas range gas line. I cannot find any rough in info to where this should be. Is there a standard, guide or rule of thumb for where...

View more questions Search