Ask
    kansasquestion Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Who can eat pepper seeds
    Can the seeds in red peppers be eaten
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 11, 2007, 09:51 AM
    Red bell peppers? What kind of red pepper? I grow many kinds of peppers, hot and mild, and my husband eats them right off the vine, seeds and all.

Now, I will tell you that the seeds are what provides the heat in hot peppers, if you are looking for flavor and not as much heat, deseed the peppers and use the skins for flavor.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 10:25 PM
    Yes, as with most seeds , they will not hurt you physically , usually. I'm sure some seeds could be harmful, but I've eaten many peppers and did not have any bad results.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2007, 12:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kansasquestion
    can the seeds in red peppers be eaten
    I agree with J-9 and mowerman, it is a matter of taste and tolerance.

Some people (mostly those used to Asian/mexican foods) find it easy to tolerate hot pepper with seeds.

Here's some more info on peppers if you are interested!:)

----------------------------
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the...of-peppers.htm

Peppers can be split into two groups, sweet peppers and hot peppers. The second group may also be referred to as chiles or chili peppers. Peppers are a New World food, first noted by Europeans during Columbus' voyage to the West Indies. Peppers were also found in abundance across South America, Central America, and Mexico.

Of the sweet peppers, the bell pepper is most easily recognized. These may be green or red, and newer variants can be yellow or multi-colored. Pimento peppers are familiar to people as a stuffing for green olives. They can also be found in a pickled form. Banana and Cubanelle sweet peppers are somewhat less familiar to those in the US, though they grow well in the South and in the southern parts of California.

Hot peppers are generally classed by their degree of heat. In 1912, Wilbur Scoville created a rating system for the heat of peppers. Sweet peppers rate zero on the Scoville Heat Unit scale, while most hot peppers rate in the thousands and top out at about 60,000 Scoville Heat Units (SHU). Some are only slightly hot, while others are considered “5 alarm” peppers. Peppers grow well, because they have no predators except humans. Other animals and insects simply do not care for them.

Mildly hot peppers include the Anaheim or Paprika pepper, with about 1,000 to 8,000 Scoville Heat Units. Also considered mild are Poblano peppers, with a 5,000 or less SHU rating. Both Anaheim and Poblano peppers are excellent in mild salsas. Another good choice is the Hot Cherry variety, which resembles a tomato more than the oblong shape associated with most hot peppers. Removing the seeds can reduce some of the heat, but much of the spicyness is in the white membrane that attaches the seeds to the inside of the pepper.

Santa Fe Grandes can be mild to hot, depending upon whether the seeds are used. Their SHU rating varies from 5,000-60,000. Serranos exhibit the same range. Jalapeños have a similar rating, and fall in the medium heat class.

The hottest peppers are Asian peppers and Habaneros. If one doesn't like heat, these are a waste of time, as they are very hot and should be used sparingly. When peppers were first imported to Europe, they also were imported to Asia, where they became a popular addition to dishes.

In Chinese restaurants, it is quite common to find a number of dishes spiced with whole Asian peppers. Entrées such as Mongolian Beef and Kung Pao Chicken can pack quite a punch if one accidentally eats a whole Asian pepper. Believe the menu when it claims a dish to be spicy, and beware the tiny Asian pepper.

In generally, the smaller the pepper, the more likely it is to be hot. Ornamental varieties tend to have high Scoville Heat Unit ratings. Poblanos are a good deal larger than their very hot cousins. They are frequently stuffed and served, as in Chile Rellenos.

All peppers are thought to have health benefits. They are high in Vitamins C and A and are considered to have antioxidant properties. Care should be taken when handling and cutting hot peppers, and wearing gloves is highly recommended. If one doesn't wash the hands thoroughly after handling hot peppers, touching the eyes or face can lead to extreme skin and eye irritation.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    d71okz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2012, 08:38 AM
    Thanks for the help!! I have been adding Chili peppers (poblano and some Habanero into my diet. I have been taking out the seeds. While at Puerto Villarta last night, I noticed that they left them in. Hence the question
    Ogre1972 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2012, 11:32 PM
    There's nothing intrinsically harmful about pepper seeds. Removing them is done for one of two reasons, the first is for a more pleasant texture as some people find the chewy little seeds unpleasant, and the second is that in hotter peppers the capsicum (hot stuff) is more concentrated in the seeds and ribs. I take the seeds out of fresh peppers for reason one, but often dry hot pepper seeds and add them to spicy dishes for reason two.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Planting Sunflower seeds [ 4 Answers ]

My Daughter wants to grow Sunflowers. We have the planting seed mixture. I understand the instructions to a certain point - everything except this part: It says to plant seeds 6 inches apart. Then it says to thin seedlings to stand 12 to 18 inches apart when they are 3 inches high... ...

Are Pepper Seeds Poisonous? [ 10 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if pepper (as in the red / green / yellow / orange variety) seeds are poisonous? I've been told it by a couple of people but I'm not sure whether to believe them or not!

Where can I buy herb seeds? [ 3 Answers ]

Obviously, the medicinal use herbs. I would like to grow my own and do some little experiments. The Chinese stores do not carry seeds.

Bad seeds of mankind. [ 12 Answers ]

Its time we get our act together and start executing children that committee crimes,no child or woman or man should be above the law a child who kills needs to be killed come on my fellow man its time to wake up and destroy the bad seeds of mankind.

Germinating grass seeds [ 1 Answers ]

What is the most effective way to germinate grass seeds? It is for my art project and I've seen it being done with cotton wool but were do I start?

View more questions Search