Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richardlbj Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Cooling: blower runs but compressor does not start
    I have a heat pump outside and a blower in the attic. Both made by YORK. My system stopped cooling a week ago. The blower keeps running but the heat pump does not start.

I checked the circuit breaker in the basement and the power disconnect next to the outdoor unit. Both are good.

I studied the manual it says on cooling calls, the system makes a R to O to reverse the heat pump, a R to Y to energize the contacts which starts compressor and fan, a R to G to start the blower. I removed the cover from the control panel of the heat pump. There were no visible loose wires. I tried a power detector like a screw driver and it detected power on incoming contacts. I watched when the blower started, a small metal plate on the contacts block closed. Then there was a noise that lasted about a second. Both the compressor and fan did not start. The noise repeated about every minutes.

Currently I have the system in "OFF".

What should I do from here?

Thanks, RB
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 01:47 PM
    You have power coming into the contacts, but will the contacts pull in? If not and I'd asmune they aren't, with unit on and thermostat calling for cool do you have 24 volts on the coil side of contact. That will be where a small wire will connect on each side. If you carefully pust in on contacts and the unit will run, more than likely the coil is bad and will need to replace complete contactor. Look for a broken wire from air handler to the outside unit. It will be 2 thermostat wires in a brown sheave.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Check the capacitor.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 08:18 PM
    Agree with NorthernHeat the new duel capacitors are one of the biggest problems going, look at the capacitor and see if the top is ballooned where the wires attach, sure sign that it is bad, but they can also be bad with out this . If the capacitor goes bad some times nothing will work even though you have power, Good luck. Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower will not turn on on cooling but will work on heat? [ 6 Answers ]

My central a/c system inside blower will not turn on during cooling it will turn on during heat. Everything else on the system works. My system is over 13 years old.

Central A/C outside runs but compressor kicks on and off [ 2 Answers ]

Just cleaned the complete system, at furnace and outside. Had unit serviced (Sears Kenmore) for low freon, now when I turn on A/C the fan outside runs OK but the compressor kicks on then off after 10 seconds. This is the first time I ran the unit since it was serviced by a technician. Could this...

AC Compressor turns on, no furnace blower with new thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

I have a simple 4 wire, 1 stage cooling, 1 stage gas heat system. Over the winter I replaced my Honeywell CT3200 programmable thermostat with a Totaline Wireless Thermostat System. The receiver is model P474-1100REC. The sender is model P474-1100RF. The thermostat worked great through the...

A/C unit won't come on, compressor OR blower [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am new to this site, so I am not sure how this works. I woke up early this morning because I was hot, only to find out that my upstairs HVAC unit was not blowing air. I went into the attic, and the compressor is not working, so I went outside, and the blower isn't working either. I was...

View more questions Search