Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boldlygoer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2005, 06:24 PM
    Slow Tub/shower drain
    My first attempt so please bear with me.
    By the time I finish a shower I'm in ankle deep water. Tub drains, but slowly. Can't get the drain out so removed the plate below the faucet and ran the snake through there. Got around all the bends and went the length of the snake -- about 20 ft. Didn't run into anything -- snake came back relatively clean. Toilet in same bathroom doesn't seem to have any problems. Got any suggestions? Thanks for listening.
    Ralph Clark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 10, 2005, 07:12 AM
    Good morning Ralph,
    Since you can't snake from a tub drain the overflow plate is the only way you can get in.
    Let's do the shower first and see if it helps the tub. Shower clogs consists of rotting hair matted in with grease from the soap.
    The shower branch needs to be snaked and flushed out clear. Let me show you how. First remove the strainer,(TIP: put the screws in the soap dish. They will be hard to replace if they go down the drain.) Now work your snake past the trap and 10 or15 feet beyond. When you pull the snake back it should have the hair that was clogging your shower on the auger tip. Now pour 1/4 gallon of bleach down in the trap and let it set over night. Next morning pour a pan of boiling down the shower to clear what's left and make your drain smell nice.
    Good luck, tom
    boldlygoer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2005, 02:22 PM
    Speedball1,
    Thanks for the speedy reply. You're dealing with a real novice here. The shower drain and the tub drain are one in the same. Seems that the only option is to go down the overflow opening (after taking the plate off). And I've tried that to no avail. What am I missing? Is there some way I can get the drain stopper out -- in a way that I can use it again?
    Sure appreciate your help.
    Ralph
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 10, 2005, 03:39 PM
    Hey Ralph,

You can not snake a tub from the drain, period. You will run into a tee you can't get past. You must go down the overflow plate. You will hit the trap about18" down. Crank and work your way around the return bend of the trap and put out about 15 feet more. When you pull the snake back it should have the hair that was clogging your tub on the auger tip. Now pour 1/4 gallon of bleach down in the trap and let it set over night. Next morning pour a pan of boiling down the shower to clear what's left and make your drain smell nice. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow drain? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello my name is kristin and my bathtub is draining extremely slow. I have tried the lliquid products and they are not working I have also tried using a plunger and that does apsolutely nothing. I have a feeling that it could be plugged because it does not have a hair catch. Any suggestions?

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

2nd story tub/shower drain slow [ 1 Answers ]

House is 35 years old and the shower tub (2nd floor) combination drains very slow.I have took off the drain screen and noticed that about 2 -3 inches below screen the drain has something that turns the water to drain. I cannot not snake from here because snake would not get past this piece. Any...

Extremely Slow Shower Drain [ 5 Answers ]

The drain in my shower is extremely slow. I have tried using common liquid clog removers, but they have not helped one bit. I have also tried to use an Auger that I have, but I can get no further than a couple of inches into the drain. When I look down the drain there is actually water that is...

Slow shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

My shower drain is draining very slow. I cleaned out the trap, I adjusted the drain plug assembly, I even took out the cleanouts in the main drain and ran a snake through it. But the drain is still slow. Could it be the vent, because it's the only thing I haven't checked yet. If it is the vent...

View more questions Search