Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deanbert74 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Aug 8, 2007, 05:47 AM
    Loud constant noise coming from water pipes
    Last night I began hearing this loud earpiercing vibrating sound coming from my water pipes. It is loudest in the basement and up into both bathrooms on the main and upper levels of the house. Then noise is constant until a toilet is flushed and it suddenly disappears only to return when the toilet is full. HELP!! This noise is driving me crazy!:confused:
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Change the fill valves in all toilets. I suggest the fluidmaster 400
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 11, 2007, 09:31 AM
    Check the tank water level, it should be at the mark in the tank or 3/8 to 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. Now look at the flapper, If it has wavey edges on the flat surface, replace it. The linkage between the flapper and the flush lever should have 1/4" play when the tank is filled. Also, check the small tube coming out of the top of the bakkcock and make sure it's connect to and draining into the white overflow tube. If the leak is at the base of the tank there are two brass bolts on both sides of the flapper, if the tank is loose, leaking or wobbly, snug up the bolts. If there is dampness at the base of the bowl, pop off the china caps and snug down the closet bolts. I would check all this out before paying 50$ for a service call and 50$ a hour thereafter. More questions? I'm as close as a click. TOM
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by deanbert74
    Last night I began hearing this loud earpiercing vibrating sound coming from my water pipes. It is loudest in the basement and up into both bathrooms on the main and upper levels of the house. Then noise is constant until a toilet is flushed and it suddenly disappears only to return when the toilet is full. HELP!!! This noise is driving me crazy!:confused:
    Is the noise you hear a constant noise or does it only happen once in a while? If, perhaps it does this at 2 AM every morning, if it does you might check out the Water softener if you have one. If it happens at different times of the day and night try to associate it with the time that some one has flushed a commode or maybe the washing machine is running also it could be connected to the dishwasher or anything that uses water.
    Let us know what you find.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Noise in pipes and refrigerator noise with water chugging out of drink mechanism [ 4 Answers ]

Originally, we heard a noise from the refrigerator once in a while, changed the filter which lessened the noise. Now we hear a chugging in the pipes in our bedroom ceiling, kitchen ceiling and in both bath rooms. It occurs occasionally. One night we shut off the hot water heater and it was...

Rheem Criterion Furnace fan keeps coming on and off constantly with loud noise [ 14 Answers ]

Rheem Criterion Furnace fan keeps coming on and off constantly with a loud noise. Can someone please help me? Paul::confused:

Loud Banging noise from pipes [ 4 Answers ]

I bought a basement condo a year ago and my neighbors heat pipes goes through my bedroom. Since the day I moved in his furnace has been making clicking and loud banging noises. Last year, we have had a couple of plumbers come in and they have bled the pipes and said that should take care of it....

Loud Noise From Shower Pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, when I turned on my shower this morning it made a very loud noise from the pipes that vibrated everything & was very loud. It almost sounded like a motor it was so loud. It doesn't happen when I'm running water out of the bottom faucet, but when I pull the mixer button up for the water to...

Constant 'rushing water' noise in pipes! [ 2 Answers ]

Help! Over the last month, we have had a constant rushing water noise in our pipes, both upstairs in the toilet and downstairs at the kitchen sink (both appliances on the mains). We thought the water board had changed their pressures but they haven't. We noticed that out neightbours drive way...

View more questions Search