Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ptnoble Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 04:05 PM
    20amp vs. 15amp outlets
    Is there anything inherently different between 15amp and 20amp outlets? Outlets labeled 20a are about 3-4 times more expensive than the ones labeled 15a. My buddy with a fair amount of experience advises me to buy 15a outlets and hook them up to my 12 gauge wire running back to 20amp breakers. While this may not follow the label he says people do it all the time and there's no issue. Good advice?
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Some 15 amp receptacles have the wire (14 gage ) push into holes on the back of it , the 12 gage wire will not fit into these holes ,

Jul 17, 2007, 04:25 PM
    But if I am content to use the screws on the side of the outlet instead of the push-in holes?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Using all 15 amp devices on a 20 amp circuit builds in some added protection by derating the circuit as 15 amp outlets will limit the size of any appliance to 15 amps. Only using 20 amp outlets where a 20 amp appliance is, these have the two flat blades perpendicular, will keep the expense down and reduce risk of overloading the cable.

Always use the side screw terminals or the clamping type that tightens with a screw. The push in style is a popular cause of service calls.
    jobberknoll Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 02:26 AM
    Yes there's a diff bet the two outlet the 15A can accommodate an appliance with amp rating up to 15A only, if over up to 20A you are overloading the receptacle but not the cable if the cable is designed to handle a 20A load, but if your appliance are all rated 15A and below there's no harm if using an outlet rated 15A connected to a cable rated for 20A load.

Aug 2, 2007, 10:49 AM
    What appliances these days draw more than 15A 110v? A hair dryer is the only one I can think of. Even most plug in heaters don't exceed 15A. Are there others I am not thinking of? Because, assuming jobberknoll is correct, I am inclined to go with 15A outlets (bc they're cheaper) wired to 12ga wire and a 20A circuit breaker. That way I am in less danger of overloading the whole circuit from running appliances at the same time off multiple outlets.
    jobberknoll Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 09:24 PM
    Correct me if am wrong but now a days most of appliances are pure electronics not electro mechanical which means less amperage, anyway I check some of my appliance w/c rate 15A below ,say personnal ref, water dispenser , mini component, deskfan, standfan, desktop computers, radios, and many more , anyway if the amount diff is not that much for safety just go with the 20A receptacle according to the design.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Switching from 15AMP breaker to 20AMP [ 6 Answers ]

I am contemplating switching my 15AMP breaker into a 20AMP breaker because the lights flicker in my home office because my computer and printer eat up a lot of power. If I switch breakers, will this help my power problem? Or I am limited to the gauge of the wires in the wall? Thanks for the...

20amp plug with 30 amp outlet [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a used tanning bed with a 220 plug and 20 amps.the outlet I am going to use is 220 volts and 30 amps.will this work , or will it damage something?

20amp circuit breaker, 15 amp receptacles [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 20amp circuit breaker with 15 amp receptacles and light switches on #12 wire with a load of 1700, is this allowable? If not, and I change to a 15 amp circuit breaker, is the 1440 watt safety load in the code or is it a non-code safety suggestion?

15amp or 20amp? [ 2 Answers ]

Does the 2005 NEC allow bedroom and living room outlets to be on a 15amp circuit? I am familiar with the 80% rule. Thanks in advance. Tom

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

View more questions Search