Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shay07 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2007, 05:50 PM
    Licking pup
    My puppy is a litte over a year old. It's a yorkshire terrior and he licks the floors and the doors.. and also he bites on the doors... does anyone no why?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 07:58 PM
    I think there could be two reasons one is that something is lacking in the pups diet, Second the pup need a favorite toy to play with.

We have a Dog expert on here and when he sees you post he will give you a correct answer. Mine were just what I have been told by others.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 05:34 AM
    labman isn't around for another day or so, I believe. Not sure when he will return. Shay, it could be any number of reasons your dog is doing this. Might be an imbalance of minerals/vitamins in his diet, as letmetellu suggests, or it might be allergies. If you purchased your dog from a pet store, puppy mill or backyard breeder, we can't rule out the possibility that your dog might have a genetic disorder. He could be suffering from a compulsion to do the things he is doing. Or, since he is chewing on walls, it is more than likely that he is not being exercised and challenged/mentally stimulated enough. He may require more exercise and redirection of the negative behavior.

If you believe that he is getting plenty of exercise and play time, then you should take your dog into the vet for checkup/exam, including bloodwork. You need to have the vet rule out any physical problems. If all is well, then we can only conclude that he is not getting enough exercise and play time, and you need to start redirecting his behavior. As soon as he starts doing the negative stuff, you have to get his attention either with a toy as letmetellu suggests, or with a game that he like to play. Take him out for a good long walk. Set up play time with another dog that he likes to romp with. Tire him out. Let us know how he is doing.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2007, 05:23 PM
    If you are feeding a commercial dog chow and little else, it is unlikely it is a diet problem. Many dogs, if not over fed, will continually be looking for additional chow, check him against LongLiveYourDog.com - Life Span Study - Rate Your Dog

RubyPitbull made some good suggestions. A more stimulating life solves many problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Itchy bum and licking paws [ 5 Answers ]

Kyra is a 2yr old staffy,female. She has ben licking her paws and scratching her backside on the carpet for sometime. Have taken her to vet and this stopped for while but then pessisted again. He came us some cream for her paws and bum. Not sure what else to do?? Cheers

Dog Licking Her Paws [ 4 Answers ]

I Have A 7 Year Old ****zu Who We Rescued From A Centre. Since We Adopted Her We Have Had Her On Numeroius Occasions To The Vets As Hse Is Constantly Licking Her Paws The Vet Says Its Her Anal Glands But We Have Had These Emptied Every time We Go And Within Days She Has Started Again. Has Anyone...

Dog licking [ 2 Answers ]

My dog recently started licking everything. He licks the sofa, the bed, our skin, the carpet. We have had him for 8 years and he has always been the perfect dog. We are just curious. Just for your info, he recently had a check up and was diagnosed with heart murmur, and also never urinated in...

DOG SUTURES.to keep from licking.asap [ 5 Answers ]

My dog just got neutered and she keeps trying to lick her sutures... and I am going to have to go to work tomorrow all day and I don't want her to take them out.. the vet didn't give us anything to give her.. what can I do.. PLEASE HELP:(FAST

Licking [ 2 Answers ]

I Have A 10 Month Old Puppy .her Problem Is Licking People .how Can I Break This Habit?

View more questions Search