Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linasdg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2007, 02:01 AM
    Invoice issued to customer as down payment
    What is the correct journal entry for the invoice issued to customer as down payment?
    Zero Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Jul 29, 2007, 03:14 PM
    If you are raising an invoice the entry would be credit sales or credit deferred income within the Balance Sheet (depending on the revenue recognition criteria set by the GAAP you are preparing the accounts under i.e. US GAAP, UK GAAP, IAS etc. The debit entry would be to debtors (accounts receivables).
    Zero Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Jul 30, 2007, 12:55 PM
    See the edited entry above.
    Smith21000 Posts: 69, Reputation: 9

Jul 30, 2007, 01:10 PM
    The correct entry is to debit A/R and credit Deferred revenue (liability). Once the you have met the revenue recognition requirements per GAAP then you would debit Deferred Revenue (liability) and credit Sales Revenue. If you need to know what the revenue recognition requirements are please write back and we can go from there. :) In regards to the actual producing of the invoice your system is probably setup up by default to automatically debit A/R and credit Sales Revenue. Generally there is a drop down box which allows you to change where the credit will go, therefore change it to Deferred Revenue (liability). I hope this helps!
    linasdg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 09:43 PM
    Thanks a lot, it answered my question. Yes I want to know more about revenue recognition requirements.
    Smith21000 Posts: 69, Reputation: 9

Jul 31, 2007, 06:43 AM
    The following link gives a simple explanation of revenue recognition: Revenue Recognition Principle

If you need something more in depth I can also provide additional information or if your conducting business in the field of construction, oil and gas, or another unique industry where it may be hard to determine when revenues are realized or realizable and earned, let me know and we can proceed from there. Hope all this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Invoice total [ 4 Answers ]

Do you include shipping on your invoice total. Example: Quantity Unit Descrption Unit Price 150 ea. Calculator 10.63 150 ea. ...

Can a collections agency refuse payment or payment arrangement ? [ 2 Answers ]

I owe a hospital bill of $1000 from back in march and it has gone to a collections agency. Now my problem is, my insurance company actually sent me the check to make the payment. They instructed me to put it into my checking account then send a personal check to the creditor. However when I put...

Confusion over nyc issued 1099 Misc form, NJ issued W2, and state taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am a canadian citizen and a non resident alien, graduate student in NJ. I reside in NJ and worked as an independent contractor in NYC over last summer. Since I worked on campus for a few months lst year, I was issued a W2 form for $732 in the state of NJ. I also worked as an...

Mechandising of invoice prices [ 3 Answers ]

Merchandise with an invoice price of $4000 is purchased on June 2 subject to terms of 2/10, n/30, fob destination. Transportation costs paid by the seller totaled $150. What is the cost of the merchandise if paid by June 12, assuming the discount is taken? My answer is $3920 with the 20%...

View more questions Search